Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Oxycontin withdrawal and sleep deprivation

I posted something before but have no idea where it went. So here I go again.I have taken myself of of Oxycontin. I was only on it for about three weeks For back  and leg paains Since I started the withdrawal I have been unable to get a decent few hours of sleep. Can anyone suggest a safe method of getting some shut-eye?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi there...welcome to the forum... you have posted on a really old thread... but if you just click back to forum and post question you can start your own thread.

You will get lots of support I have heard that fentanyl is hard to come off of... there are also health pages on the right side of the screen that will help you with the sleeping etc.

Anyway, if you will post a new current thread you will get ALOT more responses and so much support!

Again...welcome! JoAnn
Helpful - 0
I so completely empathize - I've been getting off Fentanyl and after 9 days, I haven't sleep (only two of the days did I get 3 hours well after the sun came back up!) - the restlessness is not there anymore, but the lack of sleep is killin' me! My wife has a supply of Elavil, which I read Graeme discuss...it works, but tends to have some undesirable side effects. My thoughts r w/ u thru this herculean effort - remember, strength and a good doctor will help!
Helpful - 0
anbien, klonapin, valium, zanax will all help you sleep.  If you tell your doctor that you are addicted he probably wont give you anything good.  Oxys are hell coming off, I commend you... Hang in there and stay strong,,, God bless
Helpful - 0
I tried to answer your question in my reply to you previous post but you must have missed it so I'll try again. You could try the natural remedy route which means going to your local health food store and looking for the following- Melatonin, 5HTP, Valerian Root or Kava Kava. In my experience these aren't too effective but some people swear by them. Your other alternative is to go to your doctor and ask him to prescribe a benzodiazapine drug such as Valium. Xanax, Clonazipam etc. These will not only help you sleep but also greatly reduce the stress and anxiousness that accompany withdrawls. The other class of drug that your doctor may prescribe are the Tricyclics such as Amitryptaline, Trazadone etc. which personally have helped me in similar circumstances. I really hope you find something that helps releave your symptoms as there is nothing worse than not sleeping. If you need any advice at all this is the place to post your questions as the place is packed with knowledgeable, supportive people who really do care. I will be thinking about you and would love it if you keep us informed. May god bless you. Graeme.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.