Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Tramadol Addiction

s24
Hello-I am so thankful that I found this forum. It has made me face my fear of getting off of Tramadol. The issue is, I have only been on it for 5 months. I am now up to approx. 15 a day. I have read such horror stories here and am now so scared to stop taking / experiencing withdrawls. Can anyone tell me what I should expect? Is my fear unreasonable because I've been taking it for  a short time? Every time I think of quiting I think of a reason to put it off. I am afraid I won't be able to function.

I cannot talk to my doctor or anyone else about this. I need to get myself off of this. Is there a way to continue life as usual while detoxing from Tramadol? I cannot miss work at this time. ANY advise, thoughts or support would be SO VERY APPRECIATED!
Thank you in advance.
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Ash
my name is kat i am from the uk not sure where your from? I have been taking tramadolor well over a year now. I have tryed to stop so many times but it is really hard and the withdrawel is not pleasent. Although i am still on them and probably not the best person to give advice i do think you should go to the drs they will support in a controlled reduction of the drug. I can speak from experience and say its not easy but it can be done. i am currently on a detox and i am on 3 a day down from 20-25 but i am so scared that i am going to fail i have been on them for so long that its hard to know if i will cope without them. Anyhoo good luck you can do it x
Helpful - 0
Hi iv been on tramadol for two years and today went to see my doctor he was very very helpfull towards my addiction. At my worst which is just recently i was taking 20-30 a day.  I had been cold turkey for two days which was hard enough but your time must have been alot worse. My doctor has prescribed me tramadol which my partner is giving me at the moment at the prescribed dose. Then reduce it weekly. I dont know if this will help you in any way. I hope u get through it.
Helpful - 0
Hi iv been on tramadol for two years and today went to see my doctor he was very very helpfull towards my addiction. At my worst which is just recently i was taking 20-30 a day.  I had been cold turkey for two days which was hard enough but your time must have been alot worse. My doctor has prescribed me tramadol which my partner is giving me at the moment at the prescribed dose. Then reducing the dose by one weekly. I dont know if this will help you in any way. I hope u get through it.
Helpful - 0
I have been clean for a few weeks now. Getting off a mixture of med. Lortabs soma xanax i was perscribe tamadol to help with the w/d. It did not work for me. It made me very aggiated and mean. I never really used it after a couple of times. You should look up tramadol and read just what it is you are getting into. Bad news as far as I am concerned. The w/d can be as bad as the tabs soma or xanax. I was very mad when i read about the tramadol. I was trying to get off addictive meds and was perscribed another addictive med. Don't take it. And if you are trying to get off it you can expect another bout of w/d. None of us need that. Its painful enough going through with no meds. Good luck with it but stay away from it if you can. Maybe ask your doctor for another alternative. I took some perscription  motrin. 600mg works very well for the pain. PLEASE LOOK UP TRAMADOL AND READ WHAT EXACTLY YOU ARE TAKING.You will find its bad news.
Helpful - 0
Hello, i am ok i guess, i have to go to my stepfather of 36 years funeral tomorrow, my mother passed away 3 years ago so its tuff. I am still detoxing doing great i think. i have weaned myself from 10 a day to 7 to 5 and now iam on my 4th day on 3 i will go down to 2 1/2 on my 5th day. I did not tell any of yall this but 9 days ago i fell and broke my wrist in three places and yes friday nite when i was told of the death i blew my 2 good days of detox. i got up sat. and read the threads and started again. i cant believe i would try to wean myself of the meds when i really needed them, isnt it funny how our brain works i think i am trying really hard also to show myself that there is life after loratab!!! This has been an exsperience i will never forget i hope. you know after the 4th day of just weaning myself down i started to fell better, the 1st thru 3rd i was scared i would die, these threads have been a gods blessing to me and the info on the vitimins ohmygosh!!! they are great. i never in 4 to 5 years have been on only 3 tabs a day i am proud of myself but i know i am not safe at all and have a long road ahead, i think my liver must love me. i do feel better even if i am not all the way where i want to go. thank you much -Dawn
Helpful - 0
Sorry to hijack--

Dawnellen, how are you?  I saw that you posted on this thread, and wanted to let you know that I've been thinking of you since your last post.  Did you go through the detox yourself?  How did it go?  Are you okay?
Helpful - 0
ash, did you go off viocodin altogether, then start the tramadol
Helpful - 0
s24
Thank you for responding.

Ash, great advice. I will start today. I really appreciate your advice.

Helpful - 0
I was tramadol for a while. That is what took me off vicoden. but i took it the way i should have. I am not a dr but what you should expect is sweats at night mostly and getting the runs. the best way to get off is wing yourself. instead of popping three take two. then lessen it little by little. replace the one you are not taking with motrin. that will help stop the pain and get you away from the tramadol. believe me it was not easy for me. hell i still have 5 bottles of the **** sitting in my closet and it just sits there i dont touch it. its kind of an reminder of what i should not be taking. for my kids and myself.

good luck with it and i hope you make. my withdrawl only lasted 5 days and was not that bad with the motrin in its place and the emoduim AD for the runs. maybe that can help for you to. if the pain gets to bad dont pop the tramadol take a 2 motrin and then get in a hot bath it works great!

hope things work well.

Ash
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.