Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Tramadol addiction can anyone help?

Hiya I was wondering if anyone can help me? Ive been addicted to tramadol for about 2 years now and was addicted to codeine for 6 years. I live in the UK and as such very little is known about this problem and not alot of people understand or are willing to understand what I am going through. I am currently taking 200mg a day which I have managed to taper down from 800mgs. I know the w/d's are going to start soon because I drop down to 150mgs tomorrow a level which I know my body finds hard to deal with. I have tried "cold turkey" before and also a rapid detox both of which didn't work and left me feeling really depressed to the point where I am suicidal, unable to sleep because of hot cold sweats through the night and also leg cramps and spasms. The longest Ive managed to go without tramadol is 3 weeks and for the whole time I couldn't sleep and I just cried all the time and my energy levels were at an all time low. My doctor has been brilliant in helping me through this but I saw a psychiatric nurse who told me this was all in my head and that tramadol isn't an addictive drug and depression was just stress due to a few money worries I have. If anyone can answer all or some of the questions I have I would be really grateful. The first is why am I addicted to this drug and why when I come down off them my life doesn't seem worth living? Is it all in my head or is what I am feeling real? How long does the tramadol w/d's last for and will I ever get to the point where I feel I don't need them to enjoy life again? If anyone can help, it would be great Im at my witts end!
21 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
144586 tn?1284666164
You know, I thought about my response and I thought about the shakespeare quote "methinks the lady doth protesteth too much." Drgus affect different people in different ways. Thus, when you review the PDR you find that some people have very bad reactions and others experience none at all. There are obvious genetic componants to the issue. The fact I had a terrible experience with tramadol does not mean your physician is in any way a poor doctor for prescribing it. The human body has more than one pain mechanism, and they have not been thoroughly investigated. Also, the precise mechanism of action of these drugs is not entirely clear. I had no withdrawel from tramadol, and perhaps, for certain kinds of problems it is useful. When I started on that drug I felt like the character in the short story "Flowers for Algernon". My ability to read complex technical material simply vanished. "Poof." So your physician is definitely NOT guilty of malpractice for prescribing this medication. Just be aware, that for some people, it can adversely affect the quality of life. I was one of those patients. Perhaps the small part of the bell curve. Every viewpoint with regards to a specific drug tends to be myopic.
Helpful - 1
144586 tn?1284666164
I was prescribed tramadol after a spinal injury and I have never taken a drug with worse side effects, from decreasing IQ to headaches, to becoming a danger when driving. I had no withdrawel symptoms, but I can think of no known use for this drug, except perhaps as an instrument of torture at Guantanamo. Perhaps they should try it as a cockroach poison. It did nothing for the pain, but affected my judgement, my emotions and my interactions with others became a mess. Yuch!
Helpful - 1
i have been addicted to tramadol for for the past 12 months prior to this is was and still am addicted to codeine. in the past 12 months i have used 1320 tramadol 100mg M/R as my doctor has just informed me and everyday i will purchase 30 Solphedine Max tablets. I have just spoken with my doctor and i have finally admitted that i have had a problem since 2003! I want to come off all these tablets and actually feel something normal and natural but i am so scared of the withdrawls. i take that much tramadol i actually have OD side effects where i can not lift my head or even get up for a full 254 hours. The doctor now will see me every 7 days and gice me 14 tramadol and as i type this i have already necked 5 in 1 go (ashamed of myself) Please could someone help me and give me hints on how i do this? I will also be seeing a mental health nurse who will see where the under lying problem comes from. Thank You
Helpful - 0
Hi Sweety I hope you don't still require any advice six years on but I am sure there are many others out there that might for what it’s worth. I think you explain your position extremely well.  Are you really saying the psychiatric nurse was suggesting your physical withdrawal symptoms were all in your mind? If so that is clearly wrong, and for the nurse to say Tramadol is not physically addictive is also wrong, that nurse needs to be educated in addiction because she is doing more harm than good. Tramadol is an opiate and as such binds to the same receptors in the brain as all other opiates including Heroin so causes physical addiction. 800mg is 16 x 50mg a day which is getting on for a handful. You have done great to taper off but from my experience with tramadol it just seems impossible to wean down to zero without suffering bad withdrawal. There is a way where you won't have to suffer hardly any withdrawal at all and I have put a short video on youtube explaining how to do it. It entails using a legal leaf called Kratom and is good  for coming off. Have a look at this link and you can also see my ugly mush too, you will see I am also English.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0OAOyAsydM   just copy and paste it into either your menu bar or google. You will not get addicted to Kratom in a few days if you use it as I advise and I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you follow it through.  