Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

SOME MORE HELP WITH MY HYDROCODONE PROBLEM PLEASE

THANK YOU ALL !!  I have gotten some very real answers, suggestions, and fair warnings on this website. Glad I found you all.
Now one other question please:  I have made the decision to stop using Hydrocodone.  If my daily hydro intake is about 30 - 40 mg, (which I know is not a ton compared to what might be used in later stages) should I just go cold turkey or taper first.  I don't think I am in a physical addiction yet, although I did notice some sweating and shakiness when I backed off before (I think that is just my anxiety state as normal when not on meds though, I don't think its w/d, maybe/maybe not - I had sweats/shakiness long before I ever met a hydrocodone pill).
What do you all think about just shutting down completely or tapering?  Thanks again.
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hey, whats going on. Just to introduce myself Im 26 and I have the same problem, I use hydro to cope with anxiety and depression and I hate that I do. I stop over and over again same old loop. Just that nothing else worked for the anxiety and no im stuck in this situation.

anyways write if you like
Helpful - 0
believe me i have been there. the problem is the hydrocoden causes deppressing. again not a dr just what i have gone through and what the docs have told me.

there are good meds out there that can help with that. see a dr. they can help you.

Good luck to you!

Ash
Helpful - 0
Here it is - over 36 hours without hydrocodone.  I don
Helpful - 0
Just a friendly reminder to not post any personally identifying information in the forums (including email addresses).  

Thank you.
Med Help
Helpful - 0
I guess that maybe you are thinking that I am completely addicted already.  I hope that is not the case.  I have been without it overnight and now through about 3 hours of being awake.  I am scared and nervous but have a good appetite and don't feel too bad otherwise.  I will keep you posted how these next few days are.  I am determined to stop using while I am not too far gone.  thanks.
Helpful - 0
Dear Frommoon,

I have a lot of experience with vicodin.  It's never a good thing to be addicted to any opiate and I've been addicted to just about all of them, including heroin and currently methadone.  I would not recommend a methadone program for you for just vicodin because my experience with vicodin is that it is about the easiest of all the opiates to kick.  The first two days will be a lot of anxiety, diarrhea, yawning, teary eyes, and a headache and you will want to use badly the first two days.  The 3rd day you will start to notice the withdrawals subsiding and "normality" will start to return.  By the fifth day you will have it beat and I just know that you can do it.  Stay strong and just think about how good it will feel to know inside that you no longer "need" vicodin to function.  You will finally be free.  Just keep that in your head and you will do this.  You are from a severe addict and my advice would be to kick this now before you end up playing with the oxycontin and then it is all down hill from there...believe me.  Good luck and I will be hoping and praying for you.
Helpful - 0
Hey ash, thanks.  You have a good plan that would work for some folks - I'm sure.  But, while I did initially find Hydrocodone as a pain med, I really started using it as a depression med (self prescribed ofcourse).  My pain is managable now without the hydro, but my depression was far and above.  So I am not fighting pain now, I am fighting depression.  So the cross over to Motrin won't help me, but it might help others (I am sure some will read this thread and explore it).  Thanks.
Helpful - 0
TO JSMILE23 - Not Corny at all, you stated exactly what I was looking for, thank you.  Seems like no nonsence advice to me.
So here I am the next day - up and awake now and ready to stop using the hydrocodone.  I am coming off a particular heavy day of use for me (80 mg), and a fairly heavy couple weeks of usage.
In general I have been using for about 6 months, but these last couple of weeks - I actually felt like an addict.  So far so good this morning, I am a little scared, but don't really feel lousy.  I drank alcohol last night and feel a bit fuzzy from that but nothing crazy.  I won't be drinking for the next few days either, maybe some beer for the football games on Sunday.
JSMILE23 - Can I check back with you later and let you know how this next 24 hours works out?  You seem like you have some experience in quitting this drug.  I am still trying to see if I have escaped chemical dependancy.  And if so - I'm going to dump the pills and run for the hills. thanks
Helpful - 0
thank you for your email.  I can just keep posting here as well.
I think I want to stay in touch over the next week as the feedback from the forum has really helped.  Had I not stumbled upon this forum, it may have been months (and deeper in) before I decided to stop.  The stories and posts in this forum are actually what helped me decide to quit NOW.  I am half way through my first day off of them and am doing OK.  Just nervous.
I told my wife what I was doing.  She did not know that it was a problem, and thought I had a grip on it.  I gave her all my pills and told her to not let me have them unless I get real sick over the next couple days.  If I am feeling a little bad - I am just going to gut it out.  If I start freaking and getting miserable - I think I will try to taper.  I told here that this was the plan.  thanks.
Helpful - 0
I was on vicoden for over 6 years and i figured out a way off by myself... Not a dr. just advice. when you take the vicoden don't take as it says on the bottle... if it says take 2 take one and then take motrin to replace the other pill. once you do that for about three days you can start to replace the vicoden with the motrin only. it has a anti inflamatory in it that will help with arthritis plus pain reliever. if the pain is bad get into a hot bath. that will take away the pain. then only take 1 in the morning and 1 at night. then go from there. beleive me. the heat works, and you will get the runs take emodium ad (spelling). you will get off of it...

The problem is a lot of people like me tend to get phsyco samadic and tend to think there is pain but there is not. your brain is telling you there is pain but there is not. of course you will have pain from arthritis but not as bad as you think, but there is meds out there that are not norcotic for arthritis that will help.

I have lower lumbar disc deases on top of RA ( Rheumatoid Arthritis). 2 discs that are pressed agenst my spinal cord a 6th disc when you are only supossed to have 5 in your lower back. i have had 3 surgerys and syatica. If i can get off the meds then so can you.

trust me when i say you can do it.. I beleive that anyone can do it as long as they put thier mind to it. If you ever need any help let me know.

best wishes,
ash
Helpful - 0
hello. i am in the same boat you are in. except i used hydros to get high, now i take them to funcation. i am gonna try my best to be strong enough to tough it out and just quit. i think if i can make it thru the first week i will be okay. i am tired of pills controlling my life. i am tired of having to take pills to play with my kids.........that sucks!!! i will let you know how i am doing...you do the same..you will be in my thoughts and prayers
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.