Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hydrocodone Withdrawals

Hi all, I'm brand new here. I found this forum through Google.  I've been a long time Hydrocodone addict on and off for several years.  A few months ago (during a painfully emotional divorce) I made up my mind to quit.  And I did for a few months and felt great.

But I was able to get some again and slipped back.  I just went through my first bottle of 120 10/325 in a little less than a month.  I ran out about 2 days ago and have been going through bad withdrawals.  I'm due to get my refill by FedEx today. And here is my question:

The withdrawals today are not as bad as yesterday, but I still feel like I'm coming out of my skin.  I have to go into work later and I know sitting in a chair is going to be very difficult, especially for my back (which is the original reason I started on Vicodin).  So should I take a little to ease the withdrawals or just try to tough it out and not take any at all?

Thanks for any suggestions!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've been taking hydrocodones and Xanax daily for the last 2 1/2-3 years and I've stopped cold turkey lastnight, today I don't physically feel bad other than a few aches in my back, I'm having more of a mental withdrawal. What should I be expecting and about how long does it last, I don't want to slow my dosage down I'd rather quit all together but is it safe?
Helpful - 0
There has been a lot of talk about Subutex and Suboxone
here are some facts about both:

What are Suboxone and Subutex?

Subutex and Suboxone are medications approved for the treatment of opiate dependence. Both medicines contain the active ingredient, buprenorphine hydrochloride, which works to reduce the symptoms of opiate dependence.

Subutex contains only buprenorphine hydrochloride. This formulation was developed as the initial product. The second medication, Suboxone contains an additional ingredient called naloxone to guard against misuse.

Subutex is given during the first few days of treatment, while Suboxone is used during the maintenance phase of treatment.

Yes, Suboxone is the formulation used in the majority of patients.

How are Subutex and Suboxone different from the current treatment options for opiate dependence such as methadone?

Currently opiate dependence treatments like methadone can be dispensed only in a limited number of clinics that specialize in addiction treatment. There are not enough addiction treatment centers to help all patients seeking treatment. Subutex and Suboxone are the first narcotic drugs available under the Drug Abuse Treatment Act (DATA) of 2000 for the treatment of opiate dependence that can be prescribed in a doctor
Helpful - 0
Welcome to the site Jerry Lee
For today to get through work I won't say it is ok but may be nessessary to do your job.
What I would do is get some help to detox.
Subutex or Suboxone are really good ways, there are people here that use them.
I used Subutex in detox and it was a god send.
Skyfoxglitter may be able to answer more detailed questions in this regard but taking Vics or percs or whatever is not the way to go that is for sure.

good luck to you and welcome
Helpful - 0
If you are day 2 c/t you will end up much happier if you drop them all together... You are experiencing the worst parts now, and when you burst through, you will end up greatful.

If you wish to taper, and are already on day 2, here is what I suggest.. I have done this a few times and experienced w/ds, but far less severe than c/t...

Anbd just for the record, I am/was up to 15-18 10mg Lorcet/Percocet/Lortab.

Gather 5 pills, drive it into your head these are your last 5 pills, if you do not want to quit, you will not.

The way I did it:

Day 1: 10mg lunch, 10mg 30 minutes before bed. (the time in b/t doses was the worst part of the w/d's)

Day 2: 5mg lunch, 10mg 30 minutes before bed. (had 2 beers in b/t doses, w/ds were less severe.)

Day 3: 5mg lunch, 5mg 30 minutes before bed.

Day 4: 5mg 30 minutes before bed.

Last 2 days you are still experiencing w/ds but IMO far less potent than going c/t.  I actually could sit still, started to have emotions again, and started to realize life is so much better without these things.

This may not work out for you or anyone else, but it kept a less dependant state of mind and I suffered minimal w/ds.  Like I said, the 1st day was by far the hardest to get through, but once I got past that, the process continually got easier.

Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
You're doing well for quitting c/t. If you can hold out I think that would be your best bet. Personally, I tapered off by taking a little less each day. Everyone is different and the way they w/d is different also.

Welcome to the forum. This is a good place to be and you will get lots of support. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have. There will always be someone here to help you.

Take Care......LS
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.