Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

i am addictied to pain killers, how do yiu just stop?

i am  addictied to pain killers. thats the first time i have ever said that.how can you just stop? is their a way with out going to a hospital???
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Did you take a prescription in the pharmacy that was fake and tried to have it filled?
Helpful - 0
does anyone here know what kind of jail time or fine i'm looking at for getting caught trying to fill a fake prescription for lorcet 10mg #120 pills?
Helpful - 0
hey just wanted to let you know u can do it!!! i was addicted to soma nad hydrocodone for almost a whole year well about 2 or 3 months ago i quit cold turkey it was hard it felt like hell on earth and i had the worst withdraws than ne one i ever knew but i got threw it i prayed and listen to worship music alot and just asked god to help me the first week and a half is really bad but you feel alot better by the 5th day i am now about 2 and a half months clean just remember'
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME!!
Helpful - 0
Ask your doctor about suboxone.
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
How long having been using what, at what levels? To what extent has the addiction taken control of your life?  Do you have a prior history of addiction or alcohol/substance abuse?

These are some of the things that factor into the equation.  With me, I spent about 7 months as a 24/7 crack smoker; which followed 5 years of being seriously addicted to hydrocodone (400 mg/day at the end); which followed 2 years of occassional, but increasingly frequent, use; which followed 9 years of complete abstinence; which followed the mess of 11 years of very alcoholic drinking.

I couldn't get and stay clean until I went to treatment (twice, actually).  Although going to Rehab was once a thing that I felt sure would DESTROY my lifeit turned out to be the best thing I've ever done.  It has not just given me my life back, it has given me a life that I never imagined was possible.

It's worth noting that if you are an addict, you suffer from a relentlessly progressive, fatal disease.  It deserves to be treated with caution and respect, otherwise it will kill you.  

Helpful - 0
You may think it's worse than it is but it does pass.If you think you got it BAD read my blog I just posted.I am new to this forum but can relate to what your going thru.It will pass but just because you may stop & get clean dosn't mean your problem is solved.You have admitted your an addic so you may want to start some spirituality in your life I will never push this but for me it's helped.I am also an alcolholic w/8 years clean.Talk w/me if you want to if sensear I will give you my phone #
            rockferdoxy
Helpful - 0
How do you stop?  If your not taking a stupid amount then you just stop.  Suffer the worst flu of your life for 4 days and then start the real fight with your emotions.  
Or
you taper down.  You go to the doctor tell him how much your taking and then if they've got any compassion they will taper you down to nothing.  

These are the 2 schools of thought here.  Someone used the example of taking duct tape off your skin slow (taper) or fast (cold turkey c/t).  So how much of what are you taking and for how long
Helpful - 0
good for u. i hope my day will come.  (crying)
Helpful - 0
Hi Everyone,
I am new here and I am not sure I am even in the right place on this forum, but for what it's worth here it goes.
My husband is so addictied to vicodin that it's ruining both our lives.  He was a addict many years ago for him it was cocain, crack you name it he did it.  I knew him back then and hated him I guess because he had so much going for him and he just threw it all away.  At that time, (about 20 years ago) I worked for his brother, and that was how I knew him.  Well here we are, about 20 years later, and in between he cleaned up his act, and was clean for the longest was 4 years.  Which is when I entered his life.  Drugs & drinking were never a issue for me, I grew up in a alcoholic home and swore against drinking and everything else.  When we got together he was clean as a whistle.  Then a set back, ok, I delt with it. Then another set back, I dealt with that too.  Then, you guessed it another set back.  This time I made him go to rehab, or I was leaving.  He went, and came out a new man.  But refused to go for outpatient help.  I should have seen it coming, within 6 months another set back.  I packed my bags and left.  We were apart for 2 years.  Then he called me crying, saying he wanted to go back to rehab, I went threw the motions and got him back in.  This time he came out and really tried.  Even went to meetings.  But then I noticed the pills.  He told me the doctor gave them to him for pain, he has athritis, (sp).  Ok, I believed it.  it's been a year now, and what started with 2 pills every 12 hours is now 3-5 pills every 2 or 3 hours.  He has been getting them on the street so all was well, and now he cant get them anymore, I made sure of that.  But my life is upside down now.  I dont know what to do, I never know what kind of mood he is going to be in.  We also own our own business, and he says he is in so much pain he needs the pills to work, but I really think it's getting out of hand.  Last weekend we went away, and he claimed he didnt feel good, he said his stomach hurt real bad, but he was acting like he was detoxing. He says he would rather be dead then to go bact to detox, I told him, he will eventually be dead and alone.  
Sorry first post was so long, I have been holding this in, I dont want the family to know, and till this point didnt know where to go... Any ideas ????
Helpful - 0
176889 tn?1234352582
sounds like a tough spot you're in... but people have been in worse and re-emerged into the sunlight...  seems as though you've faithfully tried everything, even leaving, for his own good - you've definitely gone that extra mile to try and save his/your lives together... do you have a close friend/counselor/doctor with whom you can share all this, open your heart??  This forum is an excellent support resource... welcome and good luck and blessings!!!                    Nefesh
Helpful - 0
with help from friends and family and through the grace of god!i am also addicted to pain killers and get great comfort and emotional support from this site.i wish you the best of luck!

lisa
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
You are in the right place.. the people here are in the same boat as you. Together we can do it. Today is your day to make the choice and do something different.

Stephanie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.