Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Careful.

You cannot force anyone who is on addictive drugs of any sort to do what you want. You can suggest it, but it is entirely up to that person whether or not they want help. If you push it too far you may make an enemy out of a loved one or friend. Look for signs that they want or need help. In most cases those who want or need help will, in various ways, let you know. How do I know this? Grandaughter (meth) who denied she needed help. Almost pushed her away completely. Luckily, or unluckily, as the case may be,my doctor put me on oxy and I had a first hand experience of what she was going through. She has begun backing away from her habit and is slowly reaching out. When I am sure she is ready I will guide her to this forum.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello Mangee, may I ask how old your granddaughter is?
Helpful - 0
She is 23.
Helpful - 0
My mistake. She is 24. Has a son who is 6.
Helpful - 0
Your right about not forcing and a 24 year old will fight you to the death.
If raising a 6 yr old son isn't enough motivation I'm not sure other than a scrape with the law will she listen to anyone.
Helpful - 0
Your advice is good.  I haven't tried forcing my boyfriend (he's also 24), but I did try suggesting.  That didn't work.  Like you say though...when you know the time is right then you can help (or bring them to this forum).  
Kids are a great motivation too.  I've been thinking of lending mine (7 and 9) to him for a week or so...although then he would probably just want stronger drugs...
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.