Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Getting it together.

Well here I am into day five since stopping Oxycontin. Took two Imodium and dirrahea seems to have stopped. Sleeplessness is still a problem. Got about three hours today but am wide awake now. My wife, God bless her, has been with me all the way. When I was feeling somewhat paranoid and down, she sat me in front of a mirror and asked me who the mirror reflected. Of course I said "Me." She then said "Who is standing behind you. I said "You." She then gave me a little tap on the head and said" Just remember that I have your back at all times and I share everything you are going through, what hurts you, hurts me and i feel every bit of your pain. We are in this together and will finish it together." I was actually about to take a step backward at the time. Now, I have a new resolve. I will complete it because it is just as much for her, my children and grandchildren, some great grandchildren as it is for me. By the way I am eighty years of age. I started Oxy because of, either sciatica, a slipped or herniated disc, which is still being decided. My doctor is on vacation in florida and I won't get the results of the CT until Feb. 13. Just thought I'd pass along the fact that I am not alone in this and neither are you people. You may not see it but I will bet that there are a number of friends and family who share your pain and wish you only the best. They can't do it for you. That part is strictly up to you. So, don't let them or yourself down. If you have the resolve the drive, and the willpower you will make it. Good night and God bless.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
WHat aninspirationial post! And what a great attitude! I envy you and all your doing.

We are in this ALL of us together, you are right about that as well!

Thanks for sharing this tonight.

Many thoughts and prayers your way, blessings..and a Peaceful Calm Restfull night to ALL.

Tracy
Helpful - 0
That is a great story bro!!
Was about to turn in, and thought let me look at a couple of posts. You got the motivation now!

It is the same motivation I am using. I love all the grandkids, and want to be around for the great grandkids.

Try to have a good night bro.

Allen
Helpful - 0
Truly... not to repeat what others have said... you are truly an inspiration.

My mother is just a bit older than you are... and I had a hell of a time w/her this past year and the usage of Vicodin....man she turned into the Wicked Witch of the West... She finally had a spinal block... three of them actually and that seemed to help her a great deal.  Getting her off the painkillers almost killed me... she was miserable.. but she would never have understood the w/d process... her mind doesn't work that way... if her Dr. says take it she takes it no questions asked... but she was in bed for two weeks doing nothing but being miserable to everyone .... even the dog.. after he cut her off.

Myself... I'm 57 and had to fight the demon of prescribed Vicodin after using them for 5 years... it just took hold of my life.   I'm clean for 5 weeks now... things do get better.   The rough days are getting fewer, the good days are lasting longer.  Productivitiy is coming back.  

Hope you have a better day, and each day becomes successfully better.   If you get really caught up in pain 'til your Dr. gets back...remember that's why there are pain relievers.. however, I've found for me... that usually Three advil, will lessen the pain.   And they are anti-inflammatorys...just might work for you.

Everyone reading your story, should be humbled by your story.  If you recognize you had a problem and did something so positive... we can all gain from your experience.

God Bless
Gip

I just read your story ... your wife is an amazing woman...you prolly have been together forever.  Family support is all so important.. and it sounds as if you have a very loving support system around you.
Helpful - 0
Rock on.  I didn't know your story.  Thanks for sharing and hug your wife. It's soooo much easier when your spouse cares enought to walk with you.
Helpful - 0
Did you manage to see your doc to ask about any of the sleeping pills I mentioned to you in my earlier post. I really think they would help you, or has your sleep inproved? I've been thinking about you mate. I hope you're feeling OK. God bless. Graeme
Helpful - 0
Yes, bodybuilder 1, I saw the doc and decided that I would much rather have a anti-inflammation pill. My reasoning was that a sleeping pill could possibly throw me a step or two back considering that when on oxy I slept almost 16 hours a day and the sleeping pill could liven the outgoing oxy. I have had my first anti-inflammatory and will use two a day until the pain lessens or stops altogether. The anti-inflammatory pill can work in many ways and has some of the same properties as a sleeping pill, so why have a Ford when you can have a Cadillac.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.