Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

need help

I am a 36 year old male who is very much addicted to pain pills. when I was 18 years old I had a major back surgury and thats where it all started for me. This addiction cost me a wife and many friends. On Feb of 2005 I went to treatment and got clean for the first time in 10 years. I went 13 months without using a single pill. In the period of time I met a woman who is now my girlfriend of 13 months. I have a six year old daughter who means the world to me. 10 months ago i started using pills again. Its time to stop and start over again. Again I am about to loose everything. My family and my girlfriend don't know that I am using again. I want to stop but if I detox they will know I am using and I can't have that happen. I know there's no quick fix but every time I try to use ultram or slowly wheen myself off it never works and I take a lot of pills. I am taking 25 to 30 10mg loratabs a day. Can anyone please give me an idea of how I can get off these without feeling like I am going to die for 7 days? P.S. I went to a doctor today and told him about my pain pill addiction and asked him for help and he wouldn't do a thing for me.
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
175363 tn?1200946321
Man, I agree w/ Nefresh. I am in a relationship, too. The best in my life! Nothing (except hit me, abuse my children, or cheat) would tarnish my love for him. If she truly loved you, she would support you, no matter what! Is there maybe something that happened between the two of you while you were using before? I too do not mean to be harsh, but darling, thats not the way love works.
I have friends I've met on here that I would take a bullet for, and never even looked into their eyes.
Am I just different?
Lisa
Helpful - 0
I too am struggling with this addiction to pain pills.  I can't imagine living with anyone with this addiction.  I have isolated myself comepletely and i rarely even go to work.  You are still living life and participate in a relationship.  STOP NOW before you may have to start from the place I am in.  With no support at all or anyone to get up and live for  the pills will take over even worse.  I pray for your success.  You can do it!!!
Helpful - 0
talltim, Yes rsd_al is right if you don't want to tell her tel her you have the flu. I did that for four days to my husband until the guilt eat me up so bad I broke down to tell him everything. Good luck. If you need any help please write. Heather
Helpful - 0
176889 tn?1234352582
whoa! that's a doozy... but there's gotta be a way to do it! you obviously love your girlfriend and are willing to do anything to keep her... please forgive me for wondering, does she love you as much?  if she fessed up she'd been on pills and desperately wanted to stop would do anything to stop because she loves you so much, would you give her the boot?  sorry I don't mean to be harsh, it would just be SO much easier if you had her on your side... using alternate drug therapies to get off doesn't work for you... C/T would be risky, the flu cover may/may not work... tapering sounds very tough for you - then again, if you really really want out and you really really don't want her to know - then it sounds like tapering is your best bet... whaddya think??   Good Luck! Godspeed!  Blessings!
Nefesh
Helpful - 0
I guess you can always claim you caught the flu since it is just like it =)

You have the same attitude as me, NEVER again!
Helpful - 0
What a jerk! A doc should at least give you something to help you sleep geesh! I feel ya, but it is up to you when/how your gonna do it. Just know that there is a lot of support here.
Helpful - 0
she's my girlfriend, not my wife. She has already told me if I use she's out the door. That's why I need to do this now and for ever!
Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
It's good that you want to get help. You know what will happen if you don't. Knowing those things puts you one step ahead, and the odds are in your favor of beating your addiction again.

I'm not sure how to do it without your wife knowing. Are you sure she doesn't suspect you're using?? I agree with the previous post about a slow taper. You can take that clear down to shaving the pill at the end.

That Dr. you saw is in the wrong field. He should have, at least, set you up with another Dr. to help you. I would be lost without my Drs. help.

Please keep posting so we know how you're doing.

Take Care....LS
Helpful - 0
That doc realy pissed me off. It took me 3 days to build the courage to go and he just shot me down. I am going to do it, I just need to get honest. I realy want to tell my mom but 3 months ago my step dad died of cancer and I don't know if my mom can handle the fact that I am using pills again!
Helpful - 0
There is a post on here..not sure where but I will look...that gives a tapering schedule that takes like a month!  But, it would probably mean that you could do it without major symptoms.  

Good luck....I hope all goes well...seems the darn back is where it starts for so many!!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.