Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
147172 tn?1226758178

Best Way to Taper at my Dosage

Hi.  So I went 2 days withtout any medications besides 800 mg of ibuprofen and I felt like hell and was unable to take care of my daughter and since everyone in my family (who have no idea what I'm dealing with ) is so exhausted from the holidays, I truly had no help including from my husband who works a lot.
Anyway, I just got a new script for 120 pills and "found" an old script for 30 7.5 hydros.
I want to taper and believe I can do it.  In fact, I KNOW I can do it.  I'm mentally prepared to and am 100% determined.  
My question is at about 10 - 12 7.5 hydros a day for about 7 or 8 months give or take, how should I go about tapering where I would minimalize the withdrawal.  I know I won't be able to totally avoid it.  I just want to decrease it enough so that I can be a somewhat functioning human being.
Thanks.
Oh, I also got a script from my dr for 60 .5 mg of xanax, which is nothing for me so I would have to double or even triple that dose for it to even have any effect at all but I figure I could save those for the night hours when I truly can't sleep.
Good luck to all who continue to struggle with this.

6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
(Dont Taper )Im quiting cold turkey at first I was very scared but the doc prescribed trazadone to help me fall asleep(Really works) and xanacs for the whole anxiety of the situation. NOW this is not easy by any means but im on my 4th day and im feeling a lot better already. I took 8-12 norcos(10/325)  daily for 7 months. During the day you have to tough it out but believe me its possible. Quiting this way is much faster and in my eyes easier then drawing it out for months. Just tell your doc that your done and that you want xanacs (for anxiety) and trazadone for sleep. I wish the best for you all , Good luck  my email is ***@**** if you need further help.  
Helpful - 0
Hey there -
There are many posted tapers - but what worked for me was cutting the dosage by one pill every other day and then staying there until I felt I could cut one more.

Now with that said - this site is amazing.  How a pill affects/effects one person - is sometimes SO drastcially different that how it works on another.  Like, the one of the hardest times during my taper was bedtime.  And in talking with another memeber of the forum - they would never take a hydro near bed or they'd be up all night.  Strange how it works.

For me - I'd try looking at what you have - set that as the LAST amount that you will EVER get - and see how you can cut your dosage.  If that means cutting pills in 1/2 - factor that in.  

For me - what i noticed was that going from 6 to 4 wasn't that hard.  4 to 2 still wasn't too bad - I did experience w/ds - but the worst was 10mg to 5mg and then 5mg to 0.  That was when I noticed that something wasn't right and came to this site - and most likely saved myself from going into early labor.  (thanks to your help!!!)

Keep us posted! Me
Helpful - 0
Hey GB:
I have a  taper posted. Just follow that, but add the times you take it and GO.
Helpful - 0
You just gave a description of my day.  

Honestly is interesting how we play with this demon.  And the beat goes on.

God Bless and Good Luck w/your taper.

Gip
Helpful - 0
great advice mema...going from 100 to 10 was no picnic but I am still trying to get to zero. It will take me another week. Righjt now Im at 2.5 or a bit higher. Going from 10 to 5 was hell. The every other day taper is what I used at first. Seemed illogical but made it easiere at higher doses. 2 weeks 60 one day 40 next then one week 40 then 40 one day 20 next then 20 one week....its the lower doses and the mind fighting to let go thats hard. The more active I am the better off. Dont think about it. This board is the best
Helpful - 0
147172 tn?1226758178
It's such an evil mind game.  When I know I have a full prescription, I can go for 8-10 hours without taking a pill or feeling any withdrawal, of course I don't go that long but I could if I had to.
It's when I donm't have any at all that I feel the withdrawal kicking in to high gear early.
I know that it effects everyone differently.  I can't say that taking them before bed keeps me from sleeping but I do find that I want to keep feeling that high so I don't allow myself to go to sleep and then when I finally do and wake up in the morning I have to take 2 to feel like a human being and I chase that first morning high all day.
Thanks for all the support.  I am beginning the taper tomorrow morning.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.