Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pain medication and withdrawals

I am a drug addict.  Ive been taking drugs (pain meds,anxiety meds and antidepressant meds) for at least 10 years.  Ive been in and out of detox programs several times with no success.  My question is : Do the withdrawals from opiates(morphine, oxycontin, etc) get easier each time you try to detox??  It seems that each time I try to come off of my morphine, the withdrawals are much easier each time I try.  I guess I just like the stuff too much to stay clean.  But I do try to stay clean for at least a week or two.  I also take 400mg of seroquel, 150mg of lyrica and 1 mg clonazapam every night.  Could these meds possibly have an effect on my withdrawal symptoms??  Im just curious about the withdrawals.  Could it be possible that I may have no withdrawal symptoms from coming off 360mg a day of ms contin ??  I take the medication daily and have been taking it daily for over 2 years.  
Any info on this will be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
lag420
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The reason you don't stay clean is very simple. Drugs are not your problem.... they are your solution. They are how you cover your problems up so you don't have to feel them. It's typical addict behavior, we think drugs and alcohol are our problem so we try to eliminate them from our lives, however, we fail to get to the root of our real problems, that we use drugs to cover up, and we are still left with that problem. Then we do what we do best when we have a problem, and that is use our drugs to keep us from feeling it.

I went through countless detoxes, until I finally realized that it just wasn't working. I needed something else to help me, and that something else was the 12 steps. I don't want to preach to you, but it saved my life. It helped me get to the core problems in my life, and realize how fearful I was. Today I live a HAPPY life, because I can look in the mirror and feel confident that I handled the fears that I ran from for my whole life. Today I can look my children in the eye, knowing that I can be a great father to them. And I owe it all to God and the 12 steps that brought me closer to him. I know it sounds like a commercial or something, but I wouldn't suggest it if it didn't work for me. Not bad for someone who shot heroin for 5 years after a 5 year addiction to Oxys.
Helpful - 0
185545 tn?1331074866
the clonazapam would take a lil bit of the edge off the wd 's.my wd's have gotten exponentially worse wif every new attempt to quit.every1's different tho.i ve also found that volume and frequency will determine the extent of wd pain.lil habit over short period=lil pain.big habit over a long period=big pain.
Helpful - 0
I have to agree with Whenwillitend...w/d were not easier each time. They were different each time. All of them were difficult...could have been my state of mind...I don't know.  This is a terrible comparison, but it is the same with pregnancy....each one is completely different from the next (been through it four times and that is the truth!) I think this time was so hard because I felt there was no turning back and I was totally committed. The last two times I went back 5-6 days later because the resolve just was not there for me! You may be lucky and not have a hard time but time will tell. I hope you find your anwsers here and some peace as well.
Helpful - 0
I read to the contrary -- that it is harder each time you go through WD's.

However - I have found no way to tell from WD to WD. My absolute worse was my first. My 2nd hardest was 5th (ish). I'm not a fast learner - so I'm doing it for the 10th (ish) time. I'm currently kicking myself in the butt right now, because the last two times were EASY. One, my only 'real' WD symptom was achey knees (and a Very mild motivation problem). My current WD was physically fairly easy, but I'm having a mild depression problem right now (day 8), and it has lasted longer than any previous WD.

As for the meds you are taking - I'm not familiar with them. I know that when I started taking my add meds again, I thought they helped with WD's - though they aren't helping me at all this time (as a matter of fact, they almost seem to make it worse).

Best of luck to you.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.