Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

how well does melatonin work

i had purchased a sleep aid from GNC called melatonin 5mg tabs.
just woundering how well will it work for insomnia?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Melatonin is in your body already, naturally, and after age 35  in women especially, drops off significantlyy which is why many women thru menipause  ( after ge 45-50) can't sleep...so depending on your age you can help yourself sleep better by taking some.  but taking TOO MUCH will make you very groggy the next morning to the point you dont want to get up..  I buy 3mg tabs, and cut them into FOUR with my pill chopper.  or I talke just 1/2 a tab ( 1.5mg)  so anyone takig 5 mg-- wow.. wayyy too much prolly for their body needs, but wont cause damage or anything.

You ONLY take it at night, but for W/D and C/T use  I am wondering if one wants to sleep more maybe you could try it 2 x a day if you are not driving or working at a job?

long term effect of taking melatonin are not know ( no 50 year study for instance) but  I am willing to trade the small risk for the better ability to sleep and be rested.

ALSO try Valerian root (a herb) capsules- 1,590 mg. per capsule a natural supplement  for restful sleep..  I tried taking 2 caps  ( 1-3 recommend dose) and have been having incredible, intricate, interesting dreams like I did 20 years ago.  I like that, and I am feeling rested and waking earlier and more willing to get up earlier too. go figure.   do some online research on this, there is also tea you can make, but I gotta warn yoa the SMELL of the valerion is horid, and tea no better as I recall.. hahaha

Helpful - 0
thanx for the insight
Helpful - 0
I tried mellintonin once.... it will give you a hangover but it did help me with sleeping.

Of course I wasn't in the middle of drug withdrawal.

It's not addicting.... so at least you can try it and test it....who knows.  At this point in the game... sleep is so elusive.

Good luck
Gip
Helpful - 0
It helps me feel sleepier - but it doesn't last very long. Never had any side effects (other then feeling a bit sleepy). :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.