Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Food Cravings... ESPECIALLY ICE

I'm posting this up here.. because the thread is all the way down there.. hoping that it will be read sooner than later.

To experience "cravings" is simply your body asking for a nutrient the food of crave has in it...i.e. eggs.. could be you really need the protein.. I'm not so sure what else it could be in the eggs.   I'd have to look it up

Three weeks ago... I craved BARLEY.. I don't even like barley but I couldn't stop eating it... Here... Barley is a "calmative" and it's loaded w/protein...(Long story here, I'll spare you all the middle of the story)  go figure (those of you who know my story know about the anxiety I was having) I actually never even thought to post about craving BARLEY...thought you guys would think I was nutzo.

BUT about the ice crunching... It could mean anemia... take a daily Vit B-12 sublingal.. they are cheap...But cravings for ice is def. triggered by signs of early anemia... which is also normal for those going through W/D ... doesn't even have to be drugs....could be from anything....

Amino Acids, lethicin, b-complex, multi-vits, protein supplements all really do help with the W/D thing.  

Just wanted to stress to you all about the ice thing...

Gip
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The past 2 months I have been eating ice like crazy. It is a sign of iron deficincy anemia, and I have been anemic since I was in my teens (I'm 28 now) and I just recently started to retake my take iron supplements. But I wonder also, if because I drastically quit smoking the past 2 months as well, if I may be trading one addiction for another. It's really weird how this all came about, but I hope it's just a phase and will end soon.
Helpful - 0
I'm glad to have found this site and read some of the comments.  I am almost 60 and have eaten ice for as long as I can remember.  I'm not anemic, but I do have a family history of diabetes.  I crunch the most when I'm stressed.  The crunching drives my husband crazy and most other people as well.  But, perhaps I am not alone.  Yea!  for Sonic ice, it doesn't make as loud a crunch!

TC
Helpful - 0
667965 tn?1233229663
I am not going thru any withdrawls but I do have a very bad habit with ice crunching. Like someone else said, it's so bad I even get up in the middle of the night to get some. I knew it was cause by some deficiency but I couldn't remember what so I went searching and found this site. I do have the dry mouth, I get B-12 injections every 4 wks because I was borderline anemic for so long. I don't know if it's one of these things or something else, maybe the potassium someone mentioned. I guess I will start some vitamins and see if that helps. I feel I need to do something because I know it's not good for my teeth and I've been doing it for a long time. I haven't mentioned it to my dr because I'd feel like a dummy doing that. I think I'll try the vitamins first and see how it goes.
Helpful - 0
I'm worried about my teeth because of crunching ice. When I start crunching I know it's time to increase my iron. If I tell my Dr this he will roll his eyes. In 2005 my hemoglobin was 8 and I started taking 975mg of ferrous sulfate and 1500 mg of Vit C daily. Now I am on 325 and 500 respectively but increase it if I start craving ice. Before I started taking iron I would wake up in the middle of the night and eat glasses full of crushed ice. I can maintain low normal hemo but my ferritin, stored iron, always stays below normal. I am checked two to three times a year but the ice eating is my best indicator of my anemia. It's comforting to know that others share my conclusions. Thanks for sharing.
Judy
Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
I'm the one that actually made the original post about ice. I'm not anemic or diabetic. Every month I have blood work because my potassium goes so low.

I found out why I wanted to crunch ice all the time and it's not very exciting. I had dry mouth from the fentanyl patches, xanax, and amiltriptyline. I'm just happy I have an automatic ice maker. lol

Have a great day, my friends.
LS
Helpful - 0
I don't know if you've ever checked or have any family history but crunching ice and ice cravings can also be a sign of diabetes
Helpful - 0
Seems like some folks get over their w/d symptoms sooner than later.   Ppl who actually quit around the same time as me were seemingly doing a lot better, sooner than I was.

Usage is a factor, age is a factor, how and when we used is a factor, and the length of time we used is a factor, and of course what we decided to get rid of is a factor and the list goes on.

Please know and truly "get"... that it does and will get better, we are all different...

Feel better soon
Gip
Helpful - 0
I hear this one...Ice...thats a low iron thing as well...Im a anemic.....so yea....all of the cravings I have had have been for more potren..oh however you spell that damn word lol...

I have gone thru this stage before...the longer I stayed off the pills my cravings for iron...and sugar.....I was never a chocolater person until I quit these pills..

And I am still in the feeling **** boat...and I havent really been around just been in bed.....dont know whats up with h ow I am feeling..maybe I have a ligit lol cold...hahaha...this is new....
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.