Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

To oneway about money and enjoying life

Oneway, you asked about flying and sailing. Said something about my job and that you would trade jobs to have money...something like that. Pardon me if I am not perfectly correct.

I seriously doubt you would want my job. I haven't worked since 1991 when I got serious cancer and was disabled with the near loss of my leg and the onset of chronic permanent nerve pain. My income is extremely low. I don't have dependable enough capital that would allow me to afford a home--rent or purchase. I am on disability and receive $700 a month for myself and my wife. I don't live like a king, but fortunately, I have never desired that anyway. Having a fine home is far down on the list. Mostly, those are used to show your success to others, a form of bringing a low self opinion up a few notches. I have so much self confidence and feel so good about life that I enjoy it in a very unique manner. Money isn't as important as you may think.

I will go to the next post where I am not so word restricted and provide my story. It's unique. I've done this before and I can say with authority that few will believe me, but all I say is true. You can do it too--if you decide to work at it and you can hold it together.
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yeah I am gonna post u one more time. Yeah the comment that really bothered me was how u said I usually can make friends if they can get over their jealously. Come on dog I know plenty of rich, intellegent, people that don't have problems with regular people because they treat them with respect. Your blaming my attack on you because of my personal fears and my lack of self confidence? Why? So u can write off everything I say as just low self esteem pyshco babble. Come on dude u said that story was for me, so that I could learn somethimg from it. Come homey that story was for u so u could feel proud about your accomplishments.  I think that's cool. But your blaming a doc for your drug problem, your in heavy denial. I thought u was smart. A smart guy like your self would have realized that taking 200mg of meth was gettin u tanked and that it was more then u needed Obviously u like that feeling of euphoria. So don't be in denial.  I guess anything u say is the truth and everything else is interesting comments. I personally think u did all that stuff so u could feel like u weren't some rich boy gettin hand fed. I respect anybody on they grind but I still feel like u have a attitude of I know better then u. Anyways I guess I'll be the same way when Im old and hear some young punk spittin venom.
Helpful - 0
176889 tn?1234352582
aw, I din't get mad, just a little excited...  I also appreciate motivationally minded getgo... you're good at it, too!... and you're definitely on target about me, that I've gotta get in gear and get off these droogs already and onto the next thing pronto...  and as for all this live for today cuz we're gone tamale stuff... ain't you kinda limiting yourself?? if death is it, all over done forever, it's kinduva pretty short deal ain't it?   please don't take me wrong, I'm far from being anybody, but I am at least trying to come from a loving place - really just want to see you, and everyone here, happy healthy and whole... physically... and spiritually.     Nefesh
Helpful - 0
That is a great story!! Im not quite as old as you are, but do know what you mean about things coming easy. Obly when you have confidence in yourself. I have a hard time with that in people because it all is a frame of mind only. I too have started several businesses, and almost lost my right leg. Now I suffer the nerve damage pain. RSD, really sucks!

My first true business was a video biz. Bought one of the first camcorders, and tape decks, and turned it into a TV station. Let me travel around the world, and win many awards for documentries. I also love to fly, and the most fun ever was hot air ballooning! Cant even feel the wind blow because you are traveling the same speed LOL. Kinda looks like the world is turning under the platform, instead of you moving.

Would love to get to know you more, as you are a rare individual!! Isnt very often I get to meet people that arent afraid of a little risk. Hope everrything in your world continues to be an adventure!!!

