Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Are these methadone withdrawl symptoms

My husband was electricuted 20 years ago and suffers severe pain due to intenal burns and nerve damage. He has never returned to work and has been on everything from vicodin,oxicontin,morphine and of course methadone. As much as 20 pills a day mixing everything as the doctors reccomended and still never taking the full amount. 7 months ago he decided he had all he could take and has kicked everything but the final monster seems to be the inability to get off the methadone. He can't get under 20 mgs. a day due to unbelievable leg pain,abdominal trouble,in the middle of the night ( if he takes none ) he has what is like leg and arm seizures and the headaches are enough to make him physically sick. He is now suffering from gerd and has had a number of heartattacks, the last was 6 years ago. His cronic pain Dr. says he does not think these are symptoms of methadone withdrawl. If he can get past
the extreme leg pain(his major complaint)and the headaches he could probably deal. He is gaining large amounts of weight and his colesteral is finally down to 350 (from over 500). He is 5'5"
and 180 lbs. I don't know what else these symptoms are from except the methadone. Please advise and be assured he is under every bit of medical care he needs but methadone withdrawl has all his doctors stumped.He wants off the methadone and to do nothing more then to return to work even after almost 20 years this is his dream. This week the Drs. put him back on methadone twice a day to avoid another heartattack.Now he feels totally defeated.Please help us understand are these withdrawls?
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
175363 tn?1200946321
Boy, your nickname for the forum says it all.
I DO believe what he is going through is Methadone withdrawal. The symptoms of Methadone withdrawals are as follows...
Helpful - 0
I have a Question..... Why does he want to get off methadone?, Surely he can still go back to work while on it.
is he getting it from a methadone clinic in liquid form?,... or from a doctor and pharmacy in pill form?.....people typically function quite well on methadone after reaching a maintenance dose.

yes coming off methadone is very difficult.....in fact certain withdrawl sympyoms can persist for up to 18 months.... post acute withdrawl syndrome (PAW), and it can vary greatly from individual to individual.... I would certainly say that if there are possible health risks you are concerned about related to the stress of withdrawl I would be more inclined to avoid coming off the methadone,, it just doesnt seem worth the risk
Helpful - 0
175363 tn?1200946321
I came to a point where I felt as if the Methadone was sucking the life outta me. That's exactly what it was doing, too... Oh, at first you get a great HIGH, and tons of energy but eventually that goes away and you can never get it again. The energy you can still attain even after years of being on it. Methadone is terrible, and should he decide to stop, well...thats a personal decision. Everyone has their different reasons why they want to quit.
Why would you try to convince someone otherwise???
If that's what he wishes to do, then let him become a truly functional person again. The Methadone is just masking the problems.
Are you currently prescribed Methadone?
Helpful - 0
methadone is causing the w/d symptoms if the dose is not high enough it happens, if he chooses to get off of it he can w/ds are hard but worth it I have 3mnths off of it c/t at 350 a day, but the meth was in control of my life and took away my emotions and made me a walking zombie, I hope he is well and post back lots of goosd advice and support
Helpful - 0
175363 tn?1200946321
I have a problem with people who post on here trying to talk others out of quitting...IT ****** ME OFF!!
Do you think I was out of line????
Helpful - 0
no you are not I hate to see people on that **** to me its evil and at 20 mils he can do it and should I would say most of his promblems are due to the meth and hopefully he realizes it before it kills him you know it causes heart promblems and god only knows what else ,sorry if I made you mad didnt mean to your friend christie
Helpful - 0
I was on methadone for 7 yrs, and have been off of it for 2, it was
expensive,and by the way, the last mile (20 or so miligrams IS THE HARDEST)...and if I had been getting it from a doctor (cheap) I probably would have stayed on it, I know of people who, after being on methadone for many years and then stopped shortly thereafter developed health problems, sometimes the body just cant cope with the change and come back to what it was or what it should be and neurological problems can develop... (sometimes)...this is a fact,...and including health problems, it could also leave parts of your brain unable to cope normally, in other words I have seen many people be put on drugs like anti-depressants / mood stabilizers etc long term......... so which is the worst of the two evils?
lots of people have to take medication for the rest of their lives.. and all meds long term have some kind of negative impact......so why be afraid of methadone,...just because its addictive?.... if he gets it and takes it on a regular basis (like he would take his PLAVIX) what is the problem?
Helpful - 0
175363 tn?1200946321
The problem is...he says he wants to quit EVERYTHING. That's his goal. Who are you to take that away from him, or make him second guess his decision. If someone has decided to quit, you support them, not try to confuse them or change their mind.
It takes alot of Ba**s to quit, the first step of just coming here is a HUGE step in the right direction (even if it was through his wife). Does it take guts to keep pumping your body full of chemicals that weren't intended to be there in the first place? No that's the easy road. The sooner he makes the decision to stop, the better off he would be, you of all people should understand that, being clean yourself.
You have just struck a nerve with me. All they asked for was to understand the withdrawals, and for help. It is his DREAM to be off these. I just see you as something in the way of that dream.
Don't you hear the desperation in her words she wrote?
Why would you help them by saying, "surely he can take the Methadone and still function". Well, maybe he won't take that road, the easy road. Maybe he has TRULY HAD ENOUGH.
Helpful - 0
im not trying to take it away.yes im glad I stopped, but he seems to have some other complicating issues, and there are risks to CONSIDER before going forward,...but yes in the end I would say go forward,.... test the waters as you go but dont be ashamed to jump back if you HAVE TO.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.