Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

For Nefesh

Sorry, I didn't see your earlier post.  Here's a complete account of my withdrawal.

On Christmas Day, I woke up for the first time in 4 months with NO pain (I was prescribed vicoprofen 7.5/200 3 pills 4 times a day for a laundry list of back problems).  Wednesday after Christmas tried to go C/T...it was horrible, I took more pills.  Posted on here, Matine helped put together a taper.  Started the taper and it was just as bad as C/T so I called my doc for help.  They said stay on the pills at least til we see you (would have been Jan 17).  I didn't want to stay on the pills when I didn't really need them.  I was fortunate because unlike some of the people on the board, I never craved the drug - never took more than was prescribed - I was just on it for 4 months straight - no break more than 6 hours.  Friday 12/29 I took my last dose of vicoprofen.  8 hours later I was freezing yet covered in sweat.  Crying and I didn't know why.  I couldn't lay down but I couldn't stand up.  About 5 hours later, after getting super sick (runs and vomiting) I begged my mom (who was here from florida for the holiday) to take me to the ER.  I was treated with complete respect.  I was completely honest with the doctor.  He told me I didn't have to tell him how I came upon the script (legit or otherwise) or who prescribed it, but since I felt like I really needed to be honest, I told him the prescribing docs name and the pharmacy which I filled my scripts.  They gave me a shot of ativan to calm me down then a drug called clonipine to help with the w/d symptoms.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
176889 tn?1234352582
thank you thank you thank you!  Sorry I missed what you wrote for a coupla days... I'm going to write you a new entry up top in case you miss this... do folks keep checking down here or keep starting new threads?
Helpful - 0
YOU GO GIRL....

Gip
Helpful - 0
Clonidine is a blood pressure lowering drug, it also happens to bind to the same neuro receptors that opiates do.  This allows your body to w/d with less symptoms (because of the lowering of the blood pressure) and fools your brain into thinking it is still getting the opiate....granted you don't have the euphoria.  That was on Saturday 12/30.  Sunday I made myself get up, clean the house and even go to dinner with friends for new years ever...it was hard, but I did it.  Monday - New Years Day I was worthless, I could not do anything.  I felt horrible.  But if you go back and look at my posts after that, I really did start feeling better.  Sleep was an issue.  but it is getting better.  I slept 6.5 hours last night, I think I would have slept longer but the darn alarm (my 7 year old son) went off.

In 12 hours I will have been off vicoprofen for 7 days.  I feel better every day.  I still don't know if I'm done withdrawing, but I'd say I'm pretty much in the clear....though no one has really told me that for sure.  I have no more aches, still a little bowel trouble, and a VERY VERY clear head.  I forgot what it was like to do my job uninhibited...but I like it.  I am more present for my husband and my son.  I drive without worry of hurting myself or someone else....it is a good feeling.

Only you know what is going to work for you.  But if you need assistance please seek help - SOMEWHERE.  Your doc, an urgent care center (which is often like a doc's office) or the ER.  

I'll be around all day, let me know if I can help.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.