Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
182493 tn?1348052915

detoxingalone.. lets move our post up here

the post is getting pushed down farther and i want others to be able to see it and offer suggestions to help you. like i said just hang on.. focus on feeling better. the cravings are gonna be there. its your choice not to act on them. it just feeds fuel to the fire.. feeds your hungry addiction.
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
182493 tn?1348052915
taking a benedryl is not cheating its one of the active ingredients in tylenol pm.. if that helped you sleep than rock on..
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
i stayed up til midnight.. not too late. that used to be my routine as well. not any more..
Helpful - 0
I slept last night!  I cheated and took a Benadryl, but it worked.  I think mornings are the hardest time for me because my routine was to get up & start my morning with a cup of coffee and a pill.  I dread getting up and facing not being able to do that anymore so I just lay in bed and prolong getting up as long as I can.  Actually on day 1 I didn't get out of bed at all...
Yesterday was half the day, today I managed to get myself out of bed by 1030.  Problem is tomorrow I have to get up at 6:30.  You must stay up really late...I saw some of the posts from last night.  
Helpful - 0
Funny how the 2 go hand in hand.  I had an abusive boyfriend at the time as well...not physically abusive, but emotionally.  Which is almost worse I think.  Anyway, we have a lot to get through, and I've come to terms with the fact that it will always be there, lurking in the shadows of my brain.  We just have to be stronger than those shadows.  Now I'm sounding all philosophical, but you know what I mean!

I'm going to take a stab at getting some sleep (I think(hope) the melatonin is kicking in).  I'll be back in the morning.  Thanks for all your kind words of wisdom!!  
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
yep that how it gets you. i really thought i could handle it. i thought i was responsible enough to take some pills for pain. pain is a tricky thing... i also have to admit that when i left Philly for Florida 4 years ago. i was running from an abusive relationship i had with someone that was 8 years "sober" he had all the behaviors of an active alcoholic with out drinking. I stopped going to AA when i moved here.( i had gone to AA bcause the NA in my area was awful) Then i decided since alcohol was never my "thing" in my addiction I could drink. And i have never still to this day have a problem with drinking. I have a couple drinks maybe once a week. however i do believe all of this is what led me to think I was invincable. that i could handle pain medicine..
Helpful - 0
I think that's the part that is driving me to quit the most.  Not letting the pills take over my life.  You have overcome a lot!  I have a feeling you are much stronger than you give yourself credit for.  From what I've read and experienced, it seems that surgeries are how a lot of people fall into addiction.  Although doctors try to set limits to opiate prescriptions, and look out for "drug-seekers," for someone for addictive tendencies, that first time can be the one that hooks you.  I'll never forget the day I broke my foot and felt for the first time the ecstasy of IV demerol...it was all downhill from then.  That was 2003.  
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
yeah thats ironic. and it will always be there lurking, my story is testimony of that. Good night, hope you sleep some. see you in the am.

stephanie
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
yeah one would think i could have avoided this.. i was a heroin addict in my teens, got clean and sober at 19 started a new life. and i lived that life for more than 5 years before i got a perscription for vicodin for a wisdom tooth extraction that lead to many mouth surgeries due to complications. I also hurt my back and got more. need less to day.. addiction to pills doesn't discriminate doesn't care if you are a recovering heroin addict, doesn't care that i was a tech at at rehab for 3 years, I took pills and i took them incorrectly not at first but eventually i abused them. and i didn't stop after the pills ran out.. I found a way to get more. Its been over 2 years since that first surgery. i would have 7 years off drugs. i now want off of them.. they disrupt my life in too many ways. financially mentally sexually. I haven't wanted to have sex with my husband in a long time. i want all i worked for back. what i let the pills take from me..
Helpful - 0
Wow, that pill seller guy has really gotten people wound-up...I just hope to God nobody fell for his b/s!  
Anyway, you used to be an addiction counselor?  Do you mind me asking, why, with all your knowledge, has this taken ahold of you as well?  
I did get some Melatonin. If that doesn't work alone I'm going to get some Valerian tomorrow.  Wish me luck with sleeping!  
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
also..did you get to run and pick up some Valerian or melatonin?? there is a 85% chance of sleeplessness on day 3.. just my opinion. i would plan ahead.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.