But having read your post Sweety 123 my money is on you being an addict in the psychological sense of the word in other words you are self-medicating because of issues in your life quite apart from your physical addiction, you may need to resolve these issues to break your psychological addiction so you don’t relapse. There are a few indicators that seem to flag this up including your previous use of codeine and other things you mention in your post. If you keep relapsing you must seek help at an addiction clinic there is no shame in this as addiction is an illness not deviant behaviour. My video will only show you how to break the physical addiction to Tramadol / Ultram. Try to view addiction in two parts the physical and the psychological. There are some people who will go through the psychical withdrawal and never crave a drug again these people are not addicts whilst others will crave a substance after going through the physical withdrawal because they have addiction problems and these people need to have intensive treatment which may include going to group meetings AA or NA for many years or the rest of their lives. Addiction is a progressive and terminal illness if not treated, it cannot be cured but you can arrest its progression buy managing it, also very few if any can do it on their own so it’s best to seek help if you keep relapsing.
Helpful - 0
2011031 tn?1328285167
hi I was addicted for the same amount of time. Suicidal is right, get help. I had a big strong man to hold me down. I told him what my problem was showed him all prescriptions I had and I burned them myself. I yelled, screamed, went about nuts. Had my mom watch my son for a week. Still worked, very very hard. so please please do not go cold turkey like I did, but please get off this stuff, it will reek havok with your mind, for chills, sweats and so forth, all I did was tylenol and ib profin, hot batEchs when I could. anger, I got lucky, got to yell scream and kick the **** out of my sparring partner, lol. then I would watch funny movies cause I found myself crying at everything. Its been almost two weeks and I am still sick but will never go back. Epsome salt baths for achey muscles, comfort food for the long nights with no sleep, and someone that will listen-even its just me. Let me know. If there is anything I can say enough of NO cold TURKEY
Helpful - 0
Hi, I've just read your post about Tramadol and want to share what's happening to me.  I was prescribed tramadol 18 months ago for hip pain.  I had no idea that there was a potential for addiction.  Neither did it say anything about that in the information.  I've been trying on and off to stop it with absolutely no success since last summer.  I experience a whole host of nasty symptoms and the worst is depression, anxiety, and aggressiveness.  I become a psychiatric case within hours of cutting out just one dose.  It's frightening!  I've attacked my husband on several occasions as well as punching my face and tearing my hair.  I now call it the crazies.  This behaviour is the exact opposite to the person that I am.  My doctor has become part of the problem now since he refuses to accept that what I have is an addiction and has told me to just substitute paracetamol for tramadol.  What a joke!  When I last saw him I wanted to attack him for the stupid attitude that he has.  This man has no idea of what it's like and he is the one who prescribed the darn stuff now, he thinks all I have to do is just cut back with no problems.  I'm going to take action first by writing a letter to him and then making a formal complaint to the NHS.  If that doesn't work then I'll talk to a solicitor and pursue things legally.  All I want is the proper help and support to come off this nasty stuff but, when I asked for that I hit a brick wall because my GP doesn't accept that tramadol is as bad as it is.  Here's the irony... I'm a non drinker, I've never smoked a cigarette in my life and I've never done drugs of any kind.  Then, I get to 60 years old and end up addicted to a prescribed medicine.  What a joke, ugh!  Best wishes, Sylvia.  Ps.. I'm a Scot, too.
Helpful - 0
I Have been taking Tramadol for several years and agree it is very addictive and almost impossible to get off once you have been on a dosage of 200mg a day, I have tried to cut down but find the sweats anxiety and feelings of depression much to hard to handle, my doctor has not been much help the only advice he gave was to cut down in my own time, Tramadol I feel is a very addictive drug and should not be prescribed for mild pain, I am really angry that I was given this prescription drug without being informed of the addictive nature of this medicine and would gladly accept any advice from others who are suffering the same addiction.
Roy
Helpful - 0
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, MY BOYFRIEND HAS BEEN ON TRAMADOL FOR A YEAR AND IS SOOOO ANGRY, HE HAS CHANGED WE DONT HAVE SEX ANYMORE AND I MISS HIM SO MUCH, he is always awake day and night, he has no motivation and he is not affectionate to me, he tells me it is my fault the relationship has come to this through nagging, I have now started anti depressents so that i dnt stress him up! he has said things to me that hurt, like  he told me im a washed up old scab and he calls me names in arguments like a sad dirty lying c..t he tells me he is going to leave me because im not supportive, but i can see that deep down he doesnt mean it and its the pills. he is a nice guy and has a good heart, these pills are ruining our lifes and im sad because i love him so much. please help me i want my man back.
Helpful - 0
199177 tn?1490498534
AJ.....LOL: dont worry about it I have done it too most of us have :)
avis
Helpful - 0
Please excuse me for being dumb - I just looked at the date of that original post!!!!!!  I'm about 2 1/2 years too late!!  Time to laugh at the newcomer.  Can I use the excuse that I'm on strong meds???!!!!
Helpful - 0
I was put on Tramadol in 1998 after 2 spinal operations (only 10 days apart).  It is a horrible drug (not at the levels of Fentanyl but that's another story) but I also had the overwhelming depression when I didn't take it.  For a couple of years at the beginning I was only taking 200mg and things were ok but as pain levels rose, so did the doseage.  I started taking 400mg, then 500mg until I was taking 700mg a day just to function.  I was working full time in the ambulance service (not on the road -in the control room) and found it harder and harder to do my job.  That's when I was switched to Fentanyl.

