Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

The Mental part of withdrawl

Can anyone tell me how to beat this mental - overpowering feeling of " I HAVE TO HAVE A PILL!!! " ? - I seem to get through withdrawl with definate withdrawl symptoms ( no sleep , aching legs and restless leg , many bathroom visits , etc. ) - but nothing I cant handle ( I deal with it the best I can...) - BUT. My problem is changing my way of thinking. My other problem is that my habbit is a secret and has to stay that way. NO-ONE can know , thats why I need your help!!! My own husband dosent even know , he would be SO upset with me. He is a wonderful person , we've been married for 13 yrs. and have 2 children. I cant let them down , financially and other ways , if I dont stop this , I will let them down in so many ways that I just could never forgive myself. PLEASE , help!! THANK YOU
16 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Just KNOW that this is part of the withdrawal...no, youre losing your mind..its just the withdrawal.  Say that to yourself over and over and over.  You are sick right now and the mental withdrawal is a symptom of your sickness.  Pray...I remember I prayed constantly that first week of c/t.
Helpful - 0
I'm in the same boat. Hang in and it will be over in a few weeks. Understand that what you want is poison. Do you see the insanity of "craving" poison? What are you on and how many days is it?
Helpful - 0
I am going to be honest with you all. I just after 2 days of having NO pills , got a fill of 90 hydrocodone 10/325's. I am going to taper off of them ( I have done this before and do well with the schedule ) - but then , its my mind that plays tricks on me. I think part of the problem is no sleep , because that is the one symptom that bothers me the most , along with the restless let symptom. I just cant seem to convince myself that I dont need the pills. They give me energy , and I am the " wonder Mom " when I take them. Going through withdrawl and having a family to take care of is hard , because you cant go to bed and pull the covers over your head for weeks until the symptoms pass when you have a 6 and 9 yr. old , and a husband who dosent know your problem.
Helpful - 0
It is the self talk. Everyone does it, and you have to tell yourself positive things. Like im not gonna want the poison, NEVER!! I can, and WILL quit! For my huband, for my kids, and especially for me!!

Pretty soon your subconcious will get the message, and your self talk will change. Everything your thinking now, is Stinkin Thinkin. You can do it!

I believe in you! Once you beat this, there is nothing you cant do! Then you truely are a superwoman!

Cheerin you on to greatness!

Allen
Helpful - 0
I have 3 kids, a husband, a house to care for and I work full time so I know what u mean about being wonder woman.  But if u think about it the pills dont do anything to make u a better mom or wife.  It consumes all your thoughts and alot of your time; not to mention the guilt.  I know that for me at 7pm I stopped being a mom or wife b/c by then I was spaced out on pills.  I'm so thankful that my body doesnt need them anymore and I am working on getting my mind to understand that now; which like u said is harder..but it will happen.
Helpful - 0
nikki,
ouch!...as a mom with children and a household to deal with, it must be hell. I'm an old retired guy with a loving lady to take care of me as I've gone through this unforeseen hell.
I wish I knew solid advice...I don't.....does tapering all the way really work?...I did  a bit, and then went cold turkey.
brian
Helpful - 0
I've been reading here on this forum for the last month and finally got my pwd to post here.  I've been going though the same thing hiding the truth from my family while going broke buying them.  This is day two of going without any and I've experienced waking up in a cold sweat.  It's kinda scary.  I thought I was losing my mind. But I'm glad i came across this forum it's wonderful.
Helpful - 0
Yes , tapering does help , if you can stick to it.  There will still be withdrawl , but NOTHING like cold turkey. The hard part of tapering is sticking to it. If you can beat that , yes , your witdrawl is easier. For you , you have gone too far to turn back now. You are doing SSSSSSOOOOOOOO good if you have gone 10 days!!!!! I am proud of you , I dont think I have ever gone 10 days.  But my plan is to try now. Having support really helps! I feel like you all understand what I am going through and it is such a good feeling to just vent to someone who can relate , you know??
Helpful - 0
This is so true. I'm new here but I can say that I have a 10yr and 6yr and also a husband that doesn't know about what's going on again.  When he did found about it last year we almost ended up in divorce.  We just didn't go to the last divorce hearing.  So it's scary for me to even say anything about it.  But with the arguments and things with us the pills always seem to numb me to be able to deal with things.  I can say I do miss taking them every night because I can't sleep at night.  But I know I don't need them.
Helpful - 0
How long has it been since your last pill? I too am wondering - when does sleep return?? Anyone have any ideas???
Helpful - 0
Honestly... it does get better.   Been free of my pills now for over 30 days... I was frantic about 6 weeks ago when I found this site... I just wanted out so bad.

I'm an old lady...57 in two weeks...three surgeries in three years and have been taking my opiate pain killers for 5 years.

They were all Rx'd... Dr. thought I was responsible...but I found ways to abuse them.  It all goes the same way for most of us.  Last six months I've been feeling like ****... started on just more meds to feel better... depression, not sleeping, anxiousness.. it was all the PILLS.  Your body seems to need more between doses you start to get symptoms of mini-withdrawals, and eventually just stay on the pills to go through full blown W/D.

Anyway...Do I feel "normal" yet.. Nope... but I do feel a lot better than I did three weeks ago.

And as I see several of you post... my PILLS were my little secret.  My fiance, my family, my work partners, no one knew.. and THEY CAN'T KNOW....so yer not so all alone.

I did the cold turkey route and took a 4 day hit of feeling like ****.  There is an excellent article I will post later about tapering... although to me... it would feel like just prolonging the inevitable... it all comes down to taking that last pill.   Think about this... look at that pill...it's dormant...it has no power whatsoever...it's totally lifeless...

We give it life when we decide to use it.  Shoot.. I'll be damned if I'm going to EVER get into that again.. it's only a pill... life is so precious...this is not a dress rehearsal.  Stole that from Dr. Phil...(bit of humor)

Hang in- keep posting...and wishing you all a day..however you can make it.

NO ONE can get off this pill-go-round no matter which method you decide to do... until YOU ARE READY!  Took me 3 months to really "GET THAT"

Be well
Gip
Helpful - 0
Wow!

That is soooo true!!
You go girl!!!!

Allen
Helpful - 0
It's been two days since my last one.  What a great birthday gift to myself today. What do you think nikkithe1andonly?
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I felt so all alone until today. I will continue to post. I have a job interview that I have to get ready for...but I will be back tomorrow. Please say prayers for me , and I promise to do the same for all of you. I beleive in prayer , and I do , in the bottom of my heart , beleive that our minds controll everything , and that if we all could just beleive we can do this , then it will happen. I really look forward to talking to you all tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's support. Maybe a job will help me by keeping me occupied - I was layed off and I think that has a large part to do with my problem now .... too much time on my hands...-till  tomorrow.......bye!
Helpful - 0
I think that is wonderful!!! 2 days and going strong!!!! Keep it up - we all can encourage each other!!! 2 days is such an accomplishment. They say take 1 day at a time. Happy Birthday by the way.....how old are you?
Helpful - 0

I'm just like most of you who posted on this subject, no one knows and can't find out. Not my wife, friends, not anybody.

The longer I took the pills the more guilty I felt. God will decide when it's time for everyone to stop. I kept telling myself that. It's not my time, I"m okay.

Yesterday was pay up time for me. I'm glad it finally came or I would never had done it.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.