Aa
A
A
A
Close
52704 tn?1387020797

HOW IT WORKS

[From www.recovery.org/aa/bigbook/ww/chapter_5.html]
Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average.

There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

Our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now. If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it -- then you are ready to take certain steps.

At some of these we balked. thought we could find an easier, softer way. But we could not. With all the earnestness at our command, we beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start. Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.

Remember that we deal with [Addiction], cunning, baffling, powerful! Without help it is too much for us. But there is One who has all power that One is God. May you find Him now!

Half measures availed us nothing. We stood at the turning point. we asked His protection and care with complete abandon.

**** followed by The 12 Steps ****
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
52704 tn?1387020797
I was taught, and came to believe, that Addiction is primarily a spiritual problem.  Recovery from Addiction is primarily a spiritual matter.  Recovery requires adopting and living by spiritual principals.  Three of the which seem to be viewed as absolute "musts" by those I know with solid and long term recovery are: Honesty; Open Mindedness; and Willingness.  As the Basic Text of NA says, "with these we are well on are way."

At the end of "How it Works" there is a part that says "no human power could have relieved our [addiction]."  I think that's true - I know that I applied all the human power I knew of to fight my addiction.  It was only when I surrendered that my life quit being about Addiction and started being about Recovery.

Surrender is HARD.  It feels like it is completely the WRONG way to go.  But like most spiritual things, Recovery is "upside down" it's counter-intuitive.  

I have never before surrendered to anything.  I could have been a poster boy for "when the going gets tough, the tough get going."  I ALWAYS won at EVERYTHING, often in the face of unbelievable odds, because I fought longer and harder than anyone else.  I would not quit and I would never give up.  

That does not work with Addiction. It may have helped me in all other areas of my life, but it almost killed me when it came to Addiction.  If you fight with Addiction you lose.  The only way I can win with Addiction is to surrender and live my life (all aspects of my life) according to spiritual principals.

It's way past my bedtime.  Good night.

Helpful - 0
Wow great question. I was wondering the same thing myself.
Helpful - 0
Tell me more about those people truley incapable of telling the truth. Are you saying (addict or not) that  there are some of us that if we are already programed as liars, our addiction would just make the lies worse.

I am a liar.  I hide my truths and your words were meaningful.  Please talk to me more if you can.  Is is about all the lies and if I work on honesty rather than "addiction" can I be helped?

God's Blessing and Peace
Helpful - 0
Well put. Needed to be said.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.