Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Withdrawls from MS Contin, which I have taken since 2003.

If anyone truly wants to know about the withdrawls from MS Contin I will tell them.  My Dr. prescribed 135 MG a day of MS Contin for a back injury I received in 2003, plus I was in a car accident in 1974.  I must say it really helped at first, but now I take it to avoid the withdrawls. Over the last few months I have weaned myself down, and only take only 30 MG a day.  My Dr. opposes that I quit taking the stuff, she says I "need" to take it so I can participate in life activities.  I'm the type of person that has always been opposed to drug use.  I wouldn't even try any kind of drugs back in high school, because I was afraid of addiction.

The past 2 days I have stopped!  The jury is still out whether I'll be able to stop completly or not.  It's been a tough 2 days.

So if you want to know the truth about withdrawls, let me know, and I'll give you a detailed description.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I too was on MSContin 300mg per day wich I graduated to injecting. 300mg per day was my prescribed dose but I was actually taking about 1500mg per day. Withdrawls were absolute HELL but were not too protracted and the worst tended to be over in about a week or so. Take care and God Bless. Graeme.
Helpful - 0
Good for you Allen,

I must admit I slipped!  I was going through the withdrawls when my Brother came over for a couple of minutes and then said I gotta leave now.  So a couple of hours after I "popped" a couple of MS Contins, I was OK again.  I called him, and asked why he didn't stay longer, he said why should I, you didn't know who I was anyway.  Well I knew who he was, but I couldn't make conversation that made any sense.  In my first post, I think I said I had been off them for a couple of days.  I was planning on getting off them permantly, and I thought the withdrawls would be OK if I could last 3 days. "Wrong"!!  My Wife of almost 30 years didn't even talk to me.  I know I looked weird with the glassy eyes, the cold and flu symptoms, but I thought she would support me though this endever.  Guess not!!  I did this during the weekend when I hoped no one would come around.  I belong to a large family, so I'm sure my Brother told everyone how weird I was acting.  As I stated in my previous comment, I have went from 9 a day (135 MG- Dr's presription) to 2 30MG.  I am now going to try 1, and see if I can get through it.  Weaning down from 9 to 2 was a *****, but I did it non-the-less.  So I feel if I can get down to 1 for a couple of weeks, then maybe, just maybe I can kick this habit.  Not preaching, but I do believe the Lord has helped me with this, as I pray constantly for guiddance.  In my personal opinion, no one should use opiates for more than a couple of weeks, unless your planning on using them for a life time, or you'll have the same problem and Allen and I, and it isn't fun!  Yes my back aches without the full doseage, but I can handle it.  I'd much rather have my back ache, then to be dependant on pills.

Don
Helpful - 0
I too was a ms contin taker, along with 8 - 10 norco's. Took 150mg's of ms contin a day for about 2 1/2 years. Before that it was just norco's for about a year or so.

Today is day 24! Went cold turkey!!

I tell ya it was a real ride! At day 11 I came down with the flu, and it felt like I was back to day 2 all over again.I didnt start feelin good until about day 20. The flu really kicked my butt!!!

I still have a runny nose at times, and my back hurts all the time. The reason I took the pills in the first place is hurtin pretty good too. Darn RSD anyways! I would say where I have the RSD is hurtin at about 8 to 9 on the 1 - 10 pain scale.

The first 10 days of w/d's were theeeeeee worst for me, thought I was gonna die there. I am kinda wishin that my body will quit hurtin soon, but I have to admit it is sure fun having my brain back. Everyone is welcoming me back to the world, and I mean everyone. Even my wife cant believe the difference in the clarity of my thinking, and conversations.

One of my doctors that dropped my insurance still keeps up with me through emails. He also wants me to stay on the meds due to quality of life issues, but im also one that never really liked pills. I am going to wait a while, and see just how well my brain can fight pain before I give in to that line of thinking again.

Glad to see your wanting to come back to reality as well. We might be pleasantly surprised how much our brains can do with the pain. Ya never know, we might be in a lot less pain once the ole brain kicks in with new pain receptors, and endorphins.

Well anyways G/L with the w/d's, you can do it!!!

Allen
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.