Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
185495 tn?1189755819

Methadone and one a day/zinc/magnesium

I was wondering if its okay that I take 84mg methadone with the following supplements: "One-a-Day Weight Smart"  500mg magnesium  50 mg zinc

I am trying to wean down the methadone so I heard that magnesium and zinc were excellent in helping replenish my body during this process. So I bought the two and am going to take one each in addition to the One-a-Day
I'm very nervous. I abused xanax for about a month and a half and had a TERRIBLE withdrawal incident and had to wean down with valium.  
I am almost done with the valium but it is causing me depression.
I began a 1 mg drop this week from my methadone. I've been on MMT for about 1 year. I started at 30 & went up to 85, now I'm at 84. My pickup is every 2 wks, so the taper will be a slow process, but I want to be OFF of it.  I hate the feeling of being in liquid handcuffs. I want to have a child. I am 28/F & I don't want to have a pregnancy being on MMT. I just want to make sure that these doses and vitamins are OKAY to take with the current methadone dose I am on. I'm just so afraid of mixing anything with the methadone since taking the xanax.  That completely turned my world upside down.

8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've taken one capsule of 150mg of Magnesium Citrate twice on Methadone  (20ml or 2ml of Methadose.) and I get very anxious and feel like I've just taken some ecstasy.

I'll do more studies/research though. I'm not sure if it's the mix of the two, or just how my body reacts to Magnesium...
Helpful - 0
i was on mmt while pregnant because it was only option at the time, although it is very sad it was actually the safest way for me AND my baby (because i had a pain pill addiction due to surgery)  My son did not have withdrawals so it is not always a certain thing to happen if u are on methadone and anyways i DID breast feed and was HIGHLY reccomended to do so by the breastfeeding nurse at my hospital. Only a very small percentage of methadone is dispursed through breast milk, so this allows your baby to maintain its stability from firther withdrawals or spasms. It is hard enough for pregnant women that have to be on methadone because the guilt u do feel for your child but then to go to a hospital where their are nurses and doctors that are judgmental on something they are not educated on what so ever!
Helpful - 0
If you look through the archives there was a post by a guy called "Pillpoppa" who recommended taking HUGE doses of zinc and magnesium (far above the recommended safe daily doses of zinc) to wean off methadone. He said that by doing this you could stop methadone cold turkey at any dose with no withdrawls at all (I wish!). I tried taking the zinc and magnesium and they did absolutely nothing for me but I think it's great that you have had some success with them. I may even give it another try.
God bless, Graeme.
Helpful - 0
185495 tn?1189755819
also, I have been taking the zinc and magnesium for about a week and a half.  I must say... it's amazing how zinc really does help me between doses.  I usually wake up and have to immediately take my dose... Since I've been taking the zinc, it's been GREAT.  I even went Saturday until 5PM, not even realizing I hadn't dosed yet.  

I wish I could find out what other vitamins I could take that could help me thru this!
Helpful - 0
185495 tn?1189755819
Your right, I want to increase my drops, but I wanted to start out trying it first and seeing the difference.

of course, I felt none.

I was just afraid, because unfortunately, when I initially tryed weaning down 5mgs, I FREAKED, but it wasn't the methadone, it was xanax that I had also quit... and I think BOTH just affected me and I couldn't handle it.

I am almost done with the valium tapering. It has been working wonderfully.

I haven't had valium in 2 weeks and feel great.

I just want to be steady for a month and then start with higher drops  
Helpful - 0
185545 tn?1331074866
i dont think taking zinc/mag supps shuld b a problem especially if they help wif your anxiety.i have been tapering of methadone too,dropping 5mgs pw.i started at 155 and have plateaued at 65 for a fortnitd.the first 60 mgs was virtually painless.most people on methadone experience acute w/d wen they reach the final quater of their holding dosd.my point is 1 mg a fortnite at your current dose will take 3 years to get off.i would leave reductions like that 4 the last 15-20mgs.good luck.
Helpful - 0
go girl, I was thinking of getting on methadone but, after all the horror stories, forget it.  Im bad enough as it is.  I applaud you for you desicion to get off and I hope it goes good..
Helpful - 0
You are smart and wonderful to want to get off methadone before having a baby. I had worked in the birth center for the last 10 years and methadone addicted babies have to stay for awhile and be weaned off the methadone with morphine. Its very sad. They will not take you off of methadone if you become pregnant either. Many times they increase the dose. I forgot the reason but it will come to me. So getting off before getting pregnant is going to let you take your baby home with you and breast feed. You cant breast feed on methadone either. Good luck with that and hang in there.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.