Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

hydrocodone-how long till life returns after w/d

i am quitting hydrocodone-soma and oxycotins, i have been on for 8 1/2 years-high intake--30-40 hydros a day etc...
what i would like to know is after the day i quit--i know it will be tough for 10-14 days then another 14 days  where cravings come and go-not constant-i hope
but::::::::::: i can remeber before being put on these by my dr. and then abusing them--:::8 1/2 years ago-i remember like when it would rain-i would go out on front porch and smell the rain-it smelled fresh, clean -good-it gave me a peaceful, good feeling, and like:::::: working in yard, planting plants-or garden, and watching day by day as i watered them, took care of the and God shinned his sun on them, as they grew. i enjoyed that-and camping with family-i enjoyed that--i could go on and on, you who have or are addicted can relate to what i am saying, but to those of you who have overcome the addiction,:
how long after i quit do i start to get the desire to do things back again, how long till i want to smell the fresh rain, i long till i LOVE again???
please answer sincerely
thank you steve
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for the reply, i got goose bumps.  That is so sweet.  
Helpful - 0
I also wanted to add.  For me the most important things that have helped me quit.  Has been admitting I am addicted..support from people that care about me (my husband, a very dear friend, and my mother-whom is addicted herself) and wanting to be there for my kids.
I was very fortunate to have my husband home to help me and to take care of the kids while I was detoxing.  I really don't think I could have done it alone.  He put up with alot and took care of everything while I pretty much hid out in my room.
But now its all paying off for him, Im already changing for the better.  Sex drive is coming back (it wasn't totally gone but way less), I have more energy to help out again, I have more feelings and emotions, Im laughing, Im more loving to him.
Im excited to be back to myself again.  Im being a little impatient though.
Helpful - 0
No,you are not alone.LOL,I think everyone here has somewhat of the same story.
You should be really proud of youself you are really doing great...
keep posting and let us know how you are doing,OXY
Helpful - 0
This is my 2nd time quitting.  Both times I quit was because I genuinley wanted to and thats the only thing that was going to work.  The 1st time I was on about 25mg of Hydro a day for about 3-5 months and just quit cold turkey.. Felt like **** for about 3 days.. day 1 and 2 worse (up all night tossing and turning , diareah,cold sweats, irrability, so much anxiety you don't know what to do with yourself) to me the anxiety was the worse to overcome).
This time I have been on them for about 3 years and one of the things that kept me from quitting was the thought of not wanting to have to with drawl and be sick...
I have 5 children and feel like I have robbed them of having their fun outgoing energetic mother....because the last 3 years they have had an irratible, moody, sometimes fun mom.
I remember (before I used Hydro) getting up in the morning and having energy and being in a good mood and maybe turning up the radio and dancing and the kids.  I excersized so much more and wanted to do things.
I realized I have changed so much.. my hydo intake has ranged from 15mg to 60-70mg a day and I have kept it a secret from my husband.
I finally decided I needed to quit..so I told my Doctor that I don't even think I am taking these for pain anymore..Im just addicted.  And I told my husband...so he could help me.
I started by weaning down from 60 mgs a day to 40 mg a day for 3 days, then 35mg for a few days, then 30 for a couple days , then 25 a couple days, 20 a couple days (then I only had a couple left, so I went to 5 mg a day for 3 days and was done a few days ago.
Today is my 3rd day without any.  The worse I think was when I went from 20 a day to 5 mg a day..I took xanex all day (which I never take, I don't like xanex, it makes me tired and slugish) but it helped so much that day just to be able to sleep off alot of the tossing and turning and anxiety.  Then the next few days I just take about .5 mg of xanex a day...just to keep me from being so anxious.  The anxiety is getting better everyday.
I had hoped to feel all better by now since last time it only took 3 days..but I should know better.  I have been on them alot longer so It will take longer.
Its helpful reading these posts to know Im not alone.  and that there is hope for feeling better soon.  And being the Mom my kids deserve!

