Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
149087 tn?1258453820

OVERDOSED: Wow it could happen to anyone

Wow, you guys are not going to believe this. The sherrifs office and the ambulance were just out here at my apartment building. They carried out a body bag. In it was a 19 year old kid who had overdosed sometime this morning. He had overdosed on a mixture of coke, oxys and booze. ONLY 19 frickin years old. What a damn shame.

I knew this kid, so I know that he got the oxys illegally. We really need to try to figure out a way to get that **** off the streets. Man. I doubt that he did it on purpose either. My guess is that he just did too much and mixed too many things together at the same time.

And like I said it could happen to anyone of us, or to the ones we love...so so sad...
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
wow...alot of heavy things to think about here with this posting.....having worked with familes affected by substance abuse and having a dad with a horrific addiciton, I feel for all of you. Responsibility and accountability are key components to problem solving.....easy to say someone who uses should pay more taxes out of their check....but realistically not fair. Nor is life and we should accept it, do whatever it is we can to get to that fair playing field, and move on. Dwelling in thoughts of ideal ways for society from a keyboard are not going to make major differances. i too have felt that I have been failed by the judicial system with dealing with my father's addiciton....but i am persistant and I have other things I try...from a larger societal prospective, killing off dealers and criminals is genocide...like hitler. Obviously not as harsh, and yes I agree they do deserve it, they being the dealers, but those dealers have mothers and fathers and innocent children who like many families of addicts, love their family member unconditionally no matter what road in life they take. And where does it stop? What about cig smokers or over weight people...do the best with what you have and make the most out of your resources.....pray for those who aren't able or ready to accept change and encourage those who need it
Helpful - 0
I agree that until your ready for help, it won't work.  I think there are degrees of addiction. Some people can do it on their own power. Then there are those that need the help up.

My neice was using for years. Ever since college. She had been to a few programs,etc. She was financially,physically,emotionally in ruin. She was taken in by a church financed rehab. That place saved her life. She says that again and again. She was not tough loved there. They embraced her, counseled her,supported her,loved her,integrated her back into society. Lifted her up in every way.

Today she is working a full time job, also has 2 side jobs. She has a full social life, full of clean freinds. She is the picture of health. She used to look like a physical wreck. So skinny you wondered how her legs held her. She even has a bank account for the first time. She is paying taxes and giving back to the program that saved her. That rehab has over 80% success rate. My daughter is in a county funded rehab, the success rate is less than 15%. My daughter is only there because the judge ordered it. She is not ready to go to the one my neice went to. So, in the end you are right. She has to decide for herself.

But my thing is this:If rehabs exist with that much success, why can't the state and government funded rehabs step up and model after those. Is it about the attitude that addicts are not worth the $$$$. Part of the reason people use is their self esteem is lousy. Being treated like (your a throw away in your society) does not help them. ThursdayNext, I think maybe you are lucky enough to be able to fight this addiction on your own, and maybe the forum is enough support for you. There are many who need alot more help. They aren't even well enough to post on the forum. They must have gotten in soo deep,they can't get up. They need someone to reach down and lend a hand.  You so right that only they can help themselves at that point. They must grab the hand and pull up with all their might. Don't you think they deserve a second chance. I applaud you for all your support to others and am very happy that you are doing so well.
Helpful - 0
Yes, I think you can't do much for them. You don't have the strength to help everyone. You do need to hand that situation over to God and the addicts.  You may have enough strength to take care of yourself and the child in your care. I pray that you can let go of your guilt. Focus on stopping the cycle, do not let the chaos effect the child and your home. That alone would be something to feel good about.
Helpful - 0
It is not the governments responsibility to take care of us. It is our responsibility to take care of ourselves and each other.
Helpful - 0
>> I THINK SOCIETY IS NOT DOING ENOUGH TO STOP THIS.

umm who is that, exactly?  So you think the governement or some social big daddy should  make your decisions for you as an adult?

>>> BUT I WISH THERE WERE WAS NO CHOICE IN THE FIRST PLACE,

no choice? in a free country? really? what else do you want to give up on choice so you will feel safe?

OR ATLEAST SOME REALLY GOOD TREATMENT CENTERS THAT WERE AFFORDABLE.

again it is everyone's problem to pay for the drug dependency of others?

Would  you pay extra taxes for cancer centers? spinal injury centers, sports injury clinics? -- could they take it from your paycheck so anyone can afford treatment for anythg needed? Are you asking for socialized medicine, and the resulting 70% taxation to cover it like in Sweden??

what in the world ever happened to person responibility?  if you put the drugs in your body, why not  turn to yourself, or family & friends and let them pay for it?
Helpful - 0
Hi.  What sad stories.  I worked for a substance abuse prevention program for the past 10 years.  We are now all faced with layoffs due to Bush diverting money to the war.  He doesn't understand what he is doing to our treatment and recovery issues.  I am off of vicodin 68 days.  My son is in jail and I'm sure did a lot of withdrawls in there, oxy's, methodone, vicodin, basically whatever he could get his hands on.  I was so afraid for him, still am but happy that he is not using right now.  His girlfriends son's dad, is dying.  He has two kinds of hepititus, lost both legs because of shooting up with a needle they would use for horses, shooting up in his feet.  Young man who will never see his little boy grow up now due to these drugs.  My son may go to prison not only for drugs, but for a whole bunch of breaking and enterings.  I'm sick about it all.  I am raising one of his children and have since 6 months old - she is now 7.  He helped in the beginning years, but always had good ole mom to pick up the slack.  His girlfriend is currently pregnant and using.  I'm scared for that baby too.  I also have two more nephews basically doing all of the above and they just got caught and are in jail too.  One of their arms are black and stuff from shooting up.  We all need to pray but sometimes I feel like that is all I can do now.  It's hard and feel somewhat a failure as a parent too.  I raised him alone and gave him way to much freedom, and now I feel like we are all paying for it.
Helpful - 0
I used to think like you.

