Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

So far so good!

Took a chance and went to pay some bills and do some shopping. Figured the pains in my legs would send me home before I finished. Did it all. After I got home, the pains started and as I sat and rested they slowly weakened and I am about the same as before I went. To me it was worth a little pain to be able to act normally and to get out of the apartment again. Right now I am feeling more like a man. I even flirted with a pharmacist while I was asking questions in regards to Tiaprofenic and drug interactions such as Advil, sleeping potions etc. Not bad for an eighty year old. Anyway I am beginning to think that one of the biggest mistakes we make is not giving ourselves enough credit to maintain everyday functions. Just because we have a problem we shouldn't let it force us to go and hide. I think that mingling with others in public places should not become paranoic.

4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello Mannie, pleased to here your doing better. I was just wondering if you felt any resentment towards your doctor for prescribing you the oxycontin in the first place. All my problems started after I was irresponsibly prescribed huge doses of oxy and morphine for a knee injury. I have since been told by another doctor that this was not only unnecessary but also very irresponsible of my doctor to do this. However no-one held a gun to my head and forced me to use them (and abuse them). Just wondered what your thoughts were on this. God bless, Graeme
Helpful - 0
I don't think I will ever lose my sense of humour. As for being a "Flirt" or a "Dirty old man" I am of an age where I can get away with a little more than usual. When you are my age, people tend to overlook what they consider to be the nonsensical whims of an old man who is on the verge of senility. Due to that fact I have a penchant for making use of it. If I whistle at a young miss people just shake their heads, give a little "Tsk, tsk" and then mumble something like "Silly old man." When my wife on rare occasions says, usually with a humorous twinkle in her eye. " Mannie are you forgetting your age?" I usually reply. "I may be old honey but I am not dead." People tend to think that once you reach retirement age, stop and slow down signs begin to appear and it is time to sit back and slowly fade into the sunset. Not me, not by far. I will live it up right until the end and then when it's time I will go kicking and scratching all the way. "I give up" is not in my vocabulary and it should also not be in yours.
Helpful - 0
Are you admitting to us ALL that you flirted???

I agree with Thursday.... you stinker...!   :)

And why on earth should there be a reason to HIDE... did you think that you did that to yourself on purpose??

You are a good solid source to have around here... I hope you stay for a bit and continue to spread your success and some of that humor of yours.

Gip
Helpful - 0
Man are you right about that.  I don't know when I became afraid to be myself in front of others.  But now I'm to the point where what other people think of meis not my business.
Good for you.  Dirty old man :-)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.