Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

TRYING TO BACK OFF HYDROCODONE THEN OOPS

I have been using/abusing Hydrocodone for back pain and depression for about 6 months.  I would not say that I use it for partying, because it has got me through some tough bouts of pain and anxiety.  My usage had been about 4 days a week.  Normally I would use about 2 10mg tabs in a day, but sometimes up to 4.  I started making an effort to back off because I was worried about physical addiction (the mental addiction already exists because I get worried if I get close to being out of them).  I had been off of them for a week (did not notice any w/d).  Then I badly punctured my hand with an oyster knife.  Very deep and painful wound that required a visit to the emergency room.  Lortabs were prescribed and now I'm back using again.  I really do need it for the hand pain.  My question is how many consecutive days of usage will get me in trouble in regards to facing a possible physical addiction - seeing that I already may have been on thin ice to begin with.  I know this might be different from person to person but any ballpark ideas ?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
171940 tn?1203627344
I was on vicodin about 16-18 months with out having to take them on a physical level. Same as you my mental addiction was there, but I managed to only take them at night or weekends ect. Well, I developed a condition (arthritis) and it is bad enough to get my own prescription on a regular basis. I had surgery in oct. and I am still in pain. I can get more meds. and have had them regularly since may of this year. I am now totally physically addicted. I don't know about you, but do you almost feel your state of attachment to these have traded places. When I had no physical symptoms of addiction I loved them, and now because I have to have them, I hate them. Well, now that I wrote that It makes total sense. As far as how many days in a row would cause physical addiction, I can't say, I just know that once that part kicks in, most people I know get worse before they get better. Please be careful. You sound like you are an aware of your body type person. I hope for you that your head can get you past this recent injury and get you off for good. Try to not take it unless you HAVE HAVE HAVE to. Easy for me to say, I know it is not easy, and am having one hell of a time with this. Good luck, and let me know if any of this helped. Cakegirl
Helpful - 0
Hello

I am very concerned because you sound just like how I got hooked.  I was concerned about physical addiction when they perscribed hydro-codone for migraine pain but kept taking them because they helped and I loved how I felt when I took them.  Then I ran out and had not w/d but was really scarred.  Even with that when I had a chance for more I got more.  That is what is concerning to me for you frommoon.  Though your hand is painful you were concerned but you got more anyway which is exactly what led me to the road of addiction for the last nearly 2 years I have been on them non stop.  Stop taking them now even for the painful hand and never go back.  The addiction is worse then the pain by far.  -- Just some advice from a self life screwing chap who cares.
Helpful - 0
I thank you both for your comments.  Cakegirl, the thing that you said about the transition from "loving  them" to "hating them" struck me very seriously.  I do believe that is FAIR WARNING.  Meaning that you are telling me don't get to the point of where you have to "hate them". And Gsmith4499, it sounds like we traveled the same road.  I still want to know about continuous usage relative to physical addiction and what is recommended.  Afterall, these drugs do serve a valuable purpose.
This drug has helped me.  There was a 2 week span, had I not been on Hydrocodone, I would have flipped out.  And had I flipped out, I might have alienated my wife away.  I don't want that.  So - I give my respect and thanks for this medicine. At the same time, I can see that I rely on it far too much and for far too many things.  I just don't know right now. I feel that I really need the pills for the better at times, but I worry about the long run.  thanks.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.