Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Herion abuse...

I was wondering if anyone knew whether prolonged herion abuse could cause seizures.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
ok so ive been doing heroin for about 2-3 months now almost a gram every 2days, and i have had seizures in the past actually a long history of them from my addiction on again off agian with xanax. recently i have felt in the middle of the night the euphoria that you get right before you have a seizure.that was always an indicator that i was going to have one. but luckly i didnt have a siezure yet. my question is i have 2 8mg suboxone sublingual strips left and i plan to get off this ****. so my first question is will the amount of suboxone i have be enough to get me through the with drawls, i plan to take 7mg the first day, 6mg the second, and 4-5mg on the third. will this be sufficant for the worst part of the wd's. i can deal with the muscle cramps on the remaining days with ibuprofen.
my second question is , now that im quiting all of this heroin use will all the seizure feelings go away or do i have to worry about having a siezure while withdrawing off of it. my experience has shown me that wding off of xanax i would always have a seizure on the 3rd or 4th day whin i would quite cold turkey, now is this situation going to be similar while quiting heroin? i mean im not really quiting cold turkey because of the suboxone? please help any input from anyone will be a huge help......
Helpful - 0
Mos def a person can get seizures from prolonged heroin use. If you stop a drug like that cold turkey you are in for a world of hurt. I have never used it but have worked in a detox clinic where people have been hooked on it for years. Its better if you are under a doctors care if you are trying to quit..but if you wondering if just using it a long time can cause a seizure .. the more you use the more tolerance you build up. So not only could you have a brain seizure but you could die.
I would seek professional help..the people on here are wonderful and I am sure they would agree. Heroin scares me.
Helpful - 0
Heroin is actually metabolized as hydromorphone which is the same as vicodin, percocet, oxy, etc... But MUCH stronger!! Basically if you read all the warnings and side effects of pain meds, you are almost 5 times more likely to experience them with heroin. Heroin is not a drug to mess around with!! I have watched many of my friends suffer HORRIBLE w/d's from it. I lucked out (not sure how) but I didn't get it bad. Probably because I had pain pills to cover up the signs. Suboxone is the safest and least addicting treatment available. ( If I remember correctly, someone correct me if I'm wrong)I would not suggest methadone for detox if you can avoid it. Methadone is a whole new addiction, and in my experience, the fact that suboxone does not get you high makes it easier to quit it. Only problem you may find is that suboxone is very pricey compared to methadone. However, no where NEAR as expensive as heroin!!
Helpful - 0
If you are quitting then yes you may experience seizures.  
Helpful - 0
182775 tn?1209736027
Tracey...

If you or someone you know is experiencing seizures, it is best to see a physician immediately.  And, DO NOT let that person drive a car until they see a physician.

My daughter has epilepsy so I am somewhat familiar with seizures and the problems that go with them.

Only a physician can determine if your/their seizures are due to the heroin or to another cause.  It is entirely possible to have seizures from other causes unrelated to taking heroin.

Best of luck...

~George~
Day 17

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.