Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Oxycontin help!!!!

I have been taking oxycontin now for 2 years.  I started by taking them orally then went to snorting them; I take about 150mg a day.  I don't know who I am anymore.  I can't live with them and I can't live without them.  This drug has completely taken over my life!  I have tried to stop numerous times but I can't bear with the withdrawls.  I am sure I could go to a methadone clinic but I do not want to replace one addiction with another.  I know I am a strong person and I would like to conquer this evil drug on my own.  Can anyone give me any advice on what I can take to help with the withdrawl symptoms?  Such as any herbal remedies or maybe some sort of supplement from GNC?  I am willing to try anything!!  Please...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
13 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
No, vitamin B6 is as the title suggests a vitamin. It is a member of the family of B vitamins. Zinc is a trace mineral and not a vitamin. If you go to your local health food store and ask the shop assistant they will point you in the right direction.
God bless, Graeme.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
search for the recipe there are two versions floating around. i can't seem to get my copy to work tonight. one is just herbal.
Helpful - 0
Thank you both...I will research that right now.  Anymore help or advice you come across...keep me posted.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
anything you need just post someone will answer even if they don't have the answer..
Helpful - 0
Here's the Thomas recipe - I think I stole this from Vicaddict's last post on the subject:

"1. Valium 10mg (don't get the 5mg... you need it to be strong enough to knock you out)

2. Ultram 100 mg ER (once a day extended release) is best, because you can't over-use it. It also comes in 50mg tabs (you can take 50-100 mg every 4-6 hrs for pain)

3. Clonidine (Catapres) 0.1 mg (this is going to keep your blood pressure down, and kinda "settle" you.

4. A muscle relaxer (optional) I used a mild one (Skelaxin Rx only) since I was also using the Valium.

5. Ask the Dr. About Cymbalta if you are not already on a antidepressant. This is a fairly new drug that is the first SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor... AKA antidepressant) that is also used for muscles spasms and pain.

6. Thomas recipe:

1. L-lysine 500 mg caps

2. Vit B-6 100 mg tabs

3. A good, high potency multi-vitamin ( don't go cheap on this)

4. Imodium

5. BANANAS!!

6. The Thomas recipe also includes the valium and the Clonidine, and you can read about this on the link..."

Wow - I actually may have answered one of my own questions reposting this. lol

In my *personal* experience, Imodium is probably the most important on the list... followed closely by something that helps you sleep (I don't sleep well, even with Ambien CR, Lunesta, Valium, etc.. during WD's). I can tell you this -- WD's sound worse than they seem. Yea, they sound bad, heck, people in WD's will even make them sound bad, but once you look back, it wasn't as bad as it sounded... However -- my own personal demon is pain, and the lack to stop taking, once I start again. Unfortunately I'm starting to accept a life long problem - unless the medical field finds a new medicine that works for my pain -- but I know many that stopped after a couple relapses. Good luck to you! :)
Helpful - 0
The Thomas recipe sounds great and all...but I don't have insurance or a primary care doctor.  How would I obtain all that stuff legally?  I do have a prescription for the xanax bars but they do not seem to help all that much.  And also...the stuff you posted at the bottom about the mulitivitamin..immodiunm...ly(something)...banannas?  Is that an alternative way or in combination with all those prescription pills?
Helpful - 0
Hi. My boyfriend was bad with oxys for a while...I know how it changes you and completely takes over. Saw it happen to him. I'm not so sure, but there's been mention of the Thomas Recipe on this site...I think it helps with w/d...you might want to search it on here to find more about it.  Otherwise I'm sure someone more knowledgable then me will reply to you shortly.
Helpful - 0
Yup.  I was actually thinking about suggesting this recipe to my boyfriend who now has decided to give up lortabs. But Bulldog, you and him are in the same boat, no insurance.  How does one go about it then?
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
Well, since I seem to be the first one up on this Sunday morning, I guess I'll post it. I had it copied onto my computer and am using the vitamins from it as I taper and it is helping me immensely. This has worked wonders for many people. He also includes a disclaimer which I did not have pasted stating that he is not a doctor, just an opiate addict that after many years of experience he developed this and he also reccomends that you discuss the vitamins and use of benzos with a doctor. Everyone, I hope I stated the disclaimer correctly, please correct me if I'm wrong.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper and Magnesium.

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

With breakfast, take the mineral supplement.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.
Helpful - 0
I can't believe I found this website!!  I have only been on for one hour and already gotten so many helpful responses.  I know I have the willpower but this by far is giving me the motivation to keep trying!!
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
you are right you can do it.. and this forum can help you sooooo much. it has helped me beyond belief. just keep posting someone is always around. we all stick on here like glue.
Helpful - 0
Is vitamin B6 the same as Zinc?  
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
you may wanna try to taper down. if thats not possible or you feel you cannot trust yourself then look up the Thomas recipe on this site just type it in the search at the top right it should come up. those are herbal and prescription meds to help with withdrawls.. and welcome you are in the right place. i am currently tapering from vicodin and have been using some of the stuff mentioned.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.