Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Moving the bottles

Taking them upstairs and putting them into a drawer.  Even though I stopped Norco 4 days ago (still on the Oxy), I can't bring myself to tossing the stuff.  I must have close to 300 pills in this house of that stuff.  The Dr. would write a script for breakthrough pain every month with the oxy script, but I never used them, I would pick them up with my script and put the bottle away 60 pills each month for the last year.  So with the oxy in which I am trying to taper off of.  I figure if I move it upstairs and in the drawer too, then every dose means I have to get up for it, make me think twice about a boost dose.  Right.  Right now it just sits on the side table next to the couch just inches from me.  Been there for years.  Imagine the room without seeing that yellow bottle :)
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
you could go to7.5 or 5 mg Hydros instead of the 10 mg not sure of the tylenol in your hydros probably 500 mg. I can suposedly take up to 8 10/500 per day and not exceed the 40000 mg tylenol maxi,um. Personally I have taken more. percs are stronger mg for mg than hydro so not sure what doctor was talking about. Oxy is also another form of perco except it is in time release and doesn't have the tylenol. Hang with your taper but I'd try to taper with hydros and as little tylenol as possible. Hopes this helpes. good luck.
Helpful - 0
I dont know what strength oxycontin you are on but it is oxycodoneE.R which means extended release. The norco goes up to 10/325 or something like that and its not extended release so basically just taking one that is a tad stronger just stays in your system longer and releases a set amount of it thru the day and one that isnt extended release. Theres not a whole lot of difference in it that I can find in my pdr. oxycodone is stronger than hydrocodone but if your taking oxy10 then norco10 is close to the same just not extended. Does that make sense?
It did to me but I am on day 2 so...there ya  go..lol!
Helpful - 0
The book answer is no more than 4000mg of tylenol.  Norco has 325mg per pill.  I've been taking quite a bit more for a year now and no liver damage.  I'm not recommending that by any means but I'm thinking that excessive tylenol versus excessive Oxy .... well you might want to see which one is more damaging.

I was married to a physician.  A drug addicted physician.  That was a lethal combination.  But I know a lot about pharmacology unfortunately.

I wish you the best of luck.
Helpful - 0
Good question and I have thought this.  But how much Norco can one safely take in a day.  I will admit and this is going to be a HUGE step, I am scared to move to a less boosting med.  I know what is right and I know my goal and that is to be pill free.  But I am scared of the withdrawls from moving to Norco from Oxy.  I am gonna do it, I am gonna talk to my Dr. at my next appt. about moving to the Norco from Oxy.  I just don't want to admit to him that my body has built a need for this awful pill.  Though I suspect he probably knows that since he prescribes it.  So the question is, how many Norcos can one take in a day and how many oxy's can be tossed in there with them.  Since Norco was a breakthrough med, it isn't the primary.  I guess I have a lot of fears switching to the Norco.
Helpful - 0
I am down to 10mg oxy (there is no where lower to go with oxy unless I move to percs, I think that is what the Dr. said).  

I am absolutly TERRIFIED of organ damage.  I knew I could safely take a few thousand milligrams of tylenol, but what about the codiene?  They say wtih 7/7.5 vic no more than 4 or 5 in a day,  My mind says "there are stronger than that therefore no more than 3-4 in a day"  AAcckkkkk I want this taper to be painless and I am so scated of the switch.  

Obviously I want to cover this with my Dr. but say I started to make the switch tomorrow.  I am currently only 4 10mg oxy's a day.  What would be a safe switching dose, mixing the oxy and norco up in the day.  Say I start the AM with a Norco can I safely take 2 norco?  How long before another Norco dose?  At what point in the day would I put the oxy in there?  I know the Dr.'s answer, 6-8 hours apart.  Now in reality we know that isn't possible without w/ds  uuggghhh this is more thought than my brain can take :)
Helpful - 0
I would speak with my doctor about it cuz with oxy you have a steady stream of in your blood for 12 hours..so you mix norco with that and it could be a plan for diaster. I read that oxy is supposed to be taken every 12 hours. It what I read. I wouldnt even chance giving advice on what to do about adding more meds. You could always buy some milk thistle at the health food store and some acidouphoulous pearls. They are supposed to be a great way to help you liver stay healthy. I take the pearls and milk thistle everyday.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
this is just a question.. wouldn't it be easier to taper with the norcos since you can break em to a smaller scale? i don't know your pain situation so i don't want to assume. i just thought i would ask.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.