Allen
Helpful - 0
176889 tn?1234352582
quite a story indeedy! a real swashbuckler! now forgive me for asking - we're all in a pretty honest place here, what with our addictions hanging out and pretty freely admitting that we're here because we need some help - but, like, with all your self-confidence, disdain for the "dog", and quick eye for falsehood... well, what's it gonna get you in the long run?  in other words, have you applied your formidable intellect and talents to figgering out what in heck tarnation we're doing here?!?!  or towards what goal we need to apply our energies and inspirations???!!  I mean, with all the incredibly wondrous intricacy and marvel of design in the world (the way a finger works is more graceful and complex than any computer) it seems pretty clear to an honest (ok somewhat unusual) thinking (ditto) person, that this unbelievably vast world that functions on the exact same principles anywhere everywhere you turn (microcosm, macrocosm and everywhere twixt and tween) has obviously been created... and with the balance and scope being so beyond our ability to grok (how many degrees can the temp in our body fluctuate if we is to be called "alive"?) it stands to a b c reasoning that such a wildly superperfect Creator must perforce have a reason and purpose for such a creation...  so what is it man??!!  just have fun impress some folks maybe do a few good deeds if we're lucky and die goobye poof!!!  I don't buy it - and you don't either cuz you're WAY too smart...   Please please forgive my tone here... I'm trying in my own dumbish way to be honest... but I admire anyone wrassling with their addiction demons and I know you ain't feeling so fine and I really apologize if I'm bugging you (in a bad way)...  take care, good care, of yourself and get clean asap...   Nefesh
Helpful - 0
It is all a choice. You choose the path you walk, not the creator. Sure he put together everything, and put principles in place that work everytime. But, it is your choice to go down any path of your choosing.

You like to party? So be it. Drugs is your liking? Have at it. You want knowledge? Go to school, millions are addicted to that. You want to feel a rush? Jump out of an airplane, lots of my friends do that every weekend. Their drug of choice.

That is the nice thing about this wide, small, place in the universe we call home. Like a bunch of fish in a fishbowl, not able to see past our own galaxy clearly. We can choose to do whatever in our short time here.

For me, it is the idea there is sooooo much to do, and I dont want to look back and say, I coulda, woulda, shoulda. No, I went for it! No regrets. Not even the pain pills. I am not addicted. Im not chasing the next high from pills. I had pain! So I tried to control it. Found out it doesnt quite work like that. So now im getting off this merry go round, throwing the monkey off! I HATE monkeys!

When this is done Im on to better things. What about you?? You gonna sit around thinking about how pills control you, or, are you gonna pick yourself up, shake off, and get on with it?
I suggest believing you can DO ANYTHING you set your mind to. Go travel, or figure out what your born gift is. Then go do that. When you figure out what you do that is born to you better than anyone on this earth, you will be successful beyond your dreams with no sweat at all. It will come natural as breathing.

Sorry if I put words into mex's mouth, but you know you chose your path. He is being honest, or is he?? If anything he is motivational, nuthin wrong with that either. I hope you figure out your path after pills. Dont let that rule you. In fact if you let anyone get you mad, then you just revealed a hot button. Now peeps that know what make you mad can now control you anytime they want. Manipulate your moods.

Only a very select group should know that knowledge about anyone. But everyday people let others dictate how they feel, and how they act, without even realizing it. They gave that power to the others by revealing it.

I believe in you. You can be great! Anytime your willing to go for it.

Believe!

Allen
Helpful - 0
continuing from above...

I was born into a very wealthy family. My grandfather was so incredibly wealthy that he owned oil wells, football teams, race horses, uranium mines, as well as a very large chunk of Huntington beach, California. As a kid, I can recall him bringing me trapdoor spider holes from Montana, stacks of silver dollars, 100 dollar bills, a kids motorized jeep when I was five, and photos of him in chiefs outfits, eagle feathers to his toes. He was so well liked that the indians honored him. He gave a new car to every adult in two tribes and scholarships the kids. My wife is a Cherokee--maybe my adoration of the Indians came from Grandad?

We had servants and groundsmen and huge cars with footrests in the back. That was the folks. Grandad didn't show off. Cigar lighters, not those little cigarette lighters. We had a farm in San Jose and raised fancy birds. Mostly exotic pheasants from Malaysia, several fancy and expensive horses and a nasty pinto quarter horse that rolled over on my little punkin head when I was six. We had chickens, dog, cats, and weasels, etc. It was pretty great and I got to drive the old tractor as a kid. My favorite guy was uncle Joe--a Filipino. He had a sword collection that was awesome, and a shrunken head that was real. He taught me how to ride motorcycles and jerk the heads off chickens. He was super cool and he smiled a lot.

