Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
188895 tn?1209437712

Opiate Withdrawals

Hey folks, I am 27 years old, in relatively good health.  I am 48 days sober from a ~120$/day Oxycontin habit.  I can't stress enough that mentally and emotionally I am much better, life still happens but it is how I deal with it that has changed most.  My only issue is that after about 30-35 days I have experienced escalating muscle aches and back pains that is at its worst today.  I've taken advil lately and have noticed that they are worse in the mornings and tend to decrease toward the end of the day.  These pains are worrisome because they seem to be getting worse.  I was just wondering what to expect in respect to how long before they start to get better rather than worse each day?

Days? Weeks? Months?  Is this a normal part of recovery?

Many thanks
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
oh god i feel ur pain.. ive had the restless legs thing when i stopped last year after smoking heroin! im just adjusting onto subutex now and had a whole 2 days ov the leg cramps, i had it in my arms too the 1st night! id say the best thing for them is excercise, hot baths (epsom salts really good btw!) forces magnesium into mucles. its my worst symptom this is! i can handle the sweats, itches, runny nose, the runs, sickness, bugs under the skin but not the restless legs! it stops u from sleeping dunt it!?! u may not feel like much excercise but it does help and if u cant then have a long soak! keep up the good work, your doing great and remember this is not forever! its only a temopry issue so try and keep positive hun. much love and support xxxx
Helpful - 0
1801781 tn?1461629469
Epsom salts in your bath water may help.  Walking helps during the day.  You may have to see a doctor for something (non addictive).  I take something everyday for restless legs.  
Helpful - 0
I think I'm going flippin crazy!!! So I had a pretty rough heroine habit(snorting) but I've been sober for 9 long days. My restless legs actually seems to be getting worse. I'm panicking... This is the only symptom I really have (I realize I'm lucky I don't vomit and have diahreea) but honestly I think I'd take anything over this. Its actually making me mentally crazy i think. Lord help me stay sober.. 3am on a work nite. DOES THIS LAST FOREVER?!
Helpful - 0
I think I'm going flippin crazy!!! So I had a pretty rough heroine habit(snorting) but I've been sober for 9 long days. My restless legs actually seems to be getting worse. I'm panicking... This is the only symptom I really have (I realize I'm lucky I don't vomit and have diahreea) but honestly I think I'd take anything over this. Its actually making me mentally crazy i think. Lord help me stay sober.. 3am on a work nite. DOES THIS LAST FOREVER?!
Helpful - 0
188895 tn?1209437712
thank you both, I really appreciate the feedback. I've just found another great tool to help me maintain my sobriety.  I'll be back later this afternoon.  
Helpful - 0
Welcome and great job on your recover so far,,keep going and never stop trying...

My doctor gave me Magnesium to help my leg cramps, it helped me alot....
Helpful - 0
Morning,
Well yea sometimes it is months .....It depends I guess....alot of ppl here are in chronic pain......

I would get your kidneys checked though....It maybe something that has just happened...Opitates can be horrible for you kidneys and may cause stones...advil would help...but not alot........

Its quite often too after a long term of using...and then quitting and about a month or two, after your body has had time to adjust.....sometimes health issues appear.......
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.