Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Getting Off The Methadone

Good morning everyone. I saw my new GP last night and I'm quite positive about it. He really is a great guy. He's the sort of Doc who would bend over backwards to help you. He gives the impression that he really cares and wants to help. He is a real gentleman and I feel lucky to have him help me. Anyway, he agreed to let me pick up my meth on Mon, Wed and Fri rather than every day as I work full time and sometimes have to go out of town so daily collection is a real pain. I told him I wanted to reduce my dose but since in the past I have used 10mg per fortnight drops and failed he suggested 2mg drops. Also he wanted me to stabailse on 110mg fo about a month first (I have recently dropped from 120 to 110). This is ok by me as I have planned my own taper which is slightly faster than this one, hence the need for the strong box to store any excess. I had a very productive discussion with CATUF earlier about my plans for reduction and he turned out to be a true gentleman and a real help to me for which I truly thank him. Hey CATUF (and anybody else) I would REALLY appreciate some more input about how I am going to do this. Last night my doc also gave me 14 500mcg clonazipam tabs to help with the accute anxiety I have been having (he wouldn't give me more in case I got addicted) and I took some last night and had the best night sleep I have had in years.
God bless all,
Graeme
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Glad to hear you've got a good doc.  I really appreciate CATUF.  He always has something great to say.  The post about letting go is a book I'm going to get.  Thanks to him my bookshelves are getting full.  
Thanks for all your effort in getting off the meds.  It's your personal struggle but by posting, I think, it helps the rest of us stay strong and humble.  
Completely off subject there is a children's author graeme base.  I've never heard that name except by him.  I like it and his artwork is stunning.  If and when you have children his books are great.  
Lurking, ThursdayNext
Helpful - 0
Thursdaynext - just out of interest, Graeme is a Scottish name. It is also sometimes spelt 'Graham' but this spelling is supposed to be only used as a surname (also Scottish) however many people with this name spell their chrixtian name 'Graham' rather than the correct spelling which is 'Graeme'. Just some irrelevant info for you to help me pass the time during my boring job! (but don't tell my boss - ha ha!).

God bless all and have a good weekend.

Graeme (not Graham)
Helpful - 0
bodybuider1,

I too am struggling with the diabolic methadone. I dosed down from 180 mg / day to 10 mg per day and now am cold turkey, day 6....

I dosed down 10 mg every 7 days. I started walking everyday 30-40 minutes and ate well along with multi-vitamin. Also got into chi gung breathing techniques and stretching exercises. I had no trouble getting down to 60mg and not too bad until I hit 15mg..

Decided after many years of use, chronic back pain from 2 car accidents, that it
Helpful - 0
Hi Tom,
Have you considered asking your doc about switching to subutex? It is recommended for those coming off methadone completely as it makes that final part much easier. Usually when you get below 30mg you stop the methadone and start the subutex. Once stable on that you gradually taper of it and it makes the transition to becoming totally drug free far easier than just trying to taper the methadone down to zero on its own. For whatever reason, many people are able to taper down to a low meth dose but can't make that final jump to being drug free. The switch to subutex make it far easier to get off altogether. Look into it and tell me what you think. God bless, Graeme.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the suggestion. I did research all the alternative approaches.

I like the benzo approach through the first 4 days of methadone withdrawal.  After day 4 cut back to zero on benzos and start the healing with amino acids, vitamins, food, exercise, etc..

I found that the benzos worked well to keep the major wd symptoms down.  

I don't have an urge to grab any methadone or benzo, but can't rid the fuzzy head and have a deep cough, probably masked by the methadone.

I did 20 mins on an elliptical and staying solid on the food regimen and Jacuzzi tub every night..

I did the same thing as you bodybuilder in regards to dosing down on my own and kept a stash. I had good luck coming down 10 mg per 7days until I reached 10 mg and went cold turkey.

I
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.