Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pregnant and scared

I will try to make this brief and get everything in. I have been reading posts on this site for about a week and decided today is the day I would seek advice. I had back surgery this past summer and before that was on norcos for 8 months as soon as I started to feel better I was in a really bad accident on the freeway so they gave me more and of course I took them because now I am an addict. I take way more than I am supposed to. That hit a wall and I have been ordering from the internet every since. I found out last Tuesday that I am pregnant with #2 (approx 5/6 weeks now). I took a test the Fri b/f and it was neg so of course I continued with my 15-20 norco a day habit. I took another test on Tuesday and just cried. How could I do that to my unborn child!!! I am so worried what damage I have already done. I immediately took my habit down to 4-5 a day and only took 3 yesterday. This morning I took 1/2 and am on my 7th hour without anything else. I am so determined to do this but am so freaked out about W/D's. My husband doesn
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you all so much!!!! Just reading your posts have made me feel soooo much better about all of this. And I am down to 3 (30mg) a day!! Making progress and next week 2 then 1 and then hopefully a few days of just feeling like **** and I am done with this. If anyone has tapered off of these while prego did you still have the W/D's or did the doc give you something?
Helpful - 0
I'm pretty sure I've read success stories on here about ppl who were pregnant and on opiates ... hang in there!
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
I would talk to your doc. withdrawling while pregnant may be harmful to the baby, due to the fact that your blood pressure will be all over the place. most people have heart palipitations during detox as well. you doc may be able to give you some thing like clonadine or catapress to help with the blood pressure.
Helpful - 0
Thank you everyone for posting so quickly this is such a great forum and I am so glad it is out there! I did read a couple of emails about W/D'ing while prego and that it is really bad for the baby and could cause miscarriage and I FOR SURE do not want that. The pharmacist said that if I can go for 8 hours without W/D's symptoms then cutting back is my best option but that was before I found out I was prego and before the car accident I was attempting to do this same thing, however, I seriously doubt I would have succeed and this pregnancy has given me hope that I can beat this thing once and for all. I have an appt Monday with the nurse practioner but I was thinking about trying to see the doc this week to discuss this with him but I am scared to death to tell him and am freaked that he might mention it at my ultrasound with hubby there. My neighbor was an addict and she came to my husband and asked him to tell her hubby that she was going to rehab that night. He told me later that if I did something like that to him he would leave me so here I am. I am not sure if he really would but I am also not taking that chance. I wish it was still the good ole days when you take a bunch while you have em and then go weeks without and no W/D's. Almost hour 8 and I actually feel good no W/D's so far. I won't go CT but I am only taking 1/2 when I start to feel badly so far so good, I am gaining an extra hour each day.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
that sounds like a good taper plan. go as long as you can with out. like i said before cold turkey sounds like  bad idea in your current condition. best of luck to you..
Helpful - 0
Stick around ... others on this forum who know something about this will help you. I just said a prayer.
Helpful - 0
147172 tn?1226758178
Hi.  Listen, I was prescribed vicodin and percocet throughout my entire pregnancy by my ob/gyn so I don't want you to freak out.
I did not start really abusing it until recently but I took it before I was pregnant and the entire 9 months. I was monitored by my dr and he was well aware of what I was taking.
Those medications at regular dosages have no known effects on the baby BUT if you were to continue taking them throughout and close to delivery your baby could be bron addicted and therefore have to go through withdrawals BUT again, IF the docs know about it they can treat it right away and you won't get into trouble with the law or anything and you won't have your baby taken away, and more often than not it's fine.
A baby born with an opiate addiction cries more, has a lessened sucking reflex, has trouble sleeping but they are able to give it medications to make it more confortable.  
The BEST thing for you to do is to taper off with your doctors supervision.  I stopped taking them a month before I gave birth and she was fine, very healthy.
Do NOT go cold turkey.  It would put too much stress on your body and the baby.
I'm here if you want to talk.
Helpful - 0
Doctors frequently prescribe hydrocodone to women during pregnancy.  Maybe it doesn't pass through to the baby??  The scariest part is telling your doc, but doctors want to help.  That's why they entered the profession.  I know it's easier said than done, but be honest.  Help is there, you just have to ask for it.
Helpful - 0
I was given vicodin while preggo too, my docotor explained that as long as I stuck to the right dosage and stopped (with his help) close to delivery about 3-4wks baby would be fine, and my son is healthy as a horse, had no problems at birth...ZERO w/d. However this is what the FDA says: hydrocodone and acetaminophen is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether it will be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.
So talk to your doctor the sooner the better. And don't worry that will only cause futher stress on you and the baby, I know a lot of doctors do give the medicine to preg. women they just need to moniter and make sure you don't take over the amount... Good luck
Helpful - 0
I agree with most people on here that you need to talk to your doctor and taper off of them. I'm not sure if he can or would say something in front of your husband. You'd think privacy laws would protect that information, but I'm not sure. Please don't beat yourself up about this. You just found out you are pregnant, and are doing everything possible to do the right thing for your baby. Besides, putting more stress on yourself is definatly not good for you or the baby. We all have things we regret, but beating ourselves up about it isn't going to change the past, so take a deep breath and focus on the future of you and your baby and know that it is going to get better. I wish you the best of luck with this. Just remember that everybody here is here for you!
Helpful - 0
You HAVE to get honest with your doctor.  YOU are not a bad person, or mother, or wife.  You can do this.  YOU ARE ALREADY DOING IT>  Breathe and try not to beat yourself up so much.  You will be awhile before you feel better I'm sure, also pregnant...you have your hands full honey.  I AM PRAYING FOR YOU TODAY...speak to the people here and you will feel better.  I know that for a fact.  That is about all I do know...other that YOU have inspired ME today.  I want to hear from you again!!  Promise to stay on and talk with us whenever needed.

Peace~
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.