Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

First Timer

I was looking on the internet to find help, and I found this site. There seems to be a lot of good help here. Friday will be my first clean day in almost 8 years. I am not looking forward to it at all. The question I have for you all is, Should I tell my wife that I am hooked on hydro's and need help? She has no clue!!! She is the best thing that has ever happend to me, and I can not lose her. I told her 1 time about a year ago and she went crazy, So I finally told her I was just joking. I really want to stop because of my 2 kids, ages 5 and 7. I have been on pills there whole life. The other question for you all is, Am I a bad Father? I feel like I have let not only myself down, but also my wife and kids. Thanks for reading this, Keith
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A bad dad won't admit a problem.  I admire you for your caoncern for your family.  That is great.  Look at your wife and kids and then look at the pills and that will tell your quite a bit about yourself.  I would start a tapering off program, because cold turkey w/d are the pits, man!!

The family needs you more than you need the pills.  Go for it and let us know how you are progressing!  We are pulling for you, and will keep you and the family in our prayers!
God bless!
Helpful - 0
Good morning to everyone.  I have been lurking around this site for about a week now and have just figured out how to post a comment.  I am on day 10 of a vic c/t.  The first week was really rough but I know what helped me was first constant prayer and second getting rid of all my pills.  I too have a LEGITIMATE disease that allows me to get unlimited vics.  At the time that I decided to stop I had a bottle of over 200 5mg with 5 refills and a RX for 120 7.5 with 5 refills.  I was up to taking about 10 7.5 a day.  I dont think I could have done it unless I got rid of the pills and called and closed out refills.  I am basically over the physical symptoms but I STILL WANT THE PILLS; especially at night.  That was my ritual, do all my daily duties, suffer through the pain all day..take a shower and then about 7pm..my reward for being so brave all day... my pills.  Have to find a way to replace that ritual..its been my way of life for over 6 months.  Any ideas.
Helpful - 0
I thank you for reading my post and beeing understandin. I think I am strong enough to do this. I flushed all the pills I had. (cry) If I go back to them I think I will tell my wife. But If I can get off them wiyhout my wife knowing I think that would be best, unless I r/l. This is day one for me, and I am going to work for the first time clean in years. I am glad I got you all here to talk to, THANKS!
Helpful - 0
175363 tn?1200946321
Being an addict does NOT make you a bad Father!

I truly believe you should come clean to your wife and reach to her for help. If she loves you, she will support your decision, and respect the fact that you have recognized you have a problem. I'm sure you understand that addiction in itself IS LONELY. You hide it, you may lie about it, you may have done things you yourself are NOT SO proud of.
One thing you SHOULD be proud of, you see you have a problem and you took that first step. Your here!

Your children are still young, you have that on your side, Children are very resilient. If they don't know, don't tell them. Just USE your love for them as your motivation.

I'm here for you if you need help...
Lisa
Helpful - 0
I have been looking for someone who has been/doing the detox.  I found this site last night after loosing my job of only a year.  I found out last June that I had not only slipped a disc but there is narrowing of the spine.  Probably caused from the constant use of a boot to help my right ankle heal from many (14) surgeries in the past 7 years.  The ortho started me on methadone back in 2000.  I ran out one weekend and decided to quite...bad bad bad 3 months.  I also lost my job at that time.  These pain pills are bad.  I think that I will go c/t again and then I remember what happened the last time and I shutter.  Right now I am stepping back and looking hard at my life pre-drug and now.  I wish that I was back to pre-drug life.  You are all in my prays as I know what you are going thru.  God bless and keep posting.  Your updated progress will help me and others.
Helpful - 0
I'm new here too, Keith.  I don't think you are a bad father.  I'm sure your wife would have noticed, and mentioned something to you, if you were! ;)

I can imagine that it would be a hard decision whether or not to share this with your spouse, based on her past reaction.

I do know that sometimes it is hard for people who have not struggled with addiction to understand.  Years ago, I was in your wife's place, with my first husband.  Someone who has no idea of what the sufferer is going through (ie, me in the past), might think the sufferer is just weak willed (ie, just the way I felt about my poor ex).  Boy, do I know better now!  

I don't really have answers for you, but I wanted to tell you that I care, and wish you all the best in your detox.  I think you are strong and brave for taking steps to deal with this.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.