Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

How to tell family

I have been on meds for 9 months now. I really want to stop. I think I am addicted. When I stop the first day is ok but the second day my heart rushes and I feel like I want to scream. My legs hurt so bad. I have had knee surgeries on both legs. That is what started the use of pain meds. My doctor has me on meds vicodin the lowest strength, 4 times a day. Month supply at a time. I really want to tell my husband I have came close but just couldn't get there. My husband use to be on herion and he kicked it cold turkey. I am just on little pills and I feel like it has done so much. I am scared to tell him. A part of me thinks he will understand but another part of me tells me he will get mad and leave me. I think he loves me to much to do that though. How could I let this happen to myself?!?

Can someone offer me any advice on how to tell my husband? I guess I am scared because if I do get off of them. What if something happenes later and I can't take the pain there is no way he would want me to take any medicine. He himself will NOT take any kind of pain pill because of his past addiction.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Great comments by all, very well spoken.

Your married for better or worse, he is an addict trust him and be honest.
An addict gets into more trouble because they tell so many lies they can't keep up with them.

Hopefully he will have more compassion than most and even know how to help you.
Cold turkey is not for everyone going into detox isnt' a bad thing.
I still feel a husband and wife owe each other honesty above all.

good luck
Helpful - 0
First off great job wanting to STOP... Now let me remind you that withdraw from these pills can be just as bad as withdraw from heroin. Sweetie he has been there. Do you not think he will understand? BEEN THERE DONE THAT. He can relate to what you are feeling and what you are going through. It may help you two to grow closer. The difference is you didn't START taking the pills with the frame of mind I WANT TO DO AND TAKE DRUGS. You started just the same as many of us. Good luck sweetie and keep posting. Heather
Helpful - 0
Hey!!!Welcome to the family! You've come to the right place.  I totally agree with Dpilot about your husband being able to understand as he, himself is a recovering addict...might make it easier for him  to relate and support you as opposed to those of us who have spouses that are not addicts!  Don't make lite of your addiction...those "little pills" have ruined many lives as you can so plainly see here on this forum. Whatever your DOC, addiction is addiction. plain and simple!  It gets such a tight grip on our lives that we can't see past them! Please give him the benefit of the doubt that he will only love and support you in this struggle. We are here for you.
Marcie
Helpful - 0
182775 tn?1209736027
Congratulations on wanting to quit and welcome to the Forum.  Here you have a new family who can offer you encouragement and reassurance.

I can't tell you how to tell your husband; but, I can share my story.

I was afraid to tell my wife.  I went to her on Day 1 and told her I was going C/T and would be going through W/D.  I really expected her to say, "Well, you are getting what you deserve."

In stead, and to my surprise, she rallied to help and support me.  Over the past three weeks she keeps saying how happy it is "to have you back" and when I am at a low ebb she reminds me to keep going.

Hope that give you some ideas.  Good luck and keep remembering how wonderful it will feel to be yourself again and not counting on pills to get you through the day.  It isn't going to be easy but will be worth it.

George
Day 22  

Helpful - 0
Don't know how to tell hubby, but if he is a heroine addict he probably already knows from his own experiences that you are having problems. He shoudn't get to mad at you unless he's a really big hipocrit. We all feel things differently though and his C/T withdwawl from heroine took some guts. He should be supportive to you whatever you do if he really loves you. Admitting you have a problem is the first and hardest step. As for taking pills after you do quit, you and he do need to have some reservations about that. If you are an addict you are always an addict and addicts have problems with taking pills the right way and quitting when the pain goes away.  Good Luck
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.