My grandfather was an extremely intelligent person with an IQ over 150. He was a multimillionaire in the 20's. That would make him a billionaire by todays money. He taught me a lot. He lived in Long Beach, not in a mansion, but in a large apartment with his second wife Jess. He cared for his first wife as well as his son and daughter by providing them each with $40,000 a year for life. That was more than he took himself. His businesses were wealthy, and they provided him benefits galore, but you would never know that he was filthy rich. He didn't put on any visible dog. He didn't need to. Grandfather was a highly confident man. He taught me that.

I finished high school, went into the military to get college funds, went to college for a degree in psychology then a masters in business, then to Law school at University of Utah School of Law. I worked my way through by fixing motorcycles--which I enjoyed tremendously.

I quit law school early after learning something that was the most valuable lesson I have ever had. I owned two homes by that time and had learned that it doesn't take money to have things. I purchased both homes while in school and without an income--I didn't tell any lies to get them nor was it any problem. I can do the same thing today--if I wished, and I may.

After quitting law school, I purchased a BMW/Hodaka/Montesa motorcycle dealership that I ran from an initial value of $50,000 to $500,000 in six years. I lost that business when Oregon went into a statewide recession and the wood mills closed. Oregon economy is based on wood products, and with the housing industry in a huge slump, the Oregon economy was in total ruins. Thousands were on unemployment or simply starving. You couldn't give a house away. BMW made some horrible business errors that killed 147 dealerships nationwide (I survived that--barely) but then Hodaka went into receivership and it was all over. Hodaka was the moneymaker--we sold them as fast as we got them. BMW is a superb bike but economically very limited. A shame to go under as I had put in plans for opening several accessory houses that would have been in economically stable California. Never got there...

I filed the corporation into bankruptcy, packed my 22 foot Terry trailer, hitched it to the old Cadillac, and my wife and I headed south. I worked as the manager of several motorcycle shops in California for the next three years and saved my money. I was into alcohol pretty heavy then and had to correct it before it ripped my head off. Nastiest hangovers I have ever had. I was young, and youth brings toughness, dropping the booze wasn't hard. To this day, I can drink socially or not at it, it just never matters. I don't allow myself to get high and I don't have hangovers. That was my fight and I won. It was not easy but I understood the importance of it. I would get nowhere in life as a drunk. I had to tie that horse off to a permanent post and never forget the dollars it cost or the damage it created. So I did it, kept it that way, and never regretted any loss.

In a couple years I opened a new business--actually my fourth now. I once built a business of weekend sales of roach clips I produced  and sold at the local flea market into a national concern. It was a big business with 25 stoned hippies making some 30 different clips and pipes and other things into a nationally marketed business.

Ha! Bank of America refused me an account for what I did until I brought a bag of money into the president--I had almost a quarter of a million dollars in that paper bag. He did a complete reversal of his stand on pot and opened me an account. Interesting what it takes for staunch suit-types to become a lot less rigid. Before that one, while I was in high school, I did window signs for the local supermarkets and designed a steam cleaning apparatus for fast food restaurants--that's still in use today. I have designed many successful things. Never patented a thing however and never regretted it either. Those of you that think me stupid, you need to know and understand how easy it is to legally violate the patent laws.

My new business was a marine canvas fabrication company. I started this one on $300, the cost of the sewing machine--and that and some $2,000 in savings was all I had. I never did touch the savings.

It blossomed into a dynamic company in a few years of very hard work. Let me tell you that marine canvas--if you use my method, is one of the most profitable, most difficult to screw up businesses there is. I continually wrote a monthly column in several international trade magazines as to how I did it and only three people ever adopted my methods. They are very successful now and I occasionally hear from them,. They continually thank me while the losers still ***** but claim their methods the best. The difference? Confidence in your initial fitting and refusal to waste time with countless visits to the boat for refittings.

I learn quickly because I put a lot into it, so learning that business was not a problem. It flourished. Unfortunately, just after I took in a partner to watch over the stateside operations while I expanded to international operations, I was diagnosed with Clark's lever IV-V malignant melanoma cancer and told I would die.  I can't believe my retort to the doctor, but it was true. I said "I can't die Doc, I don't have the time for it". And I meant it. I wasn't even worried because I was so excited about my new jump to international fabrication.

