Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

prescription addition and pregnancy

For a few years now i've been battling an addiction to opiate pain medications. First, it was hydrocodone, then oxycontin. Then, about a month ago i found out i was pregnant, so, horrified, i started taking methadone, 40 mg at first and now im down to 10 mg. i know i shouldn't be taking even this and i feel terrible every time i do, but i've heard that the stress of withdrawing is really hard on the baby too. i have nightmares every night and always think about the harm i'm doing to my precious innocent baby because of my weakness. Am i doing the right thing, or should i just quit taking everything? i haven't seen an obgyn yet because my insurance hasnt gone through but i need to know how bad this is for my unborn child. Thank you.
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i just posted a very important message that got lost.....This is no joking matter! Methadone and pregnancy does not guarantee healthy babies. I gave details earlier that were monitered off this board and I dont understand why....is this just a feel good sight,does anyone have to buckle down and accept responsibility? Or is this just a forum where we all pretend to be in confession while the big hand pats you on the back and says everything is going to be okay? Well in this case its not, Im sorry but there is a baby involved here.
Helpful - 0
This is really important...
I have a cousin in France that was on subutex during her pregnancies. 1st baby had withdrawls, irregular heart beat and infection at birth, he spent 3 months in the hospital after his birth he came out of it relativly normal but was unusually stiff and nervous compared to other children in the family. 2nd pregnancy was discovered abnormal at the 8th month and she had an abortion 3nd baby girl came last summer....she was normal weight good heart but now has a moter eye problem/ her eyes roll into the back of her head uncontrollably. They are spinning around in her head...it is frightning.
You think twice about having a baby under the strong affects of methadone. There is not enough research about this to have statistics.....I can only give you what my cousin has experienced and I want to slap her because she wants to have another baby.....with no intention of giving up subutex......

Sorry for the bad news.....
Helpful - 0
mnay prayers and much encouragement to you, but really, you MUST go to a hospital or free clininc in your area...if you make too much for the free clinic they tend to have a sliding fee sclae based on your income you will pay so much.....this is too intense of a situation to handle independently...go get some medical help
Helpful - 0
I have seen a regular poster here who knows a lot about pregnancy and methadone - I bet she shows up soon with a link to a site you will want to see.  There are other women in your situation getting help and having healthy babies.  If I can find the link myself, I will come back and post it...

Hang in there sweetie!  

Helpful - 0
What creek said!

Helpful - 0
Please don't wait for insurance.  Get to a hospital or community clinic and tell them your needs.  They will help you with a plan for the baby and you.  You are on the right track, but don't go this alone...SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP and get the answers you need for both of you,  I'll be thinking of you and please keep me posted.  Good Luck,,,my prayers are with you.
Helpful - 0
Glad to hear!

A baby is a wonderful thing, and believe me the doctors and professionals want what you want. Soooo do we!

We will be here!
Helpful - 0
Thank you very much. You know, reading everyone else's stories on here really gives me hope. I've always hidden my addiction from everyone I know, so this, the biggest issue in my life, has been unknown to all of my friends and loved ones. I really think having support would help me, but I've been so ashamed about this I haven't had the courage to go look for it. This baby is such a blessing because it's really opening my eyes, I've never considered myself an addict until now, by seeing the harm I'm doing to my baby I also realize the harm I've been doing to myself. I really appreciate each and every one of you for coming on here and trying to help people in this situation, which i think is the worst thing anyone could ever go through. Thank you for the support.
-Serah
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.