Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Feeling really guilty

The rehab just let me talk to my daughter. She had a bad weak, but is not complaining. She never has been a whiner. Last week she left the rehab.  She had to clean for disapline all this week from 6 am. to 9pm., she didn't complain about that either. She fiquired she did the crime, so she had to do the time.  She was allowed to talk to me when I called midweek for 5 min. She was really sick (bad bad cold, sounded terrible.) She said she didn't mind cleaning all day  (she doesn't mind work, it keeps her mind of her problems,but she really did not feel good. I felt bad for her. Tonight when I was allowed to talk to her for 5 minutes, I think I blew it. I told her about the friend that has about a week to live.  He was a heavy drinker, and is dying from pancreatic cancer. My daughter was close to him. He is alot older than her and kind of took her under his wing.  He and his girlfreind own a garden shop. My daughter worked for them when she was barely 13. They even let her earn money and saved it for her. ( took her with them to Austrailia on vacation when she was 17). She worked for Gary lobstering also. I'm not sure I should have told her, in her fragile state.  After I told her about Gary. She couldn't talk anymore, just crying. Our 5 minutes was up, I told her I loved her. The end of phone call.
  My question to all of you is should I keep our conversations only upbeat. Tell her the bad stuff later?? Now I feel just terrible for her.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
175363 tn?1200946321
Later, she will thank you for your honesty. Right now i know you feel like a sh** for telling her, but keeping it honest between the two of you now is very important.
Plus, imagine her reaction if she found out you knew and didn't tell her.
I think you did the right thing. She is going through w/d's still and is going to be VERY emotional.
Chin up, Mom. Your honesty was best.
Lisa
Helpful - 0
I don't know the story of your daughter but the world continues to rotate and everything happens for a reason.  She may feel anger, regret, sadness, but at least she is feeling something and that is better than feeling nothing at all.  
As for your guilt.  You are in uncharted waters perhaps as you navigate your way you will have a better understanding of what is appropriate and what is not based on your mistakes and successes with her.  
Best of Luck
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.