Unfortunately, I had a neighbor who was a physician and she got involved. She turned out to be a phony doc. She was actually a sociopath and pathological liar with no medical training at all. She was just intent on damaging someone. She got me with unnecessary and untrained surgery that left me very disabled and in permanent pain. Couldn't even collect the 2.1 million the court awarded me. Her husband was a retired LAPD officer and they are untouchable. Sort of a bummer.

After surgery, and while I was bedridden and not knowing if I was actually dying or not my partner and his wife conned me out of the business by presenting phony documents to show that they owned it. His wife was a CPA and phonied up some documents. I was too sick to fight. I lost EVERYTHING except a half sunk 40 foot ketch, and I moved aboard. I had just bought the boat for $15,000 cash and sold my smaller boat for $19,000 but the state took that money. I didn't have insurance and this surgery and continuing care was now into the millions. I was flat broke and disabled. Worse, with only $450 a month in disability, I couldn't afford to live in California. The slip for my 40 foot boat alone cost $605 a month. I pulled up stakes and sailed to Washington where I could get a slip for $180 a month.

That marine canvas business was a great business. I met tons of movie stars and singers. Even Michael Jackson and Tito were regulars there. That was when Michael was just a nice quiet boy and a very pleasant person. Actually, all the Jacksons are good people. I got to enjoy them quite a lot. The problem child was Jan Michael Vincent. He once came in with this huge festering spot on his leg and told me that a Brown Recluse Spider bit him when he was cleaning out the garage at the ranch. It didn't do any good as Jan can be hard headed, but Brown Recluses are not in California.  They don't extend much past Texas. I continue to hear this Brown Recluse **** over and over. Why do people not want to believe rather solid findings of entomological researchers? Some folks can be so dumb.

I am trying to keep this short--Seriously. I have cut out a LOT! So, with a new life in Washington, I wander the dock amoung people who just are not friendly. I'm a Californian and these idiots hate us because they think we caused the price inflations there by buying homes for so much money. Now really, has thinking completely ceased? When does any Californian come to Washington and say "only $40,000? Hmmm, do you think you could please accept $350,000 instead"? The bump in prices came from the greed in Washington, not the stupidity of people in California. People everywhere are as dumb as cocker spanials and if you let them, they will prove it over an over again.

I was getting a serious cold shoulder and I'm a nice guy. I usually have friends--at least those who can  get over their idiotic have-have not jealousy. One guy who was a friend--the marina manager--told me it would be at least three years before I could be accepted. I said I bet if I was a local businessman that would change overnight. He disagreed. I decided to find out and opened a business. I only had $280 in savings and no income, but I had a bunch of old boat parts I had been collecting from weekend trips to swap meets where I picked up huge bargains. I rented a small, nearly hidden place, behind a store, and with no actual address. Calling it a "marine exchange" went into the junk business. I wrote a computer program to handle the intake and dispersal of goods as well as the payment of their cut and I was up and running. That first week I took in over $20,000 in consignables and sold almost $3,000 in owned parts. I was now financed.

My success was due wholly to a front page article I engineered with the local paper. "Crippled man refuses to die and opens business instead" It was a headliner and took most of the front page in this news desperate community of about 12,000.

In three months I moved to a 10,000 sq foot two story building downtown in the marina. I had some good friends there now. Just as I told my marina manager friend--success attracts. He had to agree. In eight months, I had netted myself and my wife $66,000 and had over $100,000 in inventory, a super efficient intake system and a very  sweet computer program to handle the cash flow.

I am a businessman, so this is never a problem for me. I well understand the system from things my grandpappy told me when I was a youngster. Business is so incredibly easy--and of course, very profitable, if you don't mind attending to the details, working, and not getting personally greedy. One incorrect businessman I know bought a new Thunderbird as soon as his loan came through, thinking he was rich. He was out of business within months because of his need to show off and try to live high. Putting on the dog only gives you an expensive dog when you really want success--and success takes thinking and patience.

