Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Prescription coverage

I have a prescription benefit through my employer sponsored health coverage. Is the employer able to see what drugs I am prescribed since they pay a portion of the cost? I think they are privy to the info. Does anyone know for sure?

TIA
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!YOU CAN ALL RELAX~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Helpful - 0
I am ssuming that is only if they were to "ask" to look into your records. Like say you had a problem and had to miss work..they would be able to "request" medical documentation but I do not think it will show your "employer" what it is you take as far as medication or anything else for that matter. Like times when I did work and had to be off with my panic disorder before I was put on disability...now I signed a waiver for release of medical info BUT, I do not think they get into "specifics" but rather state that I was under a doctors care..and as far as diagnosis the HR dept. who handled my case for medical leave is the only one who sees those records..(I think)

I think it would have to involve something with work that would allow them to get any information at all...
Hope this helps
Tracy
Helpful - 0
147172 tn?1226758178
I don't think they are allowed to ask about it or be told.  Your medical records are your medical records.
Now that isn't to say they can't find out if they really tried but I truly doubt it.  I think you can rest easy.  
I know that whenever I talked to someone from my PPO it was like getting into Ft Knonx to get my own information and your company pays either an annual or monthly fee based on how many employees they have not how many drugs their employees take.  The cost is the cost regardless if you fill 1 prescription or if you fill 50.

Check out this website for further info:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/privacy.html
Helpful - 0
If there are provisions put into a specific contract I guess that can happen.
HIPAA is Federal Law across the US all 50 states participate.
That even infringes on the 4th ammendment rights.

That is really personal..........
Helpful - 0
I was reading through the HEPA or whatever it is on the prescription benefit site of my insurance company.  It says the insurance company can share my PHI )protected health information) with the sponsor of the plan.(me employer)  Either I am reading it wrong or my boss will know what I am taking.  I work for a company with less than 20 employees.  Not good.

JOE
Helpful - 0
I'm positive, ever hear of HIPPA Act?

You would have a serious civil suit......
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.