Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
175688 tn?1297556647

NSAIDS <---what is it?

I have seen postings of this NSAIDS for some time now. I feel dumb asking, but can someone tell me what exactly it is??

Thanks again.
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yes it is very dangerous. I too had an emergency surgery for a perforated ulcer due to the use of  pills that contains NSAID. I almost died. Now i have a huge scar on my stomach to remind me. I was advised by my doctor no advil, aleve, motrin etc they all contain NSAID. I can only use tylenol now. Be careful of these drugs. I been using them for years to controll my mentral pain. Been to numerous doctors before my event because i would constantly suffer with chest pains. was told i had an ulcer but never what was causing it until that day.
Helpful - 0
Recent medical studies presented at European Society of Cardiology - NSAIDS could have massive public health implications.

Risk of stroke in healthy population.
Go to "NSAID USE ASSOCIATED WITH FUTURE STROKE IN HEALTHY POPULATION-----------------September 8, 2010"

The evidence is in.  Wonder how my dentist and physician will adjust to this realty of suggesting lethal pain medication thought of as benign.
Helpful - 0
557111 tn?1219712047
zanderzooman,

this is a very old thread...go to the top of the page and click on post a question and start a new thread...you will get help very soon

britt
Helpful - 0
I have been taking 6 Aleves at a time, sometimes 4 to 5 times a day for migrains due to chronic high blood pressure and stress. I used to just take one or 2, but it wasn't helping, so gradually I increased the amount I take, until now I take up to 36 Aleves a day. I've been going on this way for about 6 months now. I often get terrible stomach cramps and I'm constantly going to the bathroom to move my bowels, which are soft. I do check to make sure that there's no blood in them, and so far, so good. Are these severe stomach cramps a sign that I've messed up my stomach lining?

~A Lil Worried~
Helpful - 0
175363 tn?1200946321
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs (pronounced en-said) are the most prescribed medications for treating conditions such as arthritis. Most people are familiar with over-the-counter, nonprescription NSAIDs such as aspirin and ibuprofen.

NSAIDs are more than just pain relievers. They also help reduce inflammation and lower fevers. They prevent blood from clotting, which is good in some cases but not so beneficial in others. For example, because they reduce clotting action, some NSAIDS, especially aspirin, may have a protective effect against heart disease. However, you may bruise more easily. NSAIDs can increase the risk of developing nausea, an upset stomach or an ulcer. They also may interfere with kidney function.

How they work...

NSAIDs work by preventing an enzyme (a protein that triggers changes in the body) from doing its job. The enzyme is called cyclooxygenase, or COX, and it has two forms. COX-1 protects the stomach lining from harsh acids and digestive chemicals; it also helps maintain kidney function. COX-2 is produced when joints are injured or inflamed.

Traditional NSAIDs block the actions of both COX-1 and COX-2, which is why they can cause stomach upset and bleeding as well as ease pain and inflammation.
Helpful - 0
NASAIDS stands for

Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs....

Motrin, Advil, Aspirin, anything that helps w/pain that has an aspirn or an aspirn equivalent base.

Tylenol is not a NASAID....

Over periods of time... unless you have a cast iron gut.  Nasaids will destroy the lining of your stomach.   They are non-narcotic, no addiction is involved and for the most part they do help with aches and pains.

Hope this helps

Gip
Helpful - 0
172023 tn?1334672284
Like Motrin, Advil, Nuprin etc.
Helpful - 0
Do a Google search - they are anti-inflamatories without steroids, non-narcotic and not addictive.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.