The local pain clinic put me on methadone--that's what allowed me to begin work again. They took me off cold turkey eight months later. The jerk! Cost me yet another business. He thought 200mg daily was overdoing it. Science understands that there is no practical upper limit to opiate intake. It's whatever it takes to control pain. Coulda shot the F*****g *******! He also called all the other pain clinics in a 200 mile radius and told them I was an addict. Of course I am. Anyone who uses long term will be. I could not believe the lack of intelligence I found there. Although I did have two friends with IQ in excess of 140 and that is rare. Those folks are in the 1% region. One was a physician with a PhD and the other was a scientist. Good friends too. Good people. Too bad the physician couldn't prescribe opiates though. Wasn't his field.

So, I set out for a cruise around the world. My old sunken boat was now well found from work my wife and I had done. We didn't have money, but that hadn't ever stopped us. We got as far as the tip of Baja in Mexico and we still are there. Some would call this living in paradise, but Americans can't work in Mexico. Even if I could, the business laws here are the most arcane I have ever experienced.

So, I plan to sell my boat and return top the states, buy a house or two, get some acreage so I can put in a private airport, and enjoy flying. I might buy a second airplane too. I would like a long EZ, or perhaps a KitFox V, or if I can really do it right, an all metal STOL CH-701. Although the Skyboy also interests me.

As you can see, it really doesn't take money. The train to success is confidence and doing something.

Anybody wanna buy a super duper 41 foot cruising ketch? I would consider $70,000 although it is listed higher.

Seriously, if there are those of you who feel like life has been rough on them, no one has lost more than me. Still, I'm not in the dumps. I live well by attitude and because I don't give up, I can continue to do so. It really doesn't take much.

Now, if I can hear from the usual whiners and disbelievers, that would make my day. The more of you there are the easier it is for me to continue successfully. Frankly though, I think this group is a bit tougher. You people impress me...especially the gals.

You know, I enjoyed bringing this to you and it makes hope to see some of you do the same. This helped me during the fits I'm having while I taper off way too fast and feel terribly shitty.

Haaa, ha, ha! I'm in Mexico where they love to party! The neighbors have been singing and carrying on with extremely loud music for the third day now. We had a person over here briefly who complained bitterly about it. He's a lawyer and what a cramp in life he can be. He hates almost everything. Makes me glad I didn't take that last six months of law school. Lawyers learn to lie and think it's normal and usual.... Probably is but doesn't mean I have to do it.

Wow are they loud now...I live band I think.

Mexicoman
Helpful - 0
OH MAN!! Am I ever looking forward to the next life!! Can you imagine that the universe we cant even comprehend will be wide open to us!

Traveling at the speed of thought! Anywhere! Knowing every detail about everything! Oh no! Im not just stuck here. We are here for a reason!

Mine is to sample as much as I can, and help as many as I come across. I share everything always. Sometimes to a fault. But as it is written, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I live by some written words. I do believe, what you sow, is also what you reap!

I used to have 250 employes under me. They would do anything for me. All the other directors were tyrants, with department heads doing anything they wanted, and employees very unhappy. They always asked me, what is your secret. But, they are hard words for those with hard hearts. Success comes to those who would do anything they ask of others. Just work a little harder than everyone else, not kill yourself.

Even in my family life, I have 6 kids. But, I never said 3 are biological, and 3 are foster. Took in 3 brothers, and raised them as my own. Sacrifice here, and it is a reward there.

I do believe in you! And everyone else working hard to throw off the monkey. I just hope they also believe in their selves. Life isnt bad, it is what you make of it. Make it great!!

All the best to you!

