Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Cymbalta

Has anybody on here used cymbalta (sp?) to help with the withdrawls and depression? My Dr. is putting me on that and I was just wondering if any of you have had sucess with it?
32 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I take it for the effects of Lyme Disease....DON' T DO IT. I've never noticed the benefits of it. Trying to get off now and it's a nightmare.
Helpful - 0
I have been on cymbalta for 12 years and for at least 10 I seemed to have gotten so much worse in health I've lost the feeling in my toe's and spots on my feet it has started creeping up my legs I have been having blackouts and fainting for about 7 years I get to were I can't talk good I've been having extreme tiredness I've got to where I can't remember anything I  hallucinate for several years what time I'm not past out all I want to do is sleep I have confusion when I wake from a blackout I might remember who my live in boyfriend for 16 is and I might not for a few minutes I practically stay uncoordinated all the time I was diagnosed several years ago with boarder line personality disorder and major depression I have several deteriorated and bulging disc in my neck and lower back I only take 300 mg.of trazodone I have to take 40mg. of protonix for my stomach it hurts all the time and the cymbalta 90mg. aday I don't get much medical help because they want put me on my disability insurance which I consider sense I can't drive or go anywhere by myself I can't hardly walk I use a cane and walker I can fall out at any time and hurt my self bad which I've done several times I don't have all the use of my left arm because of a car accident but in the state of Mississippi I'm still not considered disabled I can't afford good insurance because I'm not able to work to get the help that I need if it wasn't for my boyfriend I would be out in the streets I am a white female 50 years old and screwed like I said the state of Mississippi is the sorriest state they are and the cheapest on any kind of government help for someone like me I'm not on any kind of welfare but nobody gives a good   dam I don't know if the cymbalta is making my symptoms worse I've been on them so long the regular doctors I've seen and the neurologist I've seen can't tell me a dam thing about what is wrong with me that's causing all these symptoms because all of the doctors and they have been several over the years don't give a **** in Mississippi so now anybody got a answer for me on what to do
Helpful - 0
I was wondering if this med feels like lyrica i am a addict and when i do mess up i abuse what i find to get me high i am on suboxen but everyone inawhile ill take lyrica i have body mostly leg pains but i also like the way it feels
Helpful - 0
9880688 tn?1414115647
Hi hun

You've posted on a very old thread.  If you go to the top of the page and press the post a new question button you can repost so everyone will see it.  We would love to support and help you through your ordeal.
Helpful - 0
I was on Cymbalta for fibromyalgia for 12 years. It didnt have much effect on the fibro but REALLY helped my ongoing anxiety and depression, which I understand are some of the many symptoms of fibromyalgia....
For the past 10 years I had been dealing with terrible acid reflux, nausea, headaches, lower back pain and sleeplesness. I suspicioned the Cymbalta....
As the reflux progressed to almost excruciating proportion, painful lower back misery and having to take meds nightly to sleep I decided to stop the Cymbalta cold turkey....
WOW! Then came the  dizziness, the infamous "brain snaps", mental fog ten times worse than fibro fog. Stomach ache, anxiety, aggression, headaches, crying jags and anti-social anxiety....
These withdrawal symptoms ALL in one week!
Im going to live but HOW friggin' uncomfortable...
Im praying this second week beings me some peace...
In short, Cymbalta hindered more than it helped.
Im going totally herbal and homeopathic after this ordeal....
Not totally ruling out Pot after this excorcism.....

Helpful - 0
Could you tell me please what you are taking Cymbalta for? My Dr got me on it for damaging nerve pain,  osteoarthritis pain. My dosage is 20mg twice a day,  so far I can't tell any difference.  A bit jittery and a couple days of mild nausea,  some funny feeling bone pain all over.  Been on it for 21 and 1/2 days so far.  Eyesight a bit double once in a while. Anyone who can help me to know what all this is about?  
Helpful - 0
Yes! I used it correctly for pain. The side effects I was having ON the medication(dry mouth, weight gain, restless leg syndrome, rashes) were enough to make me to want off. I did not know about the withdrawal.. My doctor casually said to take it every other day for one week, then stop. During that week it started: nausea, brain zaps, aches all over. I cannot express how bad all of this was.  ( note: I am not a wuss.  I broke my leg inter tubing in the snow, but I got up, and it hurt, but everyone said it couldn't be broken if I could stand on it. So I limped around. When the coloring got bad then I went to the doctor. That resulted in it being reset, and being in a cast for 10 weeks. I would rather have the broken leg experience again ten times over than experience cymbalta withdrawal.)
Helpful - 0
My husband too Cymbalta for about 6 mos or so.

Made him completely psycho. It has side affect if obsessive thought.  Luke gambling or sex addictions etc. fir him, he got VERY VERY angry at me. To the point he wanted to hurt me. It terrified him. When he finally told his Dr he took him off immediately. Didn't even wean him. He was ok. A couple weeks later he was back to being himself again.

