Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

When you are taking for PAIN

Hello All -

SO - as many of you know - I tapered down from 5-6 a day to the prescribed 4 a day - and that worked really well for me.  Then my OB scared me - and I almost went CT - and did get down to 0 for 30 hours before I knew something was wrong.

Well - I maintained my dosage at 10mg for over 3 weeks - and then re-injured myself.  I was REALLY concerned that it was going to start that NASTY cycle of wanting/needing more for pain relief.

I'm happy to say - I have not overdone it.  I don't know if there has been a moment of clarity or not - but honestly - I am taking for PAIN. (no real need to lie in this forum!)
Is it easy?  Not too bad.
DO I want MORE?  Sometimes.  But the only way I can try and relate it is like when you hear people dieting - they say to ask yourself - why am I eating this?  Is it b/c I'm hungry?  If not, put the food down.
Well, the same goes with the pain med.  Am I in pain?  Yes - take 1/2 tab.  No - walk away - do something else - you don't physically need it.  AND STICK TO A TIME SCHEDULE!  If you just took 2 hours ago - there is little chance that i really need it.
I think this forum helped me see the difference and helped me become stronger.  Am I in legit pain?  Yes - but I can clearly see the difference b/w taking my meds for pain - and taking just to take to be numb.  I know I got that strength from ALL of you - All of the stories and struggles.  
I also know I will never be pain free.  That is a given.  But I will NEVER abuse my meds - just don't want to! My goal - not to be taking EVERY day!  Thanks for the support!  Luv, Me
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Also - please - I don't want to seem like a hypocrite on this site - as I know many of you are just wanting to be completely off of them.  And doing really well at it!  I don't want to seem as if I'm rubbing your noses in the fact that I'm still on some meds!  PLEASE!  I do feel your pain when you are w/ding.  And that is what makes me feel like a fake - that I'm not doing the same with you right now.  Reading your posts is truly making me stronger and more committed to not abusing or going down a path I don't want!
I medically cannot go off of them completely.  Just 14 more days until that can change!

It is just the fact that we will experience some kind of pain.  How we manage it - in conjunction with our docs - is the key.  I DO NOT want to be popping 10-20mg every day.  I don't.  I want to be in control.

I know it is a fine line - but I think that is where you have to be in synch with your doc - and thank goodness I will not be around my doc who prescribes them 120 at a time.  That will help -
Sorry for the rambling - but I didn't want to upset anyone who is doing really well detoxing!  I know it isn't easy - but even in your struggles - you are helping someone else!  I know - because you all are helping me so much!  Thank you!
Helpful - 0
HUn!, That was just an awsome post!! I am glad to hear you are doing so well! COngrats to you sweety! But I hate to hear you ar ein pain. I hope that eases for you soon! I am assuming your going to be having some kind of surgery or something? Because you said in 14 days that will all change?

Either way, I am glad to hear you are in control. Isn't it amazing how this forum has helped us so fast?? The support is phenominal and so real and true honesty, I just don't know why it took me so long to find this place!!!

Blessings!
Helpful - 0
Hey girl -
Thanks for your post.  I was TRULY afraid to post this - as I didn't want it to come off the wrong way.

No - I'm the preggo chick - who thought it would be good to detox while pregnant.  NOPE!  Anyway - I have 14 days until my c-section - which of course will involve meds - but unlike last time - where I LOST control of taking meds - I TRULY feel like I have the power.

I would have NEVER felt that way before reading and sharing with everyone.

SO - as much as I know it is going to suck - I can't wait to get off the meds!!!  

Thanks for the response - and I'll be thinking of you and the doc's appt Thurs.!

me
Helpful - 0
Ohh ok..that is you. Well I hope all turns out well with Baby and delivery, everything.

Thank you for your thoughts and also while I am at Dr Thursday. I am still sooo scared! I hope he does not send me home to do C/T.

Thanks for your post hun!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.