Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Just need some good, honest answers

We are married, and have been for 4 years...at the same time have been addicted to lortabs for 5 years. We just tried to quit today and didnt make it through.  If I could live in the shower for a few days, I would be fine, as to thats the only relief I could find. But seeing as we have two little ones, that is not possible.  Without telling people and having each other to rely on, does anyone have any good advice or strategies?  If we could just get through the pain, we would be fine...but as we all know the pain is a little unbearable.  The mental part of it would be a breeze for us because we have things to live for (i.e. our kids).  Just drop a few lines if you get a chance.  Thank you!!
17 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
198154 tn?1337787265
this is VERY old thread.  You'll get better results if you start a new one.
Helpful - 0
Forgot to mention, ive been on Vicodin for 8 years, so the 1st prescription came from dentist, then shoulder surgery, then disk in back-sciatica,sacrolosis, degenerative disk, ostioorthoritis, arthitis-etc. So we have all been kinda Physician Depended Addicted.
As a Med Tech. I despenced Meds. to elderly people/LPN/ CNA/PSA/ and could see how they were addicted, they knew when they were to get their pain meds/nerve pill's, so the older you get the worser it is.

Helpful - 0
I and my husband take Lortab 10/500-what we get-you know what i mean. We both get presc. but we are about a couple weeks apart on when we fill them, we both have pain issue's. We share each other's bottle's , so if we take too many we run out and have to make phone calls. And as one person said pay for their bill's. I have asked my medical doctor about Suboxodone, but i go to a psychiatrist and therapist, i am afaid to say anything to them right now, imafraid they will tell my doctor and i will get cut off. SO IVE  been reading and watching Celebrity Rehab/Amber./ I really need to see how this works and how long it takes before i commit to stopping. I know my liver is being eatin up by the acetaminaphin in it, but as we all know , we don't care -we just keep on taking them. I have had alot of stomach trouble and i don't drink enough water, i just had to switch back to diazepam from klonapin, because my throat they say may have damage from just chewing up pill's and sometimes just letting them melt in my mouth, the effect works and last longer especially when you do a cocktail-valium-lortab. Just wanted people to know pill's can do damage to your esophagus too. Not trying to be a dr. but i was a nurse, i knew the consaquinces of Vicodin, but taking 4-5 a day or more, you don't think about it.
Helpful - 0
340590 tn?1290952141
HI YA'LL THIS IS A VERY OLD POST..IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION REPOST IT ON THE FORUM AND YOU WILL GET LOTS OF ANSWERS
CATHY
Helpful - 0
416625 tn?1203288998
I wanted to add that I agree with mimi.....if you don't go the suboxone route then detox one at a time. You need to have one of you physically able enough to take care of the kids.  You really do.

Oh I have two small children and they are my inspiration.......I am 8 days clean of vicodin and norco and I did it cold turkey....it isn't easy but worth it.  You WILL need help with the kids though...remember that (while detoxing)

GOODLUCK!
Helpful - 0
402205 tn?1230481005
I can't help with the suboxone question, I've heard good and bad. But I would definitely only have 1 person detox at at time. That way the other one can take care of the one detoxing.
Helpful - 0
Myself and husband have been addicted to pain pills for 6 years, you would never know by looking at us. I am a manager of a company my husband is a student, we have to girls. we dont know what to do we are both on methedone, I am at 30 mil grams a day and he is at 18. We have tryed to stop, but it is horrible. We are looking at this suboxodone, how does it work and what is the cost?
Helpful - 0
congrats on your c&s  for 21 months!!!  I look forward to being able to say that...and thanks for all of your info...we will defintely look into all of that...
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
1.  Look up the Thomas Recipe ("TR") on the Archives ofthis site or on Google.

2.  Use the TR (without the valium or benzos) as you work a pre-defined and well controlled taper to get yourselves down to nothing over the course of 2, 3 or 4 weeks.

3.  Get the books: "End Your Addiction Now," by Charlest Gant; "The Mood Cure," by Julia Ross; and/or "Staying Clean & Sober," by Merlene and David Miller.  Also get the NA "Basic Text" and/or AA's "Big Book."

4.  Start going to AA and/or NA meetings - A LOT of meetings.  Best success seems to come to those who start out with "90 meetings in 90 days," and then continue regular and frequent meetings thereafter.  You don't have to have already stopped to go to meetings, "the only requirement for membership is a desire to quit."