Be careful with how it affects your moods.
Helpful - 0
to answer you, yes it does...I have been taking 40mg once daily for about 6 months, I have fibromyalgia, I was kind of steered/pressured towards Cymbalta, as according to my last Doctor the only good form of anti-depressant recommended for fibromyalgia. Funny thing was I didn't even ask for the change to my meds, I was doing good on my current regiment. Well after months of no depression relief on Cymbalta, and at the Doctor's suggestion that I see a therapist first, I asked to go back to Prozac, because, well it worked. For me I didn't miss doses, I keep everything in pill containers for the day, and I never took more than the daily 40mg presciribed. I am a high functioning Fibromyalgia patient, but a side effect of Fibromyalgia is your chemicals are off, which causes depression...I went to see another Doctor, this Doctor was not aware of the withdrawal symptoms of discontinuing Cymbalta, just that its not recommended that I take it with the Prozac, she said quit the Cymbalta and she would see me back in 2 weeks and she would prescribe the Prozac. Well that was a last Monday, its Saturday, I have never felt headaches and pain like this in my life, and I have fibromyalgia, I know pain. I have made the decision to stick it out and get off, I don't want to take a drug that is going to makes me feel this way if I were to miss a dose...I feel like this should be on the bottle, some type of warning, I started looking for Cymbalta side effects as that literally is the only change in my life. There is so much on the internet about this being more addictive that heroin...some of the things I am experiencing are debilitating zings, jumps, skips, however you want to describe it, its like someone is hitting your brain with a tazer over and over and over, and its painful, I finally get sleep when I am just so exhausted that my body lets me pass out, and I am on Lyrica, and Celebrex for pain relief right now. I am so angry about this drug and am determined to get off of it. What I want to know is how long am I going to feel like this, I pray its not months. Right now I am just trying to find information on any drug addiction to help ease me out of the funk. My hubby and my Doctor have suggested taking some pain killers for the headaches and pain but what's the point, its just swapping one addiction for another....anyway I know I am a little carried away with my rant, but I am pissed, they should not be marketing Cymbalta as an anti-depressant, it should be ranked up there with opiates, and it should come with a warning that's it is just as addictive or more so than heroin.
Helpful - 0
the withdrawal sympoms suck i ran out a few days ago i get angrey for no reason i cry over nothing if i knew all this i wouldnt have got on it so if u havent started taking it DONT my name is ashley and im 19
Helpful - 0
I was on cymbalta for almost 4 yrs. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I never had any side effects at all. I was diagnosed post traumatic syndrome. I took 60mgs a day. They worked wonders for me along with therapy. I credit them for saving my life and my sanity. I took myself off them when i felt I no longer needed them. I weaned off slowly. It has now been a year since completely off them. I have never felt better. good luck no matter what your choice. Not every med is good for all.
Helpful - 0
My Dr. recently just put me on it and it works for me. I don't know why or how but I am happier. It has been nearly 2 weeks since I've been on it and well I like it so far.
Helpful - 0
My Dr. recently just put me on it and it works for me. I don't know why or how but I am happier. It has been nearly 2 weeks since I've been on it and well I like it so far.
Helpful - 0
271792 tn?1334979657
Hi Brandy!

Just wanted to let you know that the original poster started this thread in 2006. It is nearly 3-1/2 years old and that poster is not currently posting in this community.

If you would like to share your experiences with the members currently here, go to the top of this page and hit the green "Post A Question" button. Follow the instructions to start your own post and let the members get to know you.

Hope to see you stick around!
Helpful - 0
1283286 tn?1312911966
I had one short experience with cymbalta Brandy. I consider myself lucky to have walked away from it when I did. I started experiencing all kinds of problems I couldn't sort out. After the fact I found a forum that was dedicated to people that had gotten caught up in horrible wd's...Some say it does wonders, some say its evil..I would say its worse than oxycontins as far as withdrawals...Thats my feelings about the stuff..
Helpful - 0
NO CYMBALTA IS FOR DEPPRESSION BUT IT HELPS WITH PAIN ALSO (IN A WAY) IT DOES HELP BURNING SENSATIONS FROM DIABETIC NEURAPATHY AND IT MAY HELP SOME BACK PAIN IN SOME PEOPLE, NOT EVERYONE.

I THINK IT CAN HAVE A DEPENDENCY JUST BECAUSE IT HELPS PAIN (SOME)

NOT AN ADDICTION (NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS !!!!!!!

BUT SOME SAY THAT THEY WERE ADDICTED, I DUNNO... I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON THE PERSON....

GOOD LUCK ALL!

P.S   OF COURSE YOU ARE GOING TO READ BAD THINGS ABOUT ALL MEDICATIONS ONLINE, MOST ARE NOT TRUE. I NEVER HAD ANY BAD SIDE EFFECTS.

