Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

The slow taper method.. for everyone!

here ya go!

As you guys know, I've been tapering for about two weeks now (down to 3/4 a pill a day now)!

Anyways, people like Tweety, or others who are experiencing severe w/d - here's the key to pain free withdrawl from hydrocodone.

Step One: Find you a calendar and lay all your doses out inside the squares (10 a day for example).

Step two: On day One take your normal dose except shave approximately 1 mg off of one pill (toss the powder, don't snort it) - shave 1mg off for the next three days.

Step Three: After three more days, shave 2mg off of a pill - wait three days and continue to shave 2mg off of a pill, do this until their is nothing left to shave off.

I was told the key to a successful taper is waiting a minimum of three days to allow your body to adjust to the new dose.

This method may not work for everyone, but it's been a success for me. My sister is currently on a tapering schedule. She was taking 15-17 Lortab 10's per day. She is now down to 4 per day, it's taken her a while, but she said w/d's were very minimal and in a couple more weeks, she will be opiate free.

Slow and steady wins the race - why torture your body and feel like **** suffering through cold turkey? C/T may work for some, but for those of us afraid of the w/d's and have to go to work and be around people all day - The 1-2mg every three day shave-off is the way to go.

Hope this helps someone!

TB
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am deathly scared of c/t i have went many times through w/d's and i just cant do it. I have tried but cant even make 1 day. Pretty sad hey-Tweety :(
Helpful - 0
I did a slow taper from 10 pills, 5mg hydro, a day, by reducing my dosage by half a pill every three to four days.  When I was down to half a tablet I did that for 3-4 days and then I was finished.  It worked well for me.  No shaving pills and throwing the rest away.  Split them because you'll need them all for the taper to be successful.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
I wish i could shave off a piece but they are slow release. + i flushed my percocets. So im in with the oxycotins only. For the rest of this week im doing the 80 a.m and p.m. since i flushed the percs i added a 20 mg oxy in the day. makes me feel a bit better. Im sticking with this but next week im going to 60mgs  a.m and p.m and 20 mid-day. Hopefully i can make it work that way-Thanks Tweety
Helpful - 0
HAH!
Allen you quick my friend! LOL

This is it here Nikki, what rs posted.

Thanks allen!!!

Tracy
Helpful - 0
LOL... that's a lot of damn pills... rofl... .someone would have to have a HUGE amount of pills to do that kind of a taper...20 pills a day is HUGE... I'm sure glad I never got up to 20... but I have a very dear friend.. pppfffttt... 20 is nothing to her a day

My Rx'd dose was 4 a day... trust me I found ways to make it a lot more some days and less on others.... I became an expert in knowing how many days left 'til I could get a new script.. we have a 20% rule here in my state.. so if I was RX say 100... I could fill a renewal 5 days ahead of the last one.   Sometimes if I went to the Drs ... she'd give me a new 'script and I would take it to a different pharmacy and just pay cash instead of using my ins. card... and still have a renewal on the last script... that was a party time... it's not like I never abused this stuff... but it was all RX'd.

Lordy..... this pills are a crime...

I'm wondering how many lives are affected by these damn opiates and they never reach out.... THEY ARE A CRIME....

gIP

Helpful - 0
I totally agree!

Mine were all rx'ed too. Could stil get them if I wanted to be on the pill-go-round LOL.

Love that little phrase hahahahaha!!

Allen
Helpful - 0
176889 tn?1234352582
I'm kinda embarrassed to write... I been readin' here on and off - lots of good stuff, no... GREAT stuff goin' here... I also checked out the PAW site - Thank Y'all - but I know it's just an excuse and I'm just being a dope but I keep gettin' yanked back and forth on this taper vs. c/t thing... I know, "just try the taper and if it doesn't work go for the c/t" yer prolly saying... I guess deep down I kinda know that only c/t's gonna work for me... but I'm worried about it being too hard on the ole system... I got a few stents in there even tho I'm not so old... and I've been on this junk more'n 20 years, tho only on highish doses these past 6 years or so...  just thinking about PAW makes me feel faint... switch our paradigm to overeating for a moment - so you'll cut down but still wanna enjoy life a little, no?  devil's advocate: who wants to live so long if you get no joie de vivre?!?! (I think that means "joy from life" or somesuch, it just popped by...)  aw well... I'm jest tar'd, definitely do not want to discourage anyone here - much prefer cheering all you fine folks on - because you are indeed the finest folks...                    Nefesh
Helpful - 0
Your method sounds a lot more "sane" to me than the shaving dealio...

A lot less room for margin of error... and thowing shavings away.

Breaking pills in half seems humane ... and much easier.

Gip
Helpful - 0
It took someone extra effort to copy/paste my post I made the other day from the bottom of the board and place it back at the top just to make fun of it.  

Oh well, I only posted it in hopes that it would help someone as it helped me.  

I'll still lurk from time to time - maybe not. At least I did make a very nice email buddy on here.  

You guys have a good one; and good luck with the opiate devil!

See Ya,

TB
Helpful - 0
I don't think anyone was making fun of it... it sounded really good to me for someone who had a ton of control.

And I know the person who found it to cut and pasted it was really trying to help someone.

I think VicAddict was trying to find it as well... she is actually going to use it.

If you know my story... I just could NOT survive a taper ... I don't have that kind of control, and for me C/T was the only way to go.

But trust me in this Bud... no one was making fun of any help you had to offer.  

Take Care
Gip
Helpful - 0
I know this plan isnt for everyone, but those that like it, and it works for them. by all means go for it.

Me personally, I would c/t. That is just me though, get it over with.

Good luck tweety, I wish you all the success!

Allen
Helpful - 0
Just wanted you to now your posts HELPED me very very much.
Thank you. I am still on my taper schedule and havent broken it.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.