Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
52704 tn?1387020797

Lee23

I woke up thinking about your post yesterday about feeling that you were "better" when you're using, etc.  I don't think it's RIDICULOUS at all.  Most addicts become addicts in the first place because the drug/alcohol fix something that's missing in their brain.  We seem to miss out on the rewards that "normal" people get all the time and take for granted - I know that before I started using I rarely had that sense of well being, that "it's just good to be alive feeling" that keeps most people reasonably happy with life.  I just thought I was missing a chip in my computer or something.

[cont]
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
52704 tn?1387020797
Opiates fixed that IMMEDIATELY.  And I did become instantly better in all regards.  Of course the problem is that the "fix" doesn't last too long.  All to soon, with tolerance to the drug, the "better" was not available to me w/o huge quantities of my drug.  Then, the there was not enough in the world to get or keep med there - I needed to use all the time just to keep myself at a level that wasn't even as good as the "flat-line" that had seemed not-good-enough from before.  I was living to use and using to live.

The problem is almost exclusively one of brain chemistry.  I was missing essential neurotransmitters - even what they call "the feel-good neurotransmitters."  The answer was to give myself amino acid supplements, as aminos are the building blocks of neurotransmitters.  I highly recommend the following books:

"End Your Addiction Now," by Charles Gant
"Living Clean and Sober," by Merlene and David Miller
"The Mood Cure," by Julia Ross

I am still on amino supps with now almost 21 months completely clean from what I considered a hopless addiction - I was literally almost dead from using and abusing.  For me there are other essentials (such as lots of AA Meetings, eating well, regular exercise, learning to live a life based on spiritual principals), but the aminos are an essential element.  A short time off them and I'm back to that feeling where life is a never-ending grind that I must suffer through.  I don't habe to live like that anymore and I no longer need opiates (or crack or meth) to avoid it.

CATUF
Helpful - 0
I know that feeling to...life is wonderful when you are high but when you start coming down and have to take more to get that same euphoric feeling, all you are focusing on is the drugs, how much and will I have enough, the joy of everyday life is gone! That was the turning point for me.  One thought that keeps coming into my head was something I read that Jim Carrey (even though he's not my favorite actor he had an addiction to opiates) When he got clean he said "Life is just OK" I found the positive in that statement in that we are trying to create that constant utopia with pills, when in   the "CLEAN" reality, there will be day to day struggles and bad times, but that just makes the good times, sweeter and we can appreciate them more. None of us can always be "Supermom"! Don't know how much sense that makes to you, but it really struck a chord with me.  You can do this....find your "reality" again!
Marcie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.