Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

To tell the kids or not??

I was catching up on reading all the posts and the issue of telling the kids or not has come up.  It is totally up to each parent and I can only say what I did.  My son is 15 and my oldest daughter is 13.  My husband and I discussed whether or not to tell them and didn't decide until I was day 2 of w/d.  . They saw the agony I was going through and I was fortunately coherent enough to talk to them about how I was on pain pills for my "legitimate" pain but that I started to take more and more and quickly became addicted. I guess I was hoping to use this as a teachable moment! I never want them to go through what I am going through.  They asked lots of questions, ie.how long it would be, how it happened, etc. and they were really great...helped get my two youngest daughters brkfst, dressed. played w/them, etc. Would help me as much as they could and now that I am feeling better, we talk about how addiction happens and they can see that it is not limited to "street addicts" but can happen to anyone!  I hpe this will deter them from starting drugs. Maybe I was wrong....but hopefully not! There is no guarantee, just do what you think is best for your child!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
176889 tn?1234352582
I think you handled it beautifully...
Helpful - 0
hey marce things are going better physically, mentally it is hard.the weather got nice for 2 days and now it is snowing again.i have been trying to get out of the house a little more.i hope things are better for you.hang in there kid we can do this.what do you call an addict in ohio?           COLD        lol
Helpful - 0
You haven't posted in a little while...glad you're ok...what day are you now?  I think we're at almost the same pt.  How's the energy? Mine waxes and wanes but is definately improving...you're right...we can do this!!! Sleep is still an issue but it beats being "owned" by the pills!
Have a peaceful evening!
Marcie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.