THE ONLY SIDE EFFECT FOR ME WAS 30LB WEIGHT LOSS, COMMON SIDE EFFECT (GOOGLE IT)

OTHER THEN THAT OF COURSE YOU WILL READ HORROR STORIES OF DIFFERENT MEDS ALL THE TIME, NEVER READ THINGS ONLINE BECAUSE IT JUST MAKES YOU WORRY. MY MOM ALWAYS SAIS DONT READ THINGS ONLINE BECAUSE IT WILL JUST SCARE YOU (DR SAIS THE SAME THING)
Helpful - 0
CYMBALTA HAS BEEN A GOD SENT FOR ME, IT HAS HELPED MY NERVE PAIN AS I GET BURNING IN MY FEET AND HELPS MILDLY FOR SOME PAIN AS DOES LYRICA I TAKE... I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY WITHDRWAL EFECTS FROM IT AND I TAKE 60MG MORNING AND 60MG NIGHT. THE ONLY TIME I EVER WENT OFF IS WHEN I FORGOT IT ON VACATION ONE TIME BUT I WAS FINE WITHOUT IT.

AS WITH PAIN MEDS ON THE OTHER HAND, NOW THAT IS A DIFFERENT STORY....

THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY THAT WAS WHEN I WAS OFF CYMBALTA THE BURNING IN MY FEET CAME BACK SLIGHTLY WORSE THEN BEFORE... NOTHING MAJOR AND NO WITHDRAWAL FROM IT.

NOW WITH LORTABS I HAD WITHDRAWAL AS WITH TRAMADOL. THEY SAY TRAMADOL IS NOT ADDICTING BUT IT CERTAINLY IS.... I WOULD NOT START IT.

AGAIN CYMBALTA AND LYRICA HAS HELPED MY BACK SOMEWHAT AND THE BURNING IN MY FEET A LOT!!!!! I WOULD GIVE IT A TRY.

I CAN SAY THAT I DON'T WANNA BE WITHOUT IT BECAUSE IT WORKS SO WELL. I WOULDN'T CALL THAT AN ADDICTION. VS NO WITHDRAWAL EFFECTS. MAYBE SLIGHT DEPENDENCY WITH SOME PEOPLE.

GOOD LUCK!~
Helpful - 0
521742 tn?1255107015
I take Cymbalta and it is just GREAT for me. Any side effects I had went away after a few weeks, someone up there said something about taking it a few days you need to be on it at least a month to know how its going to effect u. And u are supposed to start and a low dose and then have it raised if needed ur NOT supposed to take anyone elses pills. I feel better than I have in YEARS and Im sure getting off the pills made a difference but I dont think I wouldve had such success without Cymbalta!!!
Helpful - 0
I had no idea the side effects and withdrawl from cymbalta.  I am on it for diabetic neuropathy. All my nerves in my feet are damaged from my diabetes.  Cymbalta has really helped me. I have been on it a few years now.  I will never stop using it....I almost lost both feet due to my diabetes, and this stuff really works for me....funny thing it doesn't touch any pain except the nerve pain.  I am on day 15 off dilaudid and soma, and STILL shaking.   Jerri
Helpful - 0
557230 tn?1269429829
I have been off oxycodone for 27 days.  I was started on Cymbalta almost 2 weeks ago, but more for the depression and anxiety that got me using in the first place.  The first 2-3 days I had some nausea, diarrhea and INCREASED anxiety. But those symptoms have all resolved. Just in the past 2-3 days, I notice a huge difference.  I feel better now than I have in a long time...even well before I started to use oxycodone.  I too have read about bad withdrawls from Cymbalta, but I am willing to take that risk.  I just could not go on with my life the way it was and the Cymbalta has really made a difference to me.  I would have a good discussion with your doctor about your concerns and make an educated decision.  Best of luck!
Helpful - 0
I' m on cymbalta and i think its very good! Gives a lot of energy and i can stand the litle side effects i have, like  increased sweating, and litle jaw tremor which is reducing by time.
Another side effect i have is delayed ejacuation, but i enoy that.
Helpful - 0
Re:  Cymbalta
3 yrs ago I went thru treatment for opiate withdrawal after many years of self prescribed pain relief.  I had to wait 24hrs and then I was put on suboxone for withdrawal and drug cravings and Cymbalta for pain management and depression.  (I have been on antidepressants for 30yrs.)  Anyway, this combination has been a miracle for me as my pain has been completely manageable with OTC if needed, have had no urge to use, nor any depression issues.  I am someone that will always need to be on some type of antidepressant, so I haven't worried much about the Cymbalta withdrawal,  I am also very involved with  NA, sponsor, steps etc. prayer, meditation and all that.  From my perspective, I use whatever works as long as it keeps me from the insanity of active addiction.
Good luck and God Bless
Helpful - 0
437415 tn?1211829556
I wasn't aware cymbalta was even a pain med.  My step-daughter took it for depression and at first she loved it, but come to think of it when she didn't have it she became really catatonic.  It usually takes antidepressant drugs two weeks or more to even kick in.  I take Prozac (which also helps me through w/d) but some people think it's an absolute evil.  I would just be really careful since you are detoxing and keep a journal you may write in (say three times a day) describing exactly how you feel at that time.

Lisa
Helpful - 0
I was also prescribed Cymbalta and did research on withdrawl and it scared me.I talked to lots of people who had been on it and got mixed reactions.I went ahead and started it and it made me very sick to my stomac.I told my DR and he told me to stop taking them.He said that it works for lots of people, but if you have a bad reaction, it gets worse and worse.He said its not one of those give it a couple of week, pills. Just be careful and weigh the good and the bad.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.