Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

started tapering, help?

I could really use some help.
I started tapering off tramadol yesterday (I have been taking 12 tramadol a day for 5 months). Living in Europe I can't get a lot of the things recommended on the Thomas Recipe, so I am too scared of W/D to try C/T. It went remarkably well to taper from 12 to 6 yesterday with the added help of sleeping pills, I didn't feel too bad. I also have some benzodiazepines to tide me over during the first couple of days, when I shave off more of the tramadols, but where do I go from here? I plan on taking 6 tramadols for another couple of days, but then what? I don't know how fast or slow I should go. And is it true that even when you have tapered down to one pill and eventually stop altogether, you will experience W/D even though you taper slowly? I am really afraid of W/D (chicken that I am).

Any advice will be highly appreciated? And thanks EVERYBODY for the good, kind and insightful advice and support on this forum. So glad I found it.
Minnie
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I know very little about Tramadol.   And I have not participated in your post recently for that reason.  I know that they are addicting and in the opiate class of drugs.   I was Rx'd them once... they did absolutely nothing for me.  But we are all different.

Whether you decide to taper (you meaning anyone) or go C/T ... it all comes down to taking that last pill...

Many things I have read which include Taper suggestions, say to reduce 20% every third day.   You probably can stay at your current level for a day or so, and just eliminate one pill every 3 days until you are finished.

I've heard that some allot themselves a certain # of pills each day and place that # of pills on a calendar and ear mark a certain day as D-day.   To me.. this sounds worse than chinese torture methods... I did C/T took me a good three weeks to feel somewhat normal...but the first four (4) days was like having a stomach flu and then the physical symptoms get a lot better.    

Exactly what are you scared of?

Sleeping and anxiety seems to hit everyone in the beginning, I still have some trouble w/sleep although last night I did go to bed w/o the aid of anything and slept all night.  My point being, it does get better.

Cold Turkey or Slow taper .....???  It's just a matter of personal choice.   There is no easy way around this.. you have to walk smack through it to get to the other side.

Take Care of You.. and don't be so scared... you will eventually starte to feel better and wonder why you were so scared.

Gip
Helpful - 0
Is a doctor involved? If not go with what feels good. I live in west cost ca. usa,plenty off herbs here you may
try buying off Internet?
Always concerned about everyone here. My steel hardware is starting to ache will be back soon!!!
Helpful - 0
Thanks very much for the advice, gipsee and Rockferdoxy. I know it's stupid to be afraid of a little discomfort, but some of the experiences I have read on this forum indicates that the W/D can be pure hell and I would just like to do everything to avoid it (I guess I'm downright chicken). Like so many of you I have children, work etc., so I will prefer the more slow tapering I think so I can keep going. Of course it is encouraging to be able to start the tapering by going from 12 to six without too much trouble, but there might be discomfort later - in addition to the pain from the infection spreading to the jawbone that I am also fighting - but I have to stop. I will go from 6 to 5 to 4 etc., as you suggested.

The next problem which is probably just as huge is not starting to take addicting painkillers again. How du you manage that (I can see that most people on this forum really need pain medication for different reasons)?

I just hope I will be strong enough to never start using tramadol for pain management again.

Thanks again and good luck to all trying to get off Vicodin/tramadol etc., and staying off them.
Minnie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.