Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Not being given a choice;Being forced 2 detox with chronic pain

I am 22 and have been taking presciption narcotics and anti-inflammatory pills since I was about 5 due 2 having numerous amounts of surgeries on my body due 2 the tumors that are in my legs.

Now I am a chronic pain patient who has been with a pain management clinic for a few years now. I take 80mg of oxy 3 times a day as well as oxy ir's for break through pain and if it gets worse I goto the ER and they give me things 2 take with my meds or tell me 2 double up on break through medication.

The medication is for the massive nerve damage I've suffered over the years as well as the constant leg pain I have because the type of tumors I have make my bones like a rubber cement material and cause them to fracture quite often. I've got metal rods in my femur and tibia, along with screws at the top and bottom of each.

Now the drugs are something I have come to rely upon just to be able to move because of the immense amount of pain I have and they've tried everything from sympathetic nerve blocks, steriod injections, cortizone inject., accupunture, tensunits, joint loseners, and other altern. methods.

Now I've recently made a move where the weather is rather unstable and can change in an instant because it's on an island so what do you expect, but my father is demanding that I take myself off of the medications because he's tired of seeing me on them. I used 2 abuse them greatly, but now am taking them mostly as I should. He wants me to go through a 48 hour detox next week and then cold turkey soon after. I don't know what to do or where to start with deotox and am pretty scared.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I feel ya. The weather kills me, well it feels like it is gonna kill me. I too suffer from a chronic pain syndrome, hence my name..RSD.

I have been clean from pain meds now about 23 days give or take a day, since I quit counting =\
My friends and family have been welcoming me back to the family the last few days.

Went to a funeral, and all the stuff that goes with the funerals, real fun.....NOT! lol

Anyways, everyone I ran into was commenting on the old me as being back. You never know how the body might react once it gets used to not having pain meds. You might find that the pain is not as bad as you would think, because the pain meds will cause pain just to remind you to take some pills.

I will keep you posted on this, because that is what im going to find out. It is grrrrrreat gaving my mind back, as I didnt realize how dummy down my mind was. Maybe your dad knows??

Well take care, and try not to get tooo upset.

Allen
Helpful - 0
Sometimes after long term opiate use for pain, legit pain... we just have to get clean to take a step back ... just to re-evaluate the pain level.

Don't we scared of W/D....You will be sick for a few Days... once you are off your drugs... you may realize even if it is only for a little while, that a few advil might just help to alleviate all that pain.

You are young... living a life on pain killers is a long road... you always need more to feel better ..or something stronger, and can always managed to do less on more drugs and it's a never ending cycle.

Give yourself time to get clearheaded... and then you can evaluate along with your DAD exactly what you need to do to get into some pain management.

Hope it all works out for you

Gip
Helpful - 0
Hi and welcome! Your question offered great insight into your medical conditions and subsequent treatments as well as your father's 'take' on this. As you are an adult, I am just wondering how YOU feel about the prospect of getting off them. (Meaning, we are ALL scared of w/d for sure but do you, at this time, want to stop?) How can we support YOUR feelings and choices? Hugs!
Helpful - 0
In response to my beloved new friend Gip (grin), I agree. I don't wanna sound bossy but I guess my thoughts are this: it can't hurt to try, even if you want to go to an ER and a Detox.

(In fact, if you are quitting, given the extent of your use--NO JUDGMENT--I think it would be VERY wise--not just for discomfort but psysiologic responses!!)

Worse case scenario, you get clean, clear headed, reevaluate and proceed from there. One thing I do know is that while the drugs are still IN us we have no ability to accurately predict how we'll feel during w/d OR aftrewards based upon individual issues.

Bottom line: when I first got sober, I noted early on that, even if I spent the entire day craving alcohol and beingbitter about quitting, I could ALWAYS count of being grateful when I woke up--no matter what. That is, I knew I would NEVER wake up and think "Boy, I sure wish I had gotten sh*t faced last night so I felt like cr*p right now".

In respect to YOU: I can't imagine, no matter what you ultimately decide, that you will sit back (on drugs or not) and say "Damn, I sure wish I hadn't gone off the drugs so that I could think clearly. What a waste of time."
Helpful - 0
Does he know the extreme pain you are in? if he doesn't believe you then have him so to one of your appts with the pain drs. There is no way a person can live with the kind of pain you are describing.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.