Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Tramadol

Anyone have experience with Tramadol? I'm going through WD's and come across some. I'd like to take for my pain, but not if it's going to reset WD's -- anyone familiar with this situation? Sorry for having 2 topics. I'll be waking up from day 5... if I hurt as bad as i do today, I'm not sure I can stay away from the percs... I'd rather do Tramadol if it wont help. Worse case scenerio - I'm 2 days away from the Vics, *MY* big vice. I want to go a month, not sure that I can... I need a crutch, and hoping Tramadol might relieve enough pain to get me through, but I don't want to restart WD's... HELP!!! ??
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I was on 500 mg of tramodol. Couldn’t kick it alone so am on Suboxone. Prior to suboxone I had a seizure trying to quit it cold turkey. Terribly scary experience. The withdrawals were so tough.
Helpful - 0
Yes, I've been on it for 15 years and am in the process of getting off it.   If you taper off it the withdrawals are manageable.   DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY!!!! or you may experience terrible withdrawals.
Helpful - 0
4640081 tn?1357475263
I have been kicking Tramadol since December 24 2012. The WD pains are worse than I thought they would be. I tapered off a while before quitting . I went from 300 mgs a day to 50 mgs for a day or two then quit. Even with tapering, I am going through a lot. I have found some natural herbal sleeping pills and a tea that helps to relax and calm the horrible jitters. Taking a hot bath with epsom salts helps too. Walking helps. I am waiting to see if the shaking will come to an end any day now.
Helpful - 0
Inspirational post... sadly it helps me non.

With that said,  most pain meds help me none. Some of the better kinds (My personal choice VICS), dullen the pain for me to deal with. Other substitutes either make me feel ill, or no beeter without any assistance. I'm sure there are more meds to help -- maybe even surgeries, but I only have what I have personal exerience. The one's that help me, also hurt me most... this leaves me wondering, am I not man enough to  live with pain and sufferin?? My hopefull guess is no - but even so, I still go through pain and soffering of Withdrawing. I am just a layman person - I mean nothing - but as you can see, there are prominant figures coming our way. Sure they may have alias, but who knows when the next time you'll be talking to the President in disguise.

No one is immune -- we need to be our own communitity dedicated to helping one anoehter. God Bless Us All!!
Helpful - 0
Personally for me, I wouldn't be able to find a happy medium between the 2. Simply because you build a tolerance and require more and more and in the end you are risking Ultram winning.  My opinion for what it is worth, if you are in need of pain control, hold out for the vics, don't mix the 2 your only asking for 2 addictions, and as silly as it may sound, advil works, I was taking Oxy and Norco and no relief, feeling like I was about to pass out from pain and questioning if I just OD'd, called my Dr asked what my options where, I was to the point of begging for some sort of epidural shot or something, he suggest 3-4 advil and damn it worked.

Good Luck and you may want to talk to your doctor about mixing the 2 meds.

*I forgot about the itches on Ultram, I do remember the heavy mood swings after being on them for a month.
Helpful - 0
I ahve been on the tramadol now for 3 months, I went and told my Dr that It makes me very itchy and upsets my stomach. instead of changing it he gave me stomach pills. I still itch, I try now to only take it on the worst days. But what I ahve found that works better is naproxin, it takes a while to get into your system, but after a while, it takes away some of the pain and swelling associated with my back pain. I have degeniritive disc problems and the cartlidge between the vertibre in my lower back has completely disappeared. so my only tru option is surgey, I dont want it, I have enought dependancy problems without getting hooked on pain meds too. Not that I everliked them to begin with. But you can buy Aleve over the counter or the Dr can prescribe the naproxin which is a little stronger than whats on the shelf. I hope this helps a little.
Helpful - 0
My experience with Tramadol... it seems more like an anti-depressant then pain killer.

My pain was there -- but oddly enough I was upbeat about it.

Kind of conflicting moods if you ask me.

Opiate WD's are pretty cut and dry -- 3-4 days FLU -- days 4-6 can be mentall issues -- 7-14 seem motivation issiues as well as cravings.

Cut and dry - seem preety easy... though, they are not... they are da debil!

However, reading about Tramadol -- not only can you experience WD's from this med, it has the added side effect of seizures...OH Boy, FUN!

However, question be -- if you alternate between opiates one day - tramadol the next, can you find a happy medium?

My current situtation - I'm stuck in this dman circle of feeling good and feeling sick -- it's almost down to a 50/50 ratio.... I'd be happy if I could bump it up to something closer to 80/20.

I'm just praying here... I suppose -- Vics for 3 weeks are coming in 3 days. Might as well throw in the towel, eh?! I'm hoping not too... I'm hoping for alternatives to get me out of this jam...
Helpful - 0
I posted a post a few days back on my 4 year tramadol (Ultram) experiance.  Let me just say..wicked wicked wicked wicked.  WD's are worse than vics because there are these bug crawling feelings.  They moved me to 40mg oxy from Tramadol and I still had yucky WD's for a few days. Just sickening to think about *shiver*, it is even suggest that you use vics to taper down from the ultram, Vic WD's are easier to deal with.  You can also siezure from c/t on ultram (depending on the amount your taking).

I didn't find that it helped much with pain, it did take an edge off, if you must take and it was me, I wouldn't take them for more than 3 days.  Your first dose may aggitate you and give you a feeling of being antsy.
Helpful - 0
2 Comments
Grace, this might sound stupid but what is Vic?
Heresbb...Hello.  Vic is short for Vicoden.  

I noticed both your posts are on old threads.  If you're looking for support in getting off Tramadol, I would encourage you to start your own thread by going to the top of this page, where on the right you'll see "Ask a question" in orange.  It's on the right if you see my post and start from here.  

If you begin on the forum itself...like click on Addiction: Substance Abuse while on your profile, you'll see the same "Ask a question" in orange, but at the top of the page in the middle, and below the heading "Addiction: Substance Abuse Community".  
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.