Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

DETOX FROM TRAMADO

I have been taking slow release Tramadol 200 mg twice a day for 3 months. I have found it very effective for my chronic back pain but was worried about dependence. I stopped it at the weekend. For 24 hours I took 100 mg am and pm and since Sunday evening haven't taken any. I have had 36 hours of hell. My question is - how long before I start to feel better?
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for your post. Like you, I am not quite used to using the forum. Is your pain likely to resolve at some point even if it takes a long time? If so, are you just keen to get off it because you know it is addictive? Or could you wait until the point where you won't have to face your pain as well as the withdrawal? Hope you have had a good day. I think I am getting better but it comes and goes and it's hard to keep going. Pain at night has been bad and I am now sitting here dreading another night. Lots of luck and strength to us both!
Helpful - 0
I have been taking 12 tramadol almost every day for 4-5 months - 50-mg pills. With the advice I got on this forum I have decided to taper and start by cutting my dose in half, I may not feel good, but it must be a lot better than to stop all at once. But I have to wait for the weekend or sometime soon where I don't have so much work (translation for the EU), so I can stay in bed if I feel like it. But I just hope that I will be able to stand the pain from the infection (which is known to last many months once it becomes a bone infection) when I stop taking tramadol - over the counter painkillers don't help at all - and withstand temptation to take a pill - I too find that they are very effective, but I also like the relaxed feeling they give me (which isn't good at all) - you will probably fare much better since you don't like the feeling. I'm glad that you feel better, maybe the worst is behind you, and hopefully the doctor you are seeing wil know of some other pain medication which is not addicting in the same way, but will nevertheless help you. Good luck.  
Helpful - 0
I am from Europe too. I initially was prescribed Tramadol because of frequent tooth infections spreading to the jaw bone which was extremely painful - still is - but over time I needed more and more at the same time as it became increasingly difficult to tolerate being in so much pain month after month. I never worried about developing an addiction, but I have been lurking around this forum for a month now and know frem all the other descriptions that it will be hell to quit. I haven't written either until today, but like you it means so much to know that others are struggling with the same issues. I also want to get off these pills, but I will probably taper slowly instead efter reading the great advice I have received on this forum. But it is extremely difficult, as you well know, when you have to deal with the pain as well.

I have read enough on this forum to know that you will get better day by day, and if today is better than yesterday, you will be even better tomorrow. You have been very courageous that you have just quit cold turkey and I hope that the surgeon you have an appointment with will be able to help you further.

Good luck
Minnie  
Helpful - 0
Sorry that cut off sooner than I expected. This is the first time I have used a forum. I stopped all my treatment because I am seeing a surgeon next week and want him to be able to assess me properly. I cannot imagine the despair if he says no. As for how I feel exactly - it's hard to describe. Hot and cold, temperature all out of sorts, skin all irritable and uncomfortable no matter what I do, very very anxious over nothing (other than all this I have, in fact, a very lovely life), heart pounding in my chest like it will burst, unable to sit up because of sense that I will faint (this is a little better today and I can manage a short while). I have had diarrhoea quite badly but have kept eating sugary snacks as my weight is already low and I don't want to lose any. Just simply nightmareish. I crept through  yesterday in half hour portions with fantastic support from my partner. I could not have attempted to look after myself. Sitting in warm water has helped, lot of fluids and believing it must be going to get better. I am desperate to know how long I can expect it to last. Although today is definitely better than yesterday, I've been for a short walk with my partner, we live in the mountains in France and it is very beautiful. I have never experienced anything like it before, never used drugs, never been addicted to anything. I feel I should have been warned by my doctor. I will never ever take anything like this again, I would rather live with the pain. I took it always exactly as prescribed, never more. It doesn't seem fair. I am thinking of keeping it all to kill myself with if the surgeon says he can't help me. But I have such a lovely family and it would break their hearts. How long have you been on yours? And why? Same sort of reasons? Mail me back, it's good to know there is someone there.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your message. How long have you been taking your Tramadol? A long time? Are you on a slow release formulation or the short acting tablets? My decision was made partly because of the fact that I was on the slow release tablets and the smallest I had was 100 mg. Once I had done 24 hours on the half dose I decided I might as well go for it as prolong the agony. I am definitely feeling better this evening, so I guess perhaps I will look back and think it didn't go on for that long. The worst perhaps is over. I am sure that if you have some small size short acting tablets it would be better to do gently. What are you doing for pain control? At least I can look back on my weeks with Tramadol and remember how lovely it was to be pain free. Although I am mightily relieved to be getting my own body back and rid of the poison. When do you plan to start? Please keep in touch if you can. All the very best to you.
Helpful - 0
My back pain is here again in full force. I got very good relief with the tramadol although I never felt quite 'myself' when I was taking it. I was a bit fuzzy headed and forgetful and sometimes dizzy although this did get less over the weeks. I am not taking anything at the moment apart from occasional paracetamol. I am with the TENS machine and hot water bottles and very uncomfortable.
Helpful - 0
I have not yet tried to quit so I can't be of any help, but I would just like you to know that I take 600 mg of Tramadol every day and I am very afraid of what will happen when I stop. Can you please describe how you are feeling in detail? And what about the back pain?

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.