Allen
Helpful - 0
Yo I think all the stuff that you done in your life is good. I said I'd trade jobs with you not because of any money reasons,but becuase I thought it would be nice to be in baja. So u could have save the speech that money is evil because I have a feelin I know that better then u. I think It is good that your confident but usually confident people don't have to tell everybody how confident they are. U seem to have all the answers to life but u seem to be in the same spot we all are. U said that the haters make your day well, I have a feelin that all the people who u call  a hater or nonbeleiver are people who find your confidence borderline cocky. And to say u had it rougher then anyone else is disrespecting everyone on this forum. U obviouly want to let evryone know that u are intelligent but u have intellgence confused with education and IQ scores. I liked to see how intelligent u would feel if I gave u brick of raw and told u to get rid of it by noon in a united states open air drug market, since your so business savy, my guess is that u would either get robbed or killed. Just like how I would be lost in your business world. I don't know man, every time I posted to you you always seem to have a know it all answer or a rude or underhanded comment towards me. You say that it so easy to get into business but u forget that most of us don't come from extremely wealthy families, even if your family didn't give u money u were around people that knew business. if U were surrounded by killers, crackheads and theives. I doubt u would have been able to do what u did if u were put in that environment. U posted me saying that u want a friend to help support u but u seem to have all the answers. So I will not reply to your post anymore and please don't reply to mine. Go head call me a hater I just don't like cocky people.
Helpful - 0
Interesting comments.

I really suggest you go back and read it again and do try to be open minded this time. I neither meant or actually said anything derogatory or demeaning to or about anyone.

It's interesting how our own fears of being less or perhaps second has tied our abilities, our confidence and made our thinking anything but totally rational.

AND... before anyone comes down on me for the above, consider that I very definitely included myself in my comment. I do think you are suffering a bit or you would see that this is simply a tale of a persons rather difficult life.

I think I am seeing some difficulties from you through not necessarily just the pain of withdrawal, but the perhaps problems associated with attempting to have a usual or normal life.

Additionally, nothing I said was boastful, just a factual tale of my existence that I hoped would help Oneway to understand that we all have difficulties. I lost everything three times--part of which was my ability to walk. Oh yes, I can get out of the chair and walk--just not far...maybe 10 steps. No problem, and no, I'm not complaining.

My apologies. I sincerely did not expect to bother anyone.

Nefesh, please read it again. You appear sincerely bright, but perhaps you are looking a bit harshly at life and yourself. Try reading it as if it were coming to you from someone speaking softly, gently, and honestly. That wasn't a boastful, resentful, hating tale but one of honesty placed before you from one in a most pleasant mood. Nothing I said was from a harsh attitude. I am probably the happiest guy you will ever meet--even now having lost almost everything but my life.  

Hmmm, yes, I am withdrawing, so I do feel a bit rough, but never angry. I am sorry but I very seldom suffer that particular malady. I haven't been angry in years.

To Oneway: Yes we are a bit in the same bucket, but I am on pain meds because of a physical disability given to me by a sociopath pretending to be a doctor. It is finally time to stop as I believe I can handle my pain now. I have waited a long time for this, but wondered if it would ever come. I doubted I would ever be over the pain. To me, this is a pleasure.
Helpful - 0
Dont need an apology here bro. I was facinated at your story. It is incredible that we have a similiar story line. In that we both have the leg troubles, and I am working on my 3rd fortune, Lost the first 2 lol.

The video biz was taken from a preacher no less! He wanted to be a star preacher, so when I was in africa he decided to take the equipment and run. 1/2 a million in TV equipment. Never seen him again, not even on TV LOL.

Then the docs oops'ed on me, and nearly lost my leg. I can walk too, but not far. Soooo got me a wheelchair, and a pronto for fast easy getting around w/o help.

Decided it's time to take my life back, and dumped the pills. We'll see what the future holds.

Only difference, I was raised in the hood, and just made up my mind there is more to life than this. I guess it helps to have a 170 IQ also, but I never really relied on that. It only caused strife between me and others, as they thought I was acting better than them. I was just being normal. Nobody told me I couldnt challenge courses in school, so I did and graduated 1 year early, and could have done it even earlier but my dad wanted me to be normal. I thought I already was???

Anyways take care down in baja, real fun place!

Allen
Helpful - 0
176889 tn?1234352582
hey mexicoman!  you definitely got it right as far as money's concerned... maybe the money addiction is even worse than the opiate addiction - at least society makes you feel bad for being an opiate addict, but it lathers praise and attention on the greenback addicts!...   where do I find the continuation of your story?  Looking forward to it...          Nefesh
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.