Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pharmaceutical Companies.

I was just watching an ad by a pharmaceutical company promoting one of their drugs when it suddenly occurred to me that these companies spend millions of dollars promoting their products. They talk about side effects but make no reference to the consequences that come with prolonged use. While on that thought it also occurred to me that they are in reality promoting substance abuse without actully saying so. Addiction to legal drugs is a huge money maker so why care if someone becomes addicted. It is too bad there is no way to make them tell the full story when advertising. Unfortunately the lobbyists are able to keep the lid on it. Perhaps someone can come up with a method of forcing the drug companies to tell the "Whole truth and nothing but the truth." Side effects are also a money maker because in most cases you need a pill to fight the effects of the other pill and a pill to fight that one and on and on. Withdrawal drugs are as big a money maker as any because almost everyone needs them to get free. It's an endless fight that the big companies don't seem to want you to win. As long as you are "Hooked" thay are making dollars. Do you agree?
14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If a doctor was told a person had a drug abuse problem would they have to address the problem ? or would they continue to rx that person,I know my wife has many doctors fooled ,I had thought about contacting them to interupt her supply,I feel many doctors know people are abusing but continue to rx just so they make the $$$$ of the office visits
Helpful - 0
I agree with both of your statements, those drug companies make billions every year creating the very evil that we are fighting against.. And blitz, I understand what you are saying about interupting your wifes supply by contacting the doctor, but I will tell you that me and my husband have the same pcp doc and he told our doctor that I was abusing my medications in hopes that he would stop prescribing them to me, and that back fired because all my doctor did was make me sign an agreement not to get narcotics from any other healthcare provider which has no legal ramifications if I did, and all it did was create more problems between me and my husband because when I found out he did that I exploded and we fought for a long time about that mistrust he created.. I see now why he did that at the time but when I was on drugs that was just the type of thing to set me off..
Helpful - 0
My wife moved out of our house this week because of the addiction,at this point I dont think I can get her any more angry with me,my main concern is to get her off the meds,she has no real reason to be on them,my hope is if I can get her off maybe she will get a clear mind and make some better choices,I worry about her she has increased her consumption and does not think she has a problem,she is on a down hill spiral that is sure to get worse,just looking for ways to help her is all !
Helpful - 0
what do you think of your husband now ,do you think he did the correct thing to try to help you,do you resent him for that ?
            Thanks  Tim
Helpful - 0
It is so weird how our stories intertwine--- You want to help your wife so bad but she won't let you------ All I wanted was my husbands help and he wouldn't give it---Maybe we should trade (LOL)  :-)
Helpful - 0

the docs. get kick backs from the pharm. co. In my case I knew what would happen but Dr. had planed to keep on it forever when you hit 1200mg. a day oxy and 5 100mc. patch every 2 days all 5 on at the same time. where do you go from there.
Helpful - 0
Ya wish it was that easy,it's a very hard thing to do,watch a person you love go down the tubes,I have given up on our relationship but just want her to be ok,looking from the outside in is a lot easier than trying to look out from a cloudy window,I have done many pain meds and know how easy it is to get in trouble.
Helpful - 0
As far as how do I feel now?? That is in fact a hard question to answer....  I will say No I don't have any resentment about the situation I am smart enough to see that he did that out of love.. He was worried enough to have an outside party involved, but then again now that I am sober he could care less so I am confused mostly I guess.. He claims he did that to save my life but now I am not even aloud to speak of my addiction it is like taboo in my house because you know if we don't talk about it then it doesn't really exsist.. Sometimes I think he did it just to be a ***** and to make my life miserable...But what do I know I am just an addict ???
Helpful - 0
I am sorry to hear that there is animosity between you. That, by the way, is not a solution. Substance abuse has destroyed many relationships and the participants have found themselves wondering what happened. There is strength in companionship and to throw it away because someone is worried about it and is "Interferring" is no excuse. You have to sit down together and talk until you are exhausted and then talk some more. I have been married for 47 years. During that time my wife and I have had many ups and downs. There were times when it looked like we wanted to kill each other. Fortunately we gave ourselves time to cool off and then sat down and talked. It was not always a complete success, but due to our respect and love for each other, we managed to weather each and every storm. Do yourselves a favour, you did not get married because you hated each other. There had to be a lot of love there. Why are you letting it get lost? Think back to that time and use the love you had then to heal the wounds that have just been opened. You have to learn to lean on each other at the worstof times and the best of times. My hope is that this will work itself out and you will get back to having what you intended your marriage to be at the start.
Helpful - 0
Thanks... You make it sound so nice, and I know what you are saying but I am pretty sure my husbands decision to get married was a control issue and unfortunatly there is no reasoning with him it is pretty much his way or no way and I either get on for the ride or pay dearly to fall off!!!
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the advise,I have tryed many times to sit down and talk with my wife,she will not even talk to me about addiction (sound familure skyfox)I have pointed out things from the past the way it used to be,she blames it on people change with age,her children have made comments about the way she used to be,they call me MOD (mother of dads)she just doesnt get it,the pills have changed her to a complete other person,if she would just get clean for a while I think I could make some sense to her,but talking to a numb soul just doesnt get through.I have taken the attitude that I have to let her hit bottom,then maybe I can help her.I must go on for my own sanity it is making me nuts worring about her,one of us has to stay healthy.
                   Thanks  Tim
Helpful - 0
There is not much more anyone can say when you put it like that. My problem is that I am, as my wife often puts it, "An old softy." I have an affinity with others and can actually feel their pain. It is because of this that I sometimes act like Dr Phil, although I don't have a TV show or get paid. It is every day common sense. How you apply it is what counts. I try to feel what others are feeling and once I get a grip on it I tend to stick my big nose into it as I did previously. The only winners in situations like this are the lawyers and pharmaceutical companies. To them it is all about money and they couldn't care less as long as the money continues to flow.
Anyway, good luck kiddo,I hope it all works out the way you want it to.
Helpful - 0
I did not think you were sticking your nose in! I welcome all thoughts on my problem,I have learned in life you can only learn if you listen,your input was very much welcomed by me,you have lived much more life than me and I know I can only learn from you
                 Thanks
                    Tim
Helpful - 0
Thanks again... And as far as you sticking your nose in please continue to do so I appreciate all advice I recieve you could never have known my personal situation prior to this chat, so no harm done... And I agree with you about the drug companies..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.