Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Avoid Withdrawel Symtoms If your on a pain contract!

PDK
Ive noticed a lot of people on here saying how they hate withdrawel(who would like it!) But, I also see a lot of those people saying they get an RX everymonth. If you dont want bad withdrawel start tapering your dose if you really want to stop. Depending on how much you take a day start cutting it down by one pill at a time. Dont cut another pill untill you are used to taking one less. Just keep cutting one pill at a time, only go to the next cut when you are feeling comfortable with the last cut. For example:

If you take 6 pills a day:
for the fist 2 or so weeks go down to 5 a day.
After a few more weeks go to 4
and so on, and so on

Do this untill you are comfortable takeing 1 pill at a time (or 3 a day)

Now take a half of a pill for about 4 or 5 days, if you do this right you will only experiance withdrawels for that day untill you go to bed(no RL&AS) I know you guys probably get told this by dr.s all the time but it really does work. Take it from someone that has gone through it many times. I keep getting addicted to pain killer because im always takeing it for a medical reason. This time im on them because I was in a very horrible car accident, almost died, didnt remember my Wife and kids when I woke up, and I was in a coma for about 3 weeks.

If you think you will have hard time only taking the tapering doses then hopefully you have someone you trust and wont take your pills on you. For me I put my pills in a week long pill holder, tell my wife to hide them where I wont find them, and have her give me the pills (one container) I can have per day.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
He has a point. I detoxed last year while driving to retreave a kid from school in up-state new york. I had the other driver doll out the pills, and I only took one when in real pain. The trip took 3 days round trip and by the time I arrived home I was down to 5mg at night; course there I stayed for a month taking 5 at night, I mean I really looked forward to that 5mg at night, even took them to Madrid and Rome and in Rome I ran out and grew frightened and had someone back in the states fed-x me 20 pills which never arrived or did but by than I had left and when I stepped off the plane at Chicago was GREAT>So great that the person who picked me up had brought a few 5's and I looked at them and laughed. Then I swallowed them. I think I heard a distant laugh and it wasn't me but the pills laughing last.
Helpful - 0
You make it all sound so easy.... LOL

I just detoxed from Hydros and went Cold Turkey... I don't know if I would have been able to do a taper...but after the last two weeks of sheer hell... maybe that would have been a better idea.   I was up to taking 6 - 8 hydros a day.   C/T was brutal but I won't belabor it any more it's over.   Thanks to some mighty fine folks here they truly helped me over the worse of it.

I learned no matter how small a dose... one does need to taper off Benzos....C/T from that was absolutely horrible.  I would never have been able to do that.   But I want out of these as well... The Dr. allotted me per day for the first two weeks far more than I thought I'd need to take.. so far so good.

I was Rx'd this stuff for severe arthritis and a pinched nerve, and have been on them for 5 years, and never felt messed up by them until the last six months or so.   I imagine they catch up with all of us after a while.

Remember that song by Janis Joplin... One pill will make you larger and one pill will make you small...and the one your mother gives you won't do anything thing at all...Ahhh that's what runing through my mind at the moment.  

You sound as though you are very structured ... which is a good thing... I really don't know if going through w/d can be entirely without symptoms... but you sound like you have a good method going.   A lot of folks here ask for tapering recommendations... please hang around for a while so you can help.

Take Care
Gip
Helpful - 0
PDK
Well I didnt mean to say no symptoms. You still feel kinda crappy when you go down one pill at a time but it is no where even close to what it would be cold turky. Thats why I suggest staying on the dose cut by one pill for a couple weeks. If you try to taper too fast you will feel like ****!

A couple weeks before my accident I got over withdrawels from Methadone, cold turkey, let me tell you that was so hard. I felt like **** for a whole month. After that I decided to taper if I was ever on pain meds again! Then a week later I get in another car accident and, poof, on em again!

Good luck to everyone, once you find something to distract yourself, a hobby or something, life will be much better. And break all ties with anyone that does them, this is absolutly crutial, I dont care if its your mother you have to get away!
Helpful - 0
LOL... I know you feel like ****... I did a C/T w/d two days before Xmas.. Ask me how my holiday was...

Thankfully I'm starting to feel better.   Still a bit anxious but that too is subsiding.  I'm feeling again.   I think that was my whole point to start with... I was feeling nothing.

If you could only see the spiral downward as you are in the peak of this stuff, I'm wondering how many of us would be here to start with.

I have to wean off the Xanax..not by choice though.. I had no idea you could not just STOP these little S**tty things ... but that's going better than planned for me.   Dr.s plan was 4 .50's/day however I could manage... I've done 2 .50's and seem to be OK... not wonderful.. but maintaining w/o that severe anxious feeling.  

Thanks for your in put...folks around here are always asking for weaning schedules...your input is invaluable

Gip

Helpful - 0
176889 tn?1234352582
it was Gracie Slick with Jefferson Airplane on the song "White Rabbit" (one pill makes you larger...) - keep up the good work, Gip, you keepin' a lot of people hanging in there - always be blessed...                     nefesh
Helpful - 0
Yeaaaaaaaaa I knew it was white rabbit... I thought it was Janis though....

It's been playing through my head all day.

Know what... I used to make the same mistake 20 years ago.. LOL never got that straight...Jefferson Airplane

Talk soon
Gip
Helpful - 0
I love this idea! I really do. But for me? I hate to wait that long to get off them. But either way, like Gip said a very valuabe post!

Thank yoU!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.