Just so you know what/who I am, I had a 5 year+ hydro-habit that progressed to an almost fatal crack addiction.  I did use a fair amount of meth there for a while, but it was never really my thing.  I wasn't able to get and stay clean until I hit a long term residential rehab.  I'm now coming up on 21 months of being 100% C&S

Good luck
Helpful - 0
i cant believe how knowledgable you guys are...thanks for the infor on the suboxone...will check into that...yeah we spend about 1000 a week i guess...who knows, bc i sure as heck dont keep count...how do we afford it? dunno...my hubby sure doesnt make that...as i said before i am so happy to have found you guys...talk to you tomorrow...
Helpful - 0
Don't forget to bookmark us or put us in the favorites cause we want you back.
Also the cost of your illegally gotten pills is probably way more that the Dr and scripts for Subutex/Subuxone. I also was once a HUGE meth head. "2 eightballs a day" I cooked for myself and a lot of others. Cops made me quit that. Funny how they sometimes do that. I was clean for 5 years before I started abusing the pain killers. Anyway, I also took the pain pills for the speedy effect, about 15-20 a day. I needed a lot of energy. They finally guit giving me energy and started bringing me down and making me irritable.
After weaning off them with Subutex I feel a lot better now, and I have my energy back. I just made sure to eat a lot and take vitamines. Now I'm on 1 Subuxone a day just to make sure I don't go back to the painkillers. Subuxone has an opiate antagonist in it that will give you terrible withdrawl symptoms if you use pain pills while on them. After a month I will get off the subuxone also.
Good Luck  
Helpful - 0
well you are off to the right start, you came here, admit you ahve a problem and the want to do something. i know better than anyone the money it costs, the guilt you feel (being a mommy) and how easy this addiction took over your life, but how hard it is to let go of. w/d are hard, but when you cant hide from responsibilty for week how are you going to handle w/d, right? i personally wont go on suboxodone. i remember 5 yrs ago when methadone was what dr's were doing for pill addicts and look how that turned out? but it has worked wonders for so many people. tapering is virtually inpossible if your holdong the bottle (to easy to just an xtra here and there) i know i dont have that kind of will power. check into the suboxodone, it might be the right thing for your situation, from what i hear you feel better within the 1st hour, i do know you ahve to be in active w/d to start it. theres a web sight turntohelp.com that you can look up dr's in your area. and it;s a lot cheaper than buying pills off the street
Helpful - 0
thanks for the response...we take about 30 a day together...i cant even get out of bed without them...and i know we all know this...i have been in trouble before with drugs, and everyone i know thinks we are doing great...i could not let them down once again, esp now having 2 kids and all...i just need to figure out how to get through the pain...bc the cravings would go, i hate our dealers and paying their rent, bills, etc...so i am ready, just have to do!!
Helpful - 0
thank you guys for responding...I feel so desperate to quit...but my thing is i dont take these to get high, and we take approx. 10-15 a day each, but i take them to function, and i function well...i am a stay at home mommy and the energy it takes to raise these girls is unimaginable...but i also do know this isnt right...unlike most, we have to get them illegally, and that alone makes me feel like ****!!!  i want to say how thankful i am to have stumbled across this site, most everyones words are almost comforting...i guess to know we arent alone in this...heres a little about us...i am 30 and my husband is 23...we met at a job...i introduced him to ice(crystal meth)...long story short, 1 year later we walked away from it, just flushed what we had and left that life...so these pills are killing me...i cannot believe how they have taken ahold of me, and they arent even fun anymore...my hubby is pretty weak when it comes to all of this, so i have to be the strong one, and i dont know how to do that...i am so excited to be here with you guys and look forward to your comments...

Thanks guys!!!
Helpful - 0
i've been addicted to lorcets for 5yrs, when i met my boyfriend i introduced him to my "little blue friend" we both were getting scripts, mine were legite as i have a medical problem, he just took them to get high, and xtra energy. now he has stopped altogther, no problem just some slight w/ds i on the other hand am fighting a huge battle. getting thru the physical w/d are hell, but you'll live and they go away after about 5-7 days, mentally though that crave for the pills is a consuming everyday fight. not to add i need pain meds, but have no self control and abuse them. is there anyone else you can trust to help you. i know tapering is best when you let someone not addicted hold the pills for you. question, how many do you take a day?
Helpful - 0
Sorry to see both of you, if you guys have insurance ask your dr. for subutox or suboxone it is the best out there for weening off oppiates, and the most humane.
Helpful - 0
Who to tell? Can you tell a DR. If you can bring yourselves to do that there is an alternative to coldturkey quitting. Suboxone will allow you to taper down on the ammount of pills you are taking untill you get down to 1 a day. Then you have the choice of stopping all together or continuing to take one a day so that you will not take any of your other pills. They help with the pain and the rest of your withdrawl symptoms while negating any other pain pills that you take. They will also cause you to go into terrible withdrawl if you do take any other opiates. You will have to find a Dr in your area that is certified to write the scripts for them.
As for this forum, it is one of the best places you can come for support. Most of us here, are some type of addict or another. Some of us have quit coldturkey, some with Subuxone tapering, and some with tapering of the painkillers that we actually once took to get high.
Others here are still using and trying to quit. There are also friends and relatives of users, and even some just trying to slow down to thier perscribed dose of pills for thier chronic pain.
No mater what you want, you can find it here,, and we are here to support you.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.