However, even though I was on that, I continued to take Tramadol.  Not always for pain - quite often just to control the w/d effects, even though I was still on another and much stronger opiate.  I'd find myself bursting into tears for no reason, arguing with people I'd always got on with.  I hated myself and everything that I'd become.  It was all the drug so I really know exactly how you feel.

I've been off Tramadol a while now (and coming off Fentanyl at the moment).  It's not easy.  Although I haven't really had physical wd, I've hit an emotional black hole that part of me wants to fill with Tramadol.  I am going to remain strong and get through it thanks to the support of friends and family.  I'm here if you want to PM me - have a good rant, have a good cry.  Stay positive - it DOES get better.  And every day is a step closer to your goal.

Face your Fears, Live Your Dreams
Helpful - 0
tramadol is the solutions for all ur problems!! thats how it seems to be.
when i was 19 i used to have ramadol,ultradol,tamol etc.. for like 4 years continuously.. i lost alot of weight and the day i dnt have any seemed like a hell very nervouse... depressed.. i was gonna commit suicide alot of times , i left my country egypt and i went to dubai .. then after 1 year i got married , am not listing my story to solve any of ur problems guys because me myself i dint find a solution for mine.. my solution was leaving my country which was the medicine there allowed for everybody to dubai where its prohibited..and i think if i went back to egypt i`ll be addicted again! all i wanna say to those who are addicted.. god be wth u because i really know how horrible it is..!
Helpful - 0
Hello, I am new to this forum but not new to addiction.  I have been through it all.  I was off of pain killers mostly for almost 2 years and then started taking tramadol.  I get it wherever I can and currently pay too much for it online stores.  I take up to 500 mg a day and am just maintaining a normal mood.  When I taper off I am fine but when I run out and havent had any for 24 hours I feel horrible.  I haven't actually tried to quit yet, I should but am not mentally ready to.  I know that it is addictive physically and psychologically.  Anything that affects your seratonin levels is psychologically and physically addictive.  When you have been taking an effective dose for a long period of time your body forgets how to inhibit serotonin re-uptake on its own.  It will remember in time, but it can take up to a month or more to completely feel better.  The first time I tried detoxing I had to get brave and tell my doctor and get his help or I wouldn't have been able to do it.  I suspect it will be the same again.  Good luck to all.  Any questions?  I am willing to answer.
Helpful - 0