Helpful - 0
325131 tn?1227184781
I read some of my personal notes I made during my withdrawal. I started noticing my sense of humor around 2 weeks was returning. I was feeling hopeful and amazed at making it through the worst part. So I think after 30 or maybe even 60 days you should be noticing alot of better quality in your life. the energy you miss probally won't be as intense but more sustained at the same level.
Helpful - 0
This is not the most dangerous narcotic
  but yet one of the
most effective if used for serious pain. I am am taking 30mg on good day for pain. HERNIATED DISCS
I wanted to stop because I like to be free from any and all chemicals.. I tried to do it cold turkey and I went through most of what has been shared here.. If you are not a strong minded person and you can work out a system to quit, try to slowley reduce the dosage. Example if you are on 60mg of Hydrocodone(VICODIN) try to
reduce it by 10mg a week until you are down to 0mg a day then keep busy, eat healthy and excersize daily.. Remember a clean and healthy body does not crave narcotics!
Helpful - 0
These posts helped me today.  Thank you. It is my day one off vics and I took a LOT.  I am nervous and tense, I feel like I can't move.  But your stories and blessing are a gift today.  I will just get through the next hour, then the next.  I WILL NOT DIE FROM THESE FEELINGS>  Don't mean to be dramatic but this is the first time I have ever tried to quit in 8 yeart.  Stay with me please
Helpful - 0
I agree with whenwillitend..u will feel like youre dying but just remember that you wont, just keep telling yourself that.  You may want to seek some professional help for advice but remember to use your own common sense and good judgement; its there and day by day your head will get clearer.  I am on day 10 and still have cravings but no real physical symptoms.  The mental stuff is the hardest; but that too will not kill you.  Reading posts from the site helps alot b/c there are people with alot of knowledge here who can help u understand whats going on in your head right now.  Just take an hour at a time and then a day at a time.  I had to count my days this morning b/c I started to lose count of how many days I had clean...what a blessing.  Stay strong; you can do it.
Helpful - 0
I'm at day 24, and feeling like myself.  I'm worried, but I have legit reasons to be, the free floating anxiety is gone.  Keeping busy helps for me, and getting back to my old interests has been invaluable.  Replace the bad habits with good ones.

Hubby has detoxed from 20 per day a couple of times, but wasn't mentally ready to give them up, and went back on.  He seemed to have more emotional upset detoxing, and I (taking half as much)had more physical pain.  Go figure.  I guess it's different for everyone.

Every day I tell myself that I will NEVER go back.  Reading the experiences here helps that resolve...when people share their pain, I remember mine.

Helpful - 0
after 3mnths Imstill craving and not for the methadone but the pain pills and for some reason it has been bad the last 3 days maybe because my back is killing from this cold front. and I didnt leave the house at all for 9wks and then only very short trips now im stir crasy but energy still low its funny now I will go any where just to get out of house and I was able to go on vaction in tennesee for a week and actualy stayed awake to do stuff! I would normally be nodding off the whole time. you will have all those things back in time my best to you
Helpful - 0
Everyone is different so milage may vary but...

I typically feel better around day 5-6. I typically feel functional and wanting to do things again between days 7-9. I don't recall ever not feeling myself by day 10. Should I have gone this long without pain - I typically start craving around 14 days - these are kind of odd. It's not painfull, but it is strong nevertheless. I tend to get irratible for a couple days - though I believe it's due to being upset with myself.

Now, this is coming from a person who has gone CT multiple times at an average of 10/day -- once only at 15/day (first time). I can't guess what you will experience at what times based on the sheer amount you are taking, but if hydrocodone is the majority of what you take - no longer then 2 weeks to feel better, and you should be able to enjoy sunlight shining on your flowers in less then a month. Small price to pay (imo) for 8+ years of build of time.

Now, I'm not an Oxy expert - never had WDs from those, because I was afraid of them. If you are taking enough of those, you may have a small bit of a longer ride ahead of you. They stay in your system longer, usually taking 4x longer for the WDs to start, compared to that of Vicodin. They also appear to take longer to WD from as well. Again, I do not have personal experience in this, this is just based loosely off memory of other peoples accounts.

I'm not familiar with Soma WDs. I had taken Soma's for awhile, nothing extreme, but 4-6 daily for a few months. When I stopped taking them, I didn't notice any WDs. I have heard bad things about them, so when I went back for more, I asked for a safer type of muscle relaxer.

Sorry for nothing specific - WDs stink, but no one dies from them. I've had to do it more then what I should have, but here I am, back again... They say relapse is part of recovery - I just feel like I'm starting to be the poster child. heh (God, I hope I never have to say "20th times a charm, right?!" ;-)
Helpful - 0
I can't quite answer your question, I haven't took any percocets in 5 days, but I had a perscription of ultrams (tramadol) which made me not really have withdrawls, but there gone now, it was only a couple of them. now I am kind of feeling it, I mean it really feels good not to be high, but the percocets used to give me a shitload of energy, and now I am getting the shakes, the leg restlessness, hard to get to sleep feeling, I am holding on though, and I've really noticed when your very determined that helps. I've been down this road a few times with percocets, (never with a child though, and now I have a 6 month old daughter) so I am more determined then ever. Everytime I quit before was because people doubted that I could, I never did it cause "WANTED TO"  now I do want to, for me and my child. She doesn't need a pillhead mommy. But best 2 luck to you, keep me informed. You Can do it!!!!!!!
'
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.