Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
183285 tn?1213043746

HELP WITH SOME ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Hello to all. Just logged into this forum for the first time. Been reading for awhile with admiration, figured ya'll could help. Trying to come off pain medecine addiction. I race dirtbikes and crashed in september of 05- broke sternum, 8 ribs, tailbone, femur, hip, shoulder, both clavicles. WOW!!! The pain meds have been great. Can't get a script anymore, and all I have is tylenol 3 left. I was taking OC 20 mg for 2 years and Norco 10/325 as well as percocet 5/325. Lots of other things too depending on who had what and when. Please send me some feedback on what I need to do. I have scripts for ultracet and 100 tylenol 3's left. Should I cold turkey it, or taper with the 3's. Haven't had any vicodin, or OC in 3 days. No withdrawals, except my hands are real shaky. Just taking the tylenol 3 stuff. Talk to me. I want my race career back, and I just got accepted to vet school. I could never tell my family that I am still taking the pain pills. They thought I was off a year and half ago. I greatly appreciate it.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
WoW!!! That is loyality if after all that you still want to race!!! You go girl....you see that determination you have for the race, that's what you need to get off of these pills, their horrible!! And it sounds like they got or had you on alot !!!! I think cold turkey is the best way to go, cause if your still taking something, how is that quitting? I'd get to anxious and want more!! But everyone is different ya know! There are some here that succeeded with tapering, I just wasn't one of them1!!! You need to want to stay away from these things with every inch of strength, hope, will power, etc that's inside of you!!!! Just a few lines of advice, if your not that ill...why not to do it cold turkey? Stop yourself before you get ahead of yourself, and it's a wonderful thing that you realized you had a problem!!! Good Luck and we are here for ya!!!
Helpful - 0
WOW!!  You go girl!! Racing huh? That sounds fun!! Well all of our opinions are going to be different here, but ALL useful to you since we all are supportive in anyone wanting to quit. I am currently taking perc/vic's for severe low back pain associated with arthritis and possible MS. I want off too, but don't want the pain back!! I think what I am going to do (or at least TRY to do!) is taper to where I can stand the pain then try the Thomas Recipe- you can find a couple of versions around on these posts.. All people are different and some think 3 days of HELL are better than prolonging the inevitable. Cold turkey being the 3 day hell. Others find that tapering works best for them. You kinda need to figure out what will work for you. I would advise NOT using the ultram. That will be MUCH harder to get off then the tylenol 3's. But anyway you decide to do it, know we are ALL here for you anytime, anywhere!! Best of luck, check back often and keep us informed. This is quite possibly the BEST PLACE IN THE RECOVERING WORLD!!
Helpful - 0
And I only referred to c/t as HELL cause quite a few have called it that! Not to doubt their choices. So don't let that scare you!! It's all scary no matter which way you decide to go!! Reassuring, huh!! I know I'M SCARED AS HELL! But that which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!!
Helpful - 0
183285 tn?1213043746
Thankyou so much for the advice. I think cold turkey is the way to go. I just have really began to enjoy how social I become on the pills, when I am not taking them i am not sick or W/Ding that I know of, but I am secluded and don't like interaction with people and can't carry on the same kinds of in depth conversations as when I am high. I wonder if getting back on my work out schedule would do me good. I am so happy I found this place, because I could never tell anybody around me, even though it was a medically assisted addiction. I just feel so horrible about myself, because I went from winning tons of races and now I feel down and just want to feel good again. Thanks for the speedy response. I needed it. I will just come back here everyday and talk to ya'll. Its easier talking to people that truly understand. If you haven't been there, there is no way to tell exactly how I feel and what the drugs do for my mind. I used to tell my brother to just quit smoking meth, and now I see, even though they are totally different drugs, that it is not that easy.  THANKS!!!
Helpful - 0
Truly an admiring story!

I am on a taper myself...however it is only b/c I could simply NOT handle c/t.

My suggestion to you is this....if you have been off of them now for 3 days and are not suffering anything major..stick to that, and don't refill the other scripts! I truly mean this. It seems as if you were to have any unbearable w/d's surely by now you are over the major hump my friend.
I would stick to what you are doing hun, but that is just my suggestion.
Hope this helps and YOU GO GIRL!

Huggs
Tracy
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
>but I am secluded and don't like interaction with people >and can't carry on the same kinds of in depth >conversations as when I am high . . .

This is so common in addicts - it describes me and many others to a "T."  The reason I bring this up is because it's a part of your post that screams "ADDICT" at me as opposed to someone who simply became physically dependent on opiates after taking them too long.  In fact, you don't seem to be physically dependent on them yet - you said you could stop w/o going into withdrawal.  

Another part that points to addiction is your brother who won't stop smoking meth - the disease runs in families.

You somehow remind me of me just before I got into real TROUBLE with pain killers, which lasted about 5 years before I switched to crack and came so very, very close to a great many very bad things.  

So, what's my point?  I guess my point is that if you don't stop NOW, while you can with relative ease, you will either a)deeply regret it one day; or b) not regret it at all, but only because you are dead.

But stopping is the easy part - even when it becomes almost impossible to stop, stopping is the easy part.  It's staying stopped that's hard.  To stay stopped, you need to develop a Recovery Program.  Mine involves 1) Being actively involved in a 12 Step Program (AA for me); 2) Continuing Therapy with a counsler; 3) Physical Exercise; 4) Amino Acid supps; and 5) Staying the FU AWAY from all PEOPLE, PLACES and THINGS that are associated with or otherwise related to my using.

Well, I'm late for dinner - got to get home.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.