BUT I WISH THERE WERE NO CHOICE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I beleive law inforcment and school officals have a responsibility to our young people to keep dealers out of the school yard. My son was a straight A student in 9th grade. He had straight A's in 10th grade classes. My daughter was in 4th grade(she is now a heroine addict). I was divorced, their father an alcoholic feeding them alcohol on weekends and their wed. nite visit (while I worked the night job). My ex, had a girlfreind who let my children smoke pot with her. I was working 2 jobs to support the children and myself NO CHILD SUPPORT. Went to court a million times, he didn't show, he was not arrested. When I caught on to the feedings his father was giving them. I took visitation away from his father. The justice system made this almost impossible. By the time I convinced LAW INFORCEMENT AND THE JUDGE,my son was drinking and smoking pot in the back of the school. (HE WAS A FULL BLOWN ALCOHOLIC). My son's grades went down the tubes. I wanted him mandated to a rehab. He was 16, so I couldn't make him go. SO THE RULE IS THAT IF YOU WANT TO FORCE A CHILD TO GET HELP, YOU HAVE NO PARENTAL RIGHTS, BUT IF THEY GET INTO TROUBLE YOU COULD LOSE YOUR HOUSE. The Law did not make my ex sell his house to help support his children. They said thay couldn't find him. On one court date he was in the jail right next door.  I asked that they go get him. Could not be done??? I used to have the kids eat at grandma's house.

ATLEAST SOME REALLY GOOD TREATMENT CENTERS THAT ARE AFFORDABLE

I have alot taken out of my paycheck, and pay outrageous taxes on my home. Yes, I would like to help pay to for cancer centers,spinal injury drug treatment,early intervention
etc. I don't want to get political and list what I don't want my taxes to be used for.
  It would be nice if people that put drugs in their bodies were responsible, but they are not. Most families can't afford to pay for their treatment. In the end prevention, early intervention,and a good treatment center will cost tax payers less. Keeping people in jail is costly. Also, as in my son's case, who is recovered and has been paying taxes for the last 5 years. He has definitly paid his debt to society and more.
I could write forever on this topic. Like I said I used to think like you. I come from a hard working All American Family. I always beleived that if you were honest and hard working, the justice system would work. I could write personal experiences that convinced me that THE AMERICAN DREAM, NOT TRUE.
  As you know from reading this forum. People that put drugs in their bodies, (there are many different reasons why they did it in the first place),the addicts are having a really hard time JUST STOPPING.  I am sure that most of them hate drugs and what it's done to them.  I hope they get help from first themselves, family, freinds,courts, rehabs, etc..   Some peoples families are their worst enemy. YES, I THINK WE NEED TO SUPPORT THEM. GIVE THEM A SECOND CHANCE. I beleive that they can return the favor.
Helpful - 0
I've had a dose of alot of this lately. Two days before christmas my boyfriend and I lost a friend, 51 years old used opiates pills, he went to sleep. His girlfriend also a pill popper couldn't wake him up in the morning. Another friend in his 40's is dying probably in a week or 2, has pancreatic cancer he abused alcohol. I just went to the doctor today. I saw a neighbor in the waiting room. She told me that one our neighbors (i know his family well) In his 30's  had a heart attack cocaine, he was buried this past tuesday. I am in shock from all of this. We always think it can't happen to us or our little circle. Or at least I guess I did. Now I'm more worried than ever about my daughter in rehab for heroine use. YOU ARE SO RIGHT, I THINK SOCIETY IS NOT DOING ENOUGH TO STOP THIS. I KNOW THAT YOU HAD A CHOICE. BUT I WISH THERE WERE WAS NO CHOICE IN THE FIRST PLACE,OR ATLEAST SOME REALLY GOOD TREATMENT CENTERS THAT WERE AFFORDABLE. I THINK YOUR RIGHT THE BEST THING YOU COULD DO IS GET RECOVERED AND SET AN EXAMPLE.
Helpful - 0
Absolutely
Helpful - 0
It's not our ears that are the problem it's our hearts.
Helpful - 0
I would like to say unbelievable...but you are correct...it is something that could happen to any addict, any one of us.

Nineteen and why?  Sad, very sad,and so close to your home too.

Is is an accident, someone screaming for help?  I just don't know where our society's ears are?  

After being on this forum do you ever shudder at the extent of the pain across age, class, color, it has permiated through all occupations etc.  I am scared when I read your post,  What can we do?  Other than set an example first to save ourselves.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.