First time i took tramadol was in 1999
in the first 3 monthes I did not find that this was addictive , I was 18 years old.
2000-2002 I used to take it 3 times per week 400 mg in day.Then the tramadol became prohibited,
and has been considered as a drug.to have it you must get a prescription from a doctor.
I stopped then because it was vimpossible having it.
In May 2005 I found another way to get it but with a very high prices.
I just take it to feel happy and self-confident.
These days I take 500 mg ultradol every day for more than 20 monthes now.
The main problem is that I am addicted psychologically more than physically.
It became my only pleasure,that i can spend more than 1/3 of my salary to get it.
And you have to know that I live in a poor country where the life is difficult
and very expensive while the salaries are very low.
I did not try to stop. But when I don't take it for a day I feel headache , weak ,
depression , sleeping problem , lazy, bad mood.
Tramadol is very addictive .I have used to take it just to be in normal mood .
Please help me.
PLEASE TELL ME:IS TRAMADOL USAGE OVER A LONG TERM CAN AFFECT BADLY THE LIVER OR REINS OR
ANY OTHER PARTS IN THE BODY?!!!!!!
How can I stop it?
shall i take another alternative medicine not addictive to help and to decrease the stopping symptoms?

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP   E MAIL: ***@****
Helpful - 0
Yes, i did find a clinic, NO i will not take the Tramadol they gave to help me withdraw from loratab. i have been weaning myself down and am feeling better. thank you all ssoo much.
Helpful - 0
i really like your input, thanks for the kind remarks you made to me. they really did help me.
Helpful - 0
I have been on tramadol..... beleive when i say it is NOT addicting. You are telling yourself that it is and that you want it. But it is not. I have been every drug known to man. Vicoden I think was the werst for me.

The hot and cold flashes you are geting is in your mind. All you need to is this. Well I am not sure if you still get this medication but all you need to do is taper down so your body and mind thinks you are still getting it. But the hot flashes only last a couple of days. You feel as though you really need it but you dont. I am not sure what you need it for but you can stop taking it with out any worries.

Also you can ask for robaxin it is a muscle relaxer that will stop the hot and cold flashes. I know what it is like to wake up sweating but yet be cold beleive me. but you can only take these pills at night. as they are addicting as well. but will work. you only need a weeks worth.

I hope this works.

Your friend

Ash
Helpful - 0
hang in there everyone... I didn't know that tramadol was addicting I have been using it to help with the withdrawl from the vicodin. It has helped but now what I have been clean for 8 days from vicodin and on tramadol everyday sence. I take two a day... great now this withdrawl .... I have been very sick.. Any suggestions to my madness... HELP

trixie1111
Helpful - 0
There was a post in the mental health forum regarding tramadol.  It's here.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/MentalHealth/messages/33342.html

I think tramadol is an absolutely horrible drug.  I was on it for about a year and coming off was absolute hell.  I personally found it easier to come off percocette then tramadol.

It is absolutely not in your head.  I don't know anyone who has had to take this drug for more then a few days who hasn't had withdrawl issues.  Your therapist really needs to research the drug more.

Good luck.
Helpful - 0
You might want to refer to the the 2003 Archives.  Go to the string entitled "Thomas Recipie".  It's dated 3/21/03.  Here is a copy of that recipie (although, I've only seen it referred to for Vicodin withdrawal, I assume it would be effective concerning any opiate derivative).  It's all vitamins, herbs and minerals available at any retail drug store and vitamin store.  Here it is:

Thomas Detox Recipe

PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor, simply a long-time Rx opiate junkie who has had many opportunities to develop a way to detox. This is a recipe for at-home self-detox from opiates based on my experience as well as that of many other addicts. It is not intended as professional medical advice. It is always wise to make sure none of the recipe ingredients or procedures conflict with medications you may be taking. Likewise, if you have any medical condition, disease, allergy or any other health issue, consult your doctor before using the recipe. Thanks, Thomas

This recipe is designed for cold turkey opiate detox. It assumes that you can get about 5 to 7 days away from your job or household responsibilities during which you can sleep, veg and act as miserable as you feel. Opiate WD mimics the symptoms of the common flu, so, if you need a smokescreen, hide behind a bad case of the flu.

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper and Magnesium.

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

With breakfast, take the mineral supplement.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

PLEASE NOTE: If you have any medical complications, first check with your doctor before detoxing to verify that this regimen is safe for you.
Helpful - 0
Does anyone have their own experiences of tramadol? I feel as though this is all in my mind and Im the only one going through this